Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cutco Cutlery / Vector Marketing Corporation

Snatchmaster

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gangster Of Love
The phone script is very tight, and effective. I set up the first 7 people I ever called, until the eight person turned me down, and that was because she wanted to call the person who reffered me to her, later she agreed and bought a set. While my closing % for booking appointments didn't stay in the 80-90%, it was very high throughout my carreer with them. I managed to book 50-60 % of my calls on the first try...
So Gangster, 7 of your first 8 set an appointment.

What was your call ratio to appts. set?

What % of appts. bailed?

What was your close ratio for presentations?

What was your close ratio for appts set?

How long was your career with cutco?

Why did you leave?

Please exclude family, friends and everyone you had met prior to cutco from your sales figures.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Snatchmaster
So Gangster, 7 of your first 8 set an appointment.

What was your call ratio to appts. set?

What % of appts. bailed?

What was your close ratio for presentations?

What was your close ratio for appts set?

How long was your career with cutco?

Why did you leave?

Please exclude family, friends and everyone you had met prior to cutco from your sales figures.

That was my first sales job, and I did a lot better than the pesimistic numbers you listed in your original post. Sure, a lot of the people that worked from my office got horrendous numbers, they didn't stick to their script during the phone call, during the demonstration, or during anything, or plain sucked. I was one of the top reps in my district. It is up to you if you are gonna be like everyone else.

That was back in 1997, and I am not about to go back and find out all this information you asked for, dont' have the time nor the interest in that. I still work in sales, and am a top producer in my field. Cutco was just a start for me. I became a superstar at my current job when I decided to go educate myself with programs on sales, communication, etc., and put it to use immediately.

As far as not counting family, friends, etc., guess what? Many relatives and friends didn't buy jack from me, even though they liked me, they had no problem turning me down. The ones that bought did because I knew my product, I believed in it, and more importantly, they liked it and wanted it. Also, plenty of people who were on the fence about the cutlery, ended up buying because by the time I was done, they liked me and wanted to help me, as if I was a friend or family, even though I had just met them 1-2 hours earlier. Go figure!!

My ratios were pretty similar when I presented to friends and family as when I got to the lists of referrals later on. You're probably thinking I am full of it. I'll tell you why it was that way. Reps start with friends and family, when they are just beginning. If you are learning you will definitely be better when you hit the strangers. By the time I did house calls with strangers, my skill set was 10 times better and improving. That is just how I did it. Again, it doesn't work for the mediocre or lousy sales rep. Everybody liked the knives and even when they didn't buy, they gave me tons of referrals. I got an average of about 10-15 per visit, regardless.
As far as the people that bought, let me put it to you this way, nobody ever complained that the knives cut too much. If you get my drift.

With that being said, yes, off course it is somewhat harder to sell to somebody who you don't know, because you have to establish rapport, and that I did, as I took the time to win their trust. I made sure I did the demo in spanish if that's what needed to be done. I talked to them the same way I did to my friends and family, I connected with most of them to the point that pretty much 99% of them would give me referrals, and some would call their friend while I was still in their house cleaning up.

I did close a good 50 percent of those non friend/relative appointments. If they weren't qualified, I knew it wasn't good business, so I wouldn't waste my time. I wasn't even concerned with getting tons of appointments in. I wanted to only see qualified people. Forget about the hourly just for presenting it. I would only see the ones more likely to buy, based on the strict criteria I would use when qualifying. The other reps had the "I need to go heavy on the hours so I can get the hourly rate" mentality. I wasn't about to rely on bunts, walks, singles, and luck. I was there to drive in the runs with extra base hits.

About 1 in 10 maybe flaked, or cancelled. Out of the 9 that I would see, 4-5 would place at least a small order, and 2-3 would buy a set. I did this consistently. So is this job for most people? No, no way. Most are not willing to put in the work, and they blame everything else for their shortcomings. I would laugh when I would hear some of the things the other reps said during demos. A very high percentage of the reps are peons who aren't willing to do what it takes. Those are the tons who quit. Like I said, job not for most.

I worked there for about 9 months, and quit because I got fed up and distracted with the office politics and lack of leadership. The manager would show up to the office once a week and let his assistant, a girl who hadn't earn her position, do the training for the newbies, etc. Although it was totally up to me to determine my paycheck, and as skilled and good a rep I was, I was a little too immature, allowed myself to get lazy and lost my motivation. At that point, that job wasn't for me. I never regreted having worked for them and was glad I did, since it helped me get the basics of selling and forced me to face rejection and improve my sense of humor. I got what I wanted out of my experience, and took the skill and still apply it in my life. Most don't have similar experiences. A lot of reps do a lot better than I did.

The key, once again, is to like it and believe in your product or solution you are presenting. Those are nice knives to have. I'm glad I have a full set. That is why I told Tempest that it might not be the job for him if he can't get passionate about his product. I know sell and provide services that I am very passionate about. I believe in it so much it is a lifestyle. It always has been. I am just glad I can make a good living doing it, because If I were to win the lottery, I would still do it.

I have a few questions for you.

-Did you work for Cutco/Vector?

-Have you worked in sales before?

-Are you currently working in sales?

-If you are, how good are you?

- What is the key to your success?

-Do you think the product you are selling is more important than your attitude and skill set?

-Do you think the best skilled salespeople would do good at any sales job?

Last edited:

Miles Davis

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The only positive thing I took out my experience with Cutco was the free training they provided. It wasn't $150, you just didn't get paid for it. So they gave some sales techniques, etc. I knew it was all a crock of sh*t as a sat there, so I didn't return after training. It's one of those things where you need to go with your gut... If you're not feeling it, retreat right away. Needless to say, I wasn't surprised when some of the people I met there told me the whole thing sucked later on.

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Interview

Well today I did my interview with the company. When the receptionist called me it was very obvious that what she was saying was scripted. I had to prevent myself from laughing!

Anyways, the interview went well. The manager there is a really cool guy. He didn't BS at all, he was very direct and didn't mislead any information. I did some research in advance and found out he was a good guy and stuff from people who have had him as a manager over 6 years ago. This branch is actually one of the top ones in North America, so I don't think I should have any troubles.

There were 3 other people there and I was kind of thinking in the back of my head wondering whether they were ACTUALLY applying for the job, or if it was just a setup and they were there to make it look realistic. It's still in the back of my head. The manager didn't try to make me feel "special" or anything about getting the job or anything, either.

Overall it went well. I'm more confident about the experience now and I'm looking forward to my training this weekend.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tempest is still around. He should fill us in on what happened.

I almost worked for these guys, before I found out how lame it was. The thing with guys on this board is that they are calling it a scam. But there's a big difference between a scam and a crappy job. Vector is not an outright scam from Nigeria, or anything.

Roddy

Reaction score
lol

Well ... i understand that this thread is old but i was a bit disgusted while reading it. Now finally someone to say something good about Vector.

If you work for vector marketing for a month and only sell 2k worth of knives you don't belong in sales.Just to clear a few thing up ... yes you do pay around 100$ dollars for the knives, but i didn't have a problem with that because my first check was around 345 dollars. More than most of you said you made in a month, in order for you to actually succeed you have to have the patience and the mind for it.

I worked for about 3-5 wks before i went back to school, i was asked to come back and i still have my knives. I hhaven't accpeted there offer yet but i'm going to work for them part-time while i work for this car dealership. I make 30% commision and i'm apart of key staff, i made key staff in about 2 wks. I sold about .... 5k - 6k, you just don't wake up one day and say .... I'm a salesman. If you want to suceed that means get off your ass and get to work.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
The best, easiest and most profitable way to learn how to sell is to wait tables. If it's your first time, starting out can be a little slow...but if you get into a decent place you can make a lot of money. Waiting tables is all about sales. There is less pressure because you know you're going to sell something and the people are there because they want to buy from you...so you utilize up-selling...suggest drinks, appetizers, salads, deserts, etc. It's a great first step for anyone wanting to get into sales...and it pays damn good, too.

DarthJuan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember trying a job like this out of high school.
It was selling vacuums.
Sounds pretty similar...they're pretty cryptic in describing what they do to get you to at least show up. They put on a killer presentation of the product and your imagination goes wild about how much potential money you could make.
Then reality sets after the first pitch your give to someone. And you find out how sucky sales can be if you're not built for that type of work.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got this job last summer.

I make $16.85 per demonstration, base pay. If I make a sale, I make 25% commission now. Most sales I make are around $350-500 bucks. It usually takes me 25 calls to get 5 demo's, and out of those 5 demo's, I usually make 1 to 2 sales, some times more sometimes less.

So for every 25 calls I make, I make 1-2 sales averaging out to $800 in sales, with a 25% commission that is $200 for 25 calls which takes about an hour to make, and the 5 demo's take about 4 hours total.

So for 5 hours work, I make on average $200 bucks. That's $40 an hour.

During holidays(christmas, valentines, mothers/fathers day) I can usually sell $700 per customer. The 1-2 sales per 5 demo's stays the same for some reason, but thats about $1400/25% = $350 for 5 ours work = $70 an hour.

So far I've sold upwards of $22 000 of cutlery since last june, working minimal hours(saturday and sunday afternoons, if and when I feel like it), and made roughly $5000 after tax.

That beats flipping burgers if you ask me.

Not to mention the work experience, sales experience, and resume value the job adds.

p.s. the knives are amazing, no joke.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Key Bullets For Me:
* I own the knives.
* I've sold the knives.
* I received my current job partially due to the fact my current boss sold them 30 years before me.
* Everyone whom I sold the knives to LOVES them, and has bought more on their own as I no longer sell them.
* They're an easy product to sell.
* They're one of the best kinds of products to sell: Guaranteed Forever. Read that again.

Where people are mislead...

*Their advertising usually caters to...the lazy, or those looking for HIGH paying hourly jobs with no effort required. "Show up, get paid," are what most people want. That isn't Cutco in anyway. They should re-align their marketing efforts, but they'd rather RECRUIT alot, then wash out a few, rather than target a few and get even fewer. I'm ok with that.
*You get paid based on PER/APPOINTMENT, not hourly, which throws people off. And when you realize an appointment + driving = 2 hours, UNLESS you're very good at scheduling, then you're getting 8-10 per hour.
*You have to buy your DEMO set. However, with my experience you could turn it in. The demo set, for me, was bought at $150, a significant discount, and probably "cost" for such a set. For the broke college student and parents who don't give for such things, they will find it difficult unless they grab a parental loan, or convince their parents of the merit of such a job.

My Experience and Opinion

Compared to life AFTER college, Cutco is CAKE. Kids in college only think it's a ripoff b/c they've never known differently. In the real world, Avon, Tupperware, even online Programs are sold the same. Financial Professionals, beginning Accountants, and more, all market the same way. "Do you know people who could use my service?" The difference being, one is viewed as a professional, the other isn't. Fortunately for the Cutco-pro, buying "pleasure" or avoiding "pain" are the motivations of most consumers, so your wares sell easily to those people.

Sales POST-college works MUCH the same and in some ways much worse, so be THANKFUL for such experiences in your youth which will give you battlefield experience. Pre-college days for many youth is all rosey: go, be hung over, don't have to think, collect a check, spend said money, return to college. I know, I did college. I also did internships, and jobs, that made me miserable, but I had to do them to put gas in my car, while most of my friends got cushy jobs, or no jobs thanks to mom and dad, and when a "job" wasn't rosey, they dropped it, instead of proving their mental fortitude. I get not doing something you don't like...but unless you OWN the biz or are Self-Employed, you're subject to WHATEVER your degree and job market give you.

Day to Day Activity

I'll admit, I didn't know what to expect when I first got there. Sales wouldn't have been my first choice AT all back then. As a 20 year old 'kid', I wanted big money, for no effort, so I could enjoy my summer and save for beer during the last semester. That didn't happen. Turns out, I had to actually DO something to MAKE something. Quite a shoker eh? But it worked out for the best. More than 50% of our recruits washed out after the 1st meeting. Another 50% washed out of what was left. Those who remained, made good money, for the little time we had to put in. They always had great sales contests and the pitch was easy for a college student. Why, you may ask?

Because, Cutco/Vector KNOWS the closing ratio is somewhere around 70% of ALL people given a DEMO, buy 1 thing or more. 70%!!! They sell themselves. Sure, buying something as expensive as a $40 knife is NEW for a majority of your customer base (that's a good thing, b/c it means more PROSPECTS for you), but once they OWN it, if they buy any amount of MEAT, cook on the grill, host parties, gather on holidays, or make desserts, they will need and want those knives. No questions asked. Unlike your TV set, they are guaranteed FOREVER, with free sharpening provided.

All a college student has to do is ask to provide a demonstration for college credit with the OPTION to buy at the end of the presentation, even 1 thing if they so choose. The scissors are even badass. They cut ANYTHING you need in the kitchen, and detach for easy cleaning. The demonstration was had was the "penny demo", where you cut a penny in half with 1 hand (2 for safety). That wowed everyone. My own mother stole my scissors until I moved out because she loved them so much for cutting veggies, or even objects in the house.

The full fledge sets go for more, and surprisingly, ALOT of people buy those, too. As you sell more, you make more, so it encourages salespeople to sell more. During my time I made a few thousand dollars for really no work except having the COURAGE and curiosity to do it. The majority of my class who began wanted to start and just get $20 an hour, NOT realizing, that's the starting pay of alot of healthcare workers in lower-income areas. $20 x 40hours = 800. Beyond that, you need a college degree, or sales experience, or maybe the occasional technical job, which an untrained college student can't get.

The Bad Rap

It's too bad companies like Vector Marketing get a bad rap. My friend in NC sold Cutco, too, during college, but b/c he expected easy things and big money for no work, he was disheartened, too, to learn that he had to make appointments and make 'His way in the world.' My sales manager was an older college student who had interned and sold before, and took this job several hundred miles away from home during the summer. Nice guy. Seemed like a Resident Assistant type. Upbeat. Did his job well in an area near a tough inner city that attracted alot of free-loaders.

Yes, some people may have had bad managers on here, or were desperate for money and were only further enraged to find that you had to PAY some dough to get a return (i.e. investment, this being the ultimate investment IN YOURSELF).

But the product is UNQUESTIONABLY better than most crap being sold told by ANY company...

Do you think it's easy to provide/sell financial advice or plans?
Do you think it's easy to sell/provide pharmaceuticals?
Do you think it's easy to sell advertising?
Do you think it's easy to sell networking solutions, or software programs?
Do you think it's easy to sell cars? (they don't sell themselves)
Etc, etc, etc.

If you don't own the product, don't speak on it. Ok? I've owned it for nearly 7years. Still flawless. Anyone who has bought one, has gone to buy MORE. If, in the off chance someone ever broke it, then they get it replaced. FREE. My uncle/aunt broke theirs...dee, da, dee...using it as a tool for things normal kitchens can't do anyways, and wouldn't be replaced for free for. The knives themselves are RAZOR fvcking sharp, and stay sharp. No more tough meat to cut, no more poor cuts on desserts, sharp cuts on veggies and fruit, thinly cut cheeses. Over time, they repay you. Many of the people who could benefit from them don't think...but it once, own it forever, kind of like Fight Club, except, it really would be the last set you could EVER own. A great gift for a wedding, too.

I would enoucrage anyone who may want to sell POST college and is a GO-getter, or has time to spare and a little money, and wants to be social, do this. I threw it on my resume, with other jobs/internships, and because of the diversity, and the fact I could highlighy ACTUAL results unlike "Worked in an office and typed on a computer," I stuck out more. Fine, you worked at a nice company...but what did you DO there? Can't show much for results on your resume eh? Too bad. Next.

Jobs like that, any job, will boost your chances of future success and of landing a job over someone else. I'd reconsider people's harsh position on what appear to be scams, especially this one, because it's neither. Our generation is just used to cushy, easy jobs that we don't recollect harder times before our parents when jobs like Vector would have people CHOMPING at the bit.

A-Unit

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha, I just got a letter from this company in the mail a few days ago. I knew the name was familiar. It seemed shady so I threw it out. I already have 2 jobs anyway.