Day of the DJ bootcamp

faustus

Don Juan
Reaction score
DJs!
I have been lurking around here for a while, digesting ideas and articles, and have spent the last couple of months self-improving like never before: I have gained focus, determination, new habits, new interests, new friends, passion, and dreams for the future. It is a strange time in my life but also a great time. I know that you can say the same thing.

However, as an up-and-coming 'DJ' I have a failed bootcamp attempt under my belt and little more, and I'm reminded of the idea that 'there is nothing worse than being trapped in an endless cycle of consuming information and taking no action'. So I have decided to put this self-improvement thing into overdrive, to really start living, and to do this bloody boot camp to completion!

So let the fun begin...

faustus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 1, Day 5

I did 25 eye contacts and 'His' today. Not easy to get to this number as pretty much everybody walked with their heads down to the ground, or stared straight ahead and ran through mental lists.

Perplexed one old guy by saying 'Hey, how's it going man' in a real friendly way.

Got some nice smiles from the HBs I made eye contact with.

Didn't experience any strong emotions (excitement, nervousness, joy) out of this at all really, just enjoyed screwing with people's minds.

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That is awesome! I can't believe you did 25! I've tried that before and couldn't do more than 2. You're a real inspiration. I think this sort of thing is more effective than any advice because some of the advice I read asks for me to do and say things that are not like myself. However, there is no one who could not benefit from lowering their inhibitions by approaching strangers with a hello.

What else are you making yourself do in this bootcamp?

faustus

Don Juan
Reaction score
bootcamp

Dapper Swindler,

I've been around this site for about two months, and I wanted to force myself into a bit of action. So I'm going through the famous boot camp course ( you can find it here for download: http://sucs.org/~nicholas/djb/index.php ). I'm just going through the exercises there: might try out some other stuff along the way.

I see you've just arrived this month. Yeah a lot of the advice here seems pretty alien, and it's difficult to imagine yourself applying most of the tips and ideas. I'll tell you what I did -

1) Save everything from the DJ bible ( http://sucs.org/~nicholas/djb/index.php ), and read it all the way through gradually. It's all the best stuff.
2) Search for 'Pook' and read + print off all his posts.
3) Apply these ideas to your life, your self-image, your mindset, your goals in a way that suits you.
4) When you're ready, get yourself into the field in an achievable way with the bootcamp.

Don't let this website add pressure. You'll be taking control of your life and taking action, and all you need to do is look around to know that very few people can do that.

Good luck buddy!

faustus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 1 complete

Week 1, Day 7

Yesterday I did about 15 eye contacts, got a few winks and smiles, but mostly scowls from the troubled people of the town.
People seem to be naturally wary of strangers here in the Uk - week 1 will not do anything for you if you have bad self esteem, but it's a confidence boost in that you're going against people's expectations and not giving a damn. And you do sometimes get smiles.

Did another 10 today along with 'hi's', it was in the small town again so people sort of grunted and scraped their knuckles around in response :)

That's week 1. I'm off to talk to people.

faustus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 2

Conversations I've had so far -

I talked to a woman in a bookshop about her jacket, which had a Japanese design. I asked her if it was from Japan, she said it wasn't. Not a very interesting convo.

I spoke to a guy in a guitar shop about local bands and the music magazine in the city. Turned out he had heard about one of my old magazines. We talked some more about bands. That one lasted about 10 minutes.

Talked to a guy who used to live in my village. We discussed the doctor who used to live in the house that I've just moved into (it's cause of this move that this thread is so rarely updated). That was also 10 minutes.

faustus

Don Juan
Reaction score
week 2 + beginning of week 3

Week 3, Day 4

Got a new connection, so I can start updating this damned bootcamp properly.

I finished week 2, and it was easy. But week 3 is giving me trouble. I have been out on a DJ errand for every day of week 3 so far (I'm on day 4 today, so I've been out into the city three times).

Why is this? A while ago, the last time I tried this bootcamp (the abortive attempt) I did a fantastic cold approach and got a phone number. Yet my confidence is nowhere to be found when I go to speak to a lady.

Damn. I've decided to have a day off today, just to relax and back off from this, and tomorrow I'll go out and make the following improvements;

1) Use the 3-second rule
2) Open with the same thing every time: 'My name's J, what's yours?'
3) Don't make a big mental drama out of it, just think: 'I'm gonna make one approach now', and keep going.
4) Concentrate on just getting through the convos with the first few girls, then go on from there.

This is wierd though. I know I've been able to talk to dateable girls confidently in the past. I think it's just that I'm out of the habit and under-socialized (I am just out of a pretty bad phase).

I think I need to increase the momentum. Try talking to every HB I see until I warm into it. I'm thinking that after the first 12 or so utterly crap approaches, I'll get a bit more comfortable with it.

One step at a time... :D