Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Dancing - I suck

Abcd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a senior in high school and I've always felt like an idiot at dances. Other people seem to have these cool moves and **** and if not then at least they can move with some rhythm. But I feel like I'm bobbing up and down looking like a moron. Now from looking at the people around me I would guess that I don't look nearly as bad as I feel. Homecoming was yesterday and I only saw one guy who looked kinda foolish dancing, and even that was cool because he was trying anyway. But I still feel like an idiot.

I actually just started taking a dance class for school this week. We have a fine arts requirement and I figured it would help plus I'd get to put the moves on the ladies. So maybe that will help, but we learn more like modern choreographed dance ****. So how can I learn to at least feel normal at a dance? Are there websites that have tips or anything?

kickman72

Don Juan
Reaction score
i have one think to say **** what they think

Reaction score
No one is looking at you.

They're all wondering about their own dancing skills. As long as you look like you're having fun it doesn't matter how you dance.

It's great that you're getting out there to learn. I don't like how people complain about some fault they think they have, and then farken don't do anything about it.

Abcd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah i know but

Yeah I know it's all cool to say "fvck what they think" but that kinda defeats some of the purpose of dancing. Yeah you're there to have fun for yourself, but I'd also like to impress the ladies. So how can I learn to dance? What I don't understand is how everyone else seems to have learned. Do they go home and practice in front of MTV or something? Cuz I don't have cable lol... Then again, "everyone" defenitely didnt learn, because at most I only see 50 out of my class of 400 actually dancing at dances, if they come at all. So perhaps these people are actually practicing in front of a TV or something? What wierdos... Not that I won't do the same :)

Ol'BlueEyes

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No longer...correct

The other night I was dancing with an old friend of mine (an old babysitter actually). She tried to teach me the Cha-cha and it seemed she had a lot of fun because I couldn't get the damn thing right.

I told her I was Mr. Two-left-feet, and that the only reason I was dancing was to fulfill an old fantasy of getting with the babysitter. HUGE laugh from her (she's married, BTW).

Girls don't mind if you can't dance, just that you're out there.

Bill

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I may have a tip for you: look around you and try to catch some of the other dancers' moves.
And never underestimate the power 2 or 3 beers may hold, they help you forget quite quickly how sucky you think you are at dancing.

Reaction score
Most people in clubs are just jumping up and down like they're full of caffeine and sugar. It's easy to feel like an idiot, but you have to go for the fun of it.

I do think it is a great idea to learn dancing though. Keep it up! It's also a great way to meet the ladies. :D

Abcd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah but still no advice!!

Thanks for all the posts but other than the "look at other people" which I actually tried and I think it worked *somewhat* I still dont have any advice on how to learn to dance. BTW as for meeting ladies at a dance I only have been to HS ones not clubs but just out of curiosity how loud is it at a club? At this dance yesterday we were right up front and it was so amazingly loud there was no way to talk. My ears were ringing so bad afterwards.

On a slightly different topic this was the first dance where I didnt have a raging boner. Very nice! I always have had to be careful when grinding because of this, but last night i guess something changed. Even tho I was really into this girl and she's pretty cute it was a very managable situation in the crotch department. Anti-erection Hollaaa!

SexPDX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is what helped me:

Slow down. Move with the beat, not with the words/melody. Try to disidentity with your mind completely on the dance floor. The more you are THINKING when you are out there the stranger you are going to look. Hope that helps.

-PDX

seloifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret.....

girls don't give a **** if you can dance.... honestly, they don't swoon over a guy who has moves on the dance floor...
now, BALLROOM dancing is a whole different story... if you can swing and stuff, THEN you'll be high on demand in teh female market....... that can easily be learned, just find some dance studio that offers swing classes....

but when it comes to school dances and clubs and stuff..... that kinda dancing doesn' tmatter jack ****.... Simply pretend you're alone in your room dancing to the music..... honestly, you'll impress more girls by being so comfortable with yourself that you can danc elike a moron and still have a good time, than you would if you had some "cool dance moves"

I dance like a friggin fool, but I don't give a **** what people think...... I dance how I would dance alone.... some people give me weird looks, others laugh...... but let me tell ya, teh girls *always* tell me how awesome it is that I can do that.....
prolly because they're so self-conscious, they really respect someone who isn't..... it makes you look more POWERFUL, and more MYSTERIOUS!

basically.... it doesn't matter if you can dance well, so long as you dance to your heart's content :)

PS: I'm serious about ballroom dancing though.... learn to swing :)

JohnnyVegas

Don Juan
Reaction score
I will tell you this right now: there is a little rhythm in all of us. To unleash it you must simply go with the flow. Don't think about it and just move to the music, and you will be fine. If you really want to learn, bust a move and get the ladies to try and "show you up" cuz you're the man.

karmavsDogma

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didn't learn how to dance until way after high school. I was always fascinated with how some guys could see a move and instantly copy it, while I could see a move and instantly butcher it. Many girls took me in as a charity case and tried to teach me, but I couldn't get it. Then, in college, I discovered raves. Nothing will teach you to appreciate a beat, and to just let go and move with the music, like dancing all night (with or without chemical persuasion) to hard pumping techno. Plus, the good parties are usually much cheaper than private lessons (usually 10-20 bucks), and raver hotties abound to teach you if you truly have no groove.

Mercury21

Don Juan
Reaction score
Definently drink more to loosen up!

Its like someone once said: "You don't do things better when you are drunk, you are just less embarrased to do them wrong!"

Herc

Reaction score
Dance Moves

Up until a little bit ago I was a terrible dancer. But, then I started downloading music vids and other videos from Kazaa. Depending on what you want to learn, there is something available for everybody. I am a white male like yourself, with virtually no rhythm who improved drastically. Give it a shot and let me know.
Good luck

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A guy who dances well is either

a) Gay

or

b) Latino

So dude, its okay if you cant dance ;)

Lozz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not True. Alot of guys (not latino or gay) can dance with funky moves and get the girl. You should know some basics.

Absent Minded

Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Dance Moves

Originally posted by Herc
Up until a little bit ago I was a terrible dancer. But, then I started downloading music vids and other videos from Kazaa. Depending on what you want to learn, there is something available for everybody. I am a white male like yourself, with virtually no rhythm who improved drastically. Give it a shot and let me know.
Good luck
And what were these vids called? ;) :)

Fu Fu

Don Juan
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, watch ESPN sportcenter and they will probably have replays of Brad Johnson doing his Super Bowl victory dance. He's more than likey got a hot chick, so that should give you some hope!

Now as far as advice, I would recommend watching some old videos of the best dancer of the last 25 years IMO. And who might that be?

Drumroll Please...................

Michael Jackson!

I'm not talkin about the "Thriller" days, I'm talkin about the "Off the Wall" days. You can even rent some of his videos He has some very simple dance moves that are still being used today by his understudy Usher. LOL

Fu Fu

Bhekizwe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Abcd
I'm a senior in high school and I've always felt like an idiot at dances. Other people seem to have these cool moves and **** and if not then at least they can move with some rhythm. But I feel like I'm bobbing up and down looking like a moron. Now from looking at the people around me I would guess that I don't look nearly as bad as I feel. Homecoming was yesterday and I only saw one guy who looked kinda foolish dancing, and even that was cool because he was trying anyway. But I still feel like an idiot.

I actually just started taking a dance class for school this week. We have a fine arts requirement and I figured it would help plus I'd get to put the moves on the ladies. So maybe that will help, but we learn more like modern choreographed dance ****. So how can I learn to at least feel normal at a dance? Are there websites that have tips or anything?
Loosen up.Lose yourself in the music.The is no one way to dance.Its all about your creativity.Express yourself through your style.Be at ease with yourself
Dancing is 90% attitude,10% skill.