Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Deadlift Grip

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does alternate grip build your body unevenly?

Would it be best to use raps on my max effort?

How hard is snatch grip and should I do it if I want to eventually learn olympic lifting?

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
wolf116 said:

How hard is snatch grip and should I do it if I want to eventually learn olympic lifting?
For bodybuilding purposes, use straps if your grip can't take the strain. Add some direct forearm work on other day(s) if need be. With alternate the stress is imbalanced on each set but if you alternate underhand/overhand on each set then it evens out.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do the alternating thing. I only do 1 heavy set after my warm ups so I just switch which hand is supinated each workout. It feels really weird the first time you switch grips but after a couple workouts it will feel normal. It's working fine for me.

I don't know why you would use straps. I always thought one of the best things about the deadlift is that it increases your grip strength. If your grip isn't strong enough, why not just lower your weight until your grip catches up, instead of using straps and making the imbalance worse?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
If your grip isn't strong enough, why not just lower your weight until your grip catches up, instead of using straps and making the imbalance worse?

Why handcuff overall body development when the deadlift gains are eventually going to come really really slow allowing your grip to catch up anyway?

Couldn't the same argument you make go against using an alternating grip too?

Frink'

Don Juan
Reaction score
No.

Powerlifting purposes - don't use straps. If you want to pursue olympic lifting, don't use straps.
Bodybuilding purposes - doesn't matter

Snatchgrip deads are a good backbuilder. You have to use less weight and are not really hard to learn. If you can learn proper deadlifts, snatchgrips are easy to learn. The olympic lifts are harder though. Might need a coach on those.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would always use straps for powerlifting or bodybuilding. Not for oly lifting for obvious reasons.

I don't care what anyone says - straps improve your grip and 'prime' your hands for the weight, and it will be easier to lift 600lbs strapless once you have lifted it strapped.

Do grip work seperately as well.