Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Dangers of quick weight gain?

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are any serious health concerns I should keep in mind while bulking.

Last July I weighed 143lbs fully clothed with a full colon. This afternoon (May 10) I weighed 201.5lbs, I probably wake up around 198.

Im pleased with my appearance and progress, but Im getting a lot of heat from my parents about my eating habits. Ive actually been eating healthier and seemingly less since 185lbs, but still gaining muscle steadily while fat may have even dropped. So much for being a hardgainer...

Anyway, should I be concerned about the health risks? The way I see it (from an uneducated viewpoint mind you), is if my body really didnt want this added weight, it wouldnt have accepted it so readily, and my BF% is not alarming at all. I read of people who eat more than I do and gain nothing.

Any information would be appreciated.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
I'm wondering if there are any serious health concerns I should keep in mind while bulking.

Last July I weighed 143lbs fully clothed with a full colon. This afternoon (May 10) I weighed 201.5lbs, I probably wake up around 198.

Im pleased with my appearance and progress, but Im getting a lot of heat from my parents about my eating habits. Ive actually been eating healthier and seemingly less since 185lbs, but still gaining muscle steadily while fat may have even dropped. So much for being a hardgainer...

Anyway, should I be concerned about the health risks? The way I see it (from an uneducated viewpoint mind you), is if my body really didnt want this added weight, it wouldnt have accepted it so readily, and my BF% is not alarming at all. I read of people who eat more than I do and gain nothing.

Any information would be appreciated.
Those are the remarks of the envious ones you're getting.

* you eat healthier than before
* you exercise
* your bf % dropped

Your healthier than before. If you eat healthy & exercise, you're healthier than the average Joe.

When people give you this nonsense, change the frame: tell them they need to exercise, eat healthier, drop their bf & that you're willing to help them if they want to learn how you did it ;-)

Dare to be different!

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only problems I had were shinsplints for a while and having to buy bigger clothes.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
Those are the remarks of the envious ones you're getting.

* you eat healthier than before
* you exercise
* your bf % dropped

Your healthier than before. If you eat healthy & exercise, you're healthier than the average Joe.

When people give you this nonsense, change the frame: tell them they need to exercise, eat healthier, drop their bf & that you're willing to help them if they want to learn how you did it ;-)

Dare to be different!
Thanks, though I doubt my parents are jealous heh. They come from a small village in Serbia, where reputation and 'fitting in' is everything. They want me to be like so-and-so's kid, who spends his time socializing and going to church, not realizing that in a big city like Toronto no one cares.

And im really not that healthy, I get winded climbing stairs and my heart beats like a drum during low-rep cleans and push presses.

It's hard to gauge the reaction of my peers since I don't have a stable circle, but strangers definitely do act different towards me, as do people at the gym.

Simon, the wardrobe changes suck. I seem to need a new pair of jeans every 2 months. It got to the point where I held back on squats to keep my legs from growing (as retarded as that sounds), but even that couldn't step them.

chancer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
wow what the hell are you eating? I've been struggle with my weight for your years. I've only gained 25lbs since high school, which was 7 years ago. And i'm still underweight :/

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there were times when i would eat just about anything not bolted down. That would seem like a sure way to get fat, but it turned out great.

If you've been consistent with your program and diet but underachieving, PM me with your diet, routine, and stats. Im no expert, but I do know what worked for me, and its not different from what the real experts wil tell you.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh its definitely not pure muscle, no doubt about it. But im not the type to wear tight polo shirts or show off my 6-pac, I dont even go to the beach, my primary concern is looking big with loose clothes. I have very thick quads and hips, perhaps that's where the fat is going, because my upper body still looks very lean, with a minor belly. The upper body of a 180lber, with the lower body of a 220lber.

No steroids here, Im not at all opposed to it, I'm just a total newb who didnt need it. I was malnourished and very weak as a kid, so my starting point was well below average, I guess thats why I gained so quickly. The gains ranged from like 4lbs to 12lbs/month, and seemed to depend on strength gains and exercise variety.

I hear you on the knee problems, Ive been feeling that lately. I now walk akwardly. I can relate to the shoulder problems, my front shoulders seem to be the only thing that gets sore, it rarely feels fully healed. Cardio endurance is much worse.

"Weight which is gained quickly is lost quickly." Can you elaborate? My understanding is that size gained through BB volume training fades quickly, but I stuck to a pure strength program, rarely going above 4 reps, compounds only. During exam periods and time off I ate significantly less and worked out sparingly, and didnt lose much if any weight or strength.

Thanks for the input.