critique my workout plan

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
im 16 years old, 5'9'' @ 144 lbs. just got a gym membership today but i dont anticipate to go until saturday.

9 day rotation, 2 days rest after each workout.

Day one:
Bench Press or Dip
Close grip bench press
Military or dumbbell press

Day two:
Squat
Deadlift
Calf Raise
HEAVY Abs

Day three:
Pull-up or pull-down
Bent Row, Dumbell Row, or Hammer Row
Barbell or Dumbell Curl
Hammer Curl

the only questions i have as far as workout goes is what exercises should i be the MOST careful about as far as form goes? im definitely going to have a personal trainer for at least one session to evaluate my form and make sure i do everything properly,and then i have a friend whos dad has been a trainer for many years and from then on he'll watch my form i hope.

furthermore, im basically lost as far as a specific diet plan goes. i also dont know anything about supplementing protein/carb shakes or whatever. i could use directions in both of those areas. if i think of anymore questions ill bring em up.

thanks!!

ps- sources:
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2230

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The split is sensible but deadlifts and squats on the same day are a no-no - unless you mean stiff leg deadlifts. (even then I'd say sumo leg press instead)

Bench press does not substitute dips, it's a tricep exercise. Do this instead of close grip bench if you want. Swap bench press for flat db press.

Swap rows for floor deadlifts IMO on back/biceps day.

Otherwise looks pretty good, well done.

As for diet you can read the bulking guide even though I don't agree with it; http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79541 is my opinion on nutrition.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
for nutrition bro, you can check out IA's diet, he talks about losing fat while on it, but it'll start you off on the right track.
http://www.ironaddicts.com/articles/lose bodyfat.htm

Alex's points were right on, but IA was referring to SLDL after squats.

everything else was pretty darn good, although I think dips can be translated to a chest exercise if you lean forward a bit.

Try that routine out, see how it fits you, but make sure you read the volume of it in IA's articles. Don't go doing 3-4 sets of those things, keep it low volume.

good luck bro.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by semag
for nutrition bro, you can check out IA's diet, he talks about losing fat while on it, but it'll start you off on the right track.
http://www.ironaddicts.com/articles/lose bodyfat.htm

Alex's points were right on, but IA was referring to SLDL after squats.

everything else was pretty darn good, although I think dips can be translated to a chest exercise if you lean forward a bit.

Try that routine out, see how it fits you, but make sure you read the volume of it in IA's articles. Don't go doing 3-4 sets of those things, keep it low volume.

good luck bro.

right, i plan to strictly do 1 set after warm ups for each. anyone know where i can find some tips on 'raising intensity' ? he sort of talks about how intensity needs to be at its highest at all times.

p.s. now that i tihnk about it, how many reps of each thing am i supposed to do? he focuses alot on 20 rep squatting, but otherwise i have no idea. i kinda think its like, warm up with really light weight for 20 reps, then a little heavier for 10, a little heavier for 8, a little heavier for 6, and maximum for 10, which should be about failure time. just wanna clear that up as well maybe?

thanks!

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
warmup will be something like 10--8--5--3--2

or ... .10 -- 5- - 4-- 3-- 2
or ... 10 -- 5--3--2 something like that...
then

I'd say check those articles again, but I'm sure that all your exercises are gonna be in the 5-10 rep range.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
well thats what i was thinking, but he definitely makes it explicit that 20 rep squatting is super effective. would i be doing 6-10 for everything and then 20 for squats?

edit-- people brought it to my attention that the shoulders arent really worked. but doesnt the military press work the shoulders pretty damn well or something?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Military press and deadlifts will blast your shoulders, don't worry (plus most benching).

I wouldn't say 6-10 for everything, I'd say go for failure; don't do a 20-rep squat set if you're a beginner.

He doesn't mean 20 reps with your max weight incidentally. Generally you do 6-8 with your heaviest weight, then do a 20 repper with about 70-75% of the weight.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Military press and deadlifts will blast your shoulders, don't worry (plus most benching).

I wouldn't say 6-10 for everything, I'd say go for failure; don't do a 20-rep squat set if you're a beginner.

He doesn't mean 20 reps with your max weight incidentally. Generally you do 6-8 with your heaviest weight, then do a 20 repper with about 70-75% of the weight.
hmmm, thats interesting ill have to reread it. i was positive he meant you take the weight that is your maximum for 10 reps, and then go and do 20 squats with it. after 10 stop and breath until you can do more, and then again. he even suggests racking the bar for no more than 30 seconds before doing more, as long as you can make it to 20.

also, when i do this i want to be doing as clean a bulk as possible. will the link provided earlier be good enough?

i suspect if im 144lbs, i want to be taking in about about 210 grams of protein everyday, somewhere around 350 carbs. how does that fit in with pre and post workout shakes? which i know nothing about.... (as in, how much protein and whatnot in each if those are my nutrition goals) ?

and also, whats the best protein to buy? this is the one i thought was best but maybe im wrong:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by shagnscoob
hmmm, thats interesting ill have to reread it. i was positive he meant you take the weight that is your maximum for 10 reps, and then go and do 20 squats with it. after 10 stop and breath until you can do more, and then again. he even suggests racking the bar for no more than 30 seconds before doing more, as long as you can make it to 20.
Try doing 20 reps of 180kg. I suspect I'd be hospitalised by the 15th.

also, when i do this i want to be doing as clean a bulk as possible. will the link provided earlier be good enough?
(assuming you meant my thread) If what's read in the link hasn't convinced you, then I won't try to.

i suspect if im 144lbs, i want to be taking in about about 210 grams of protein everyday, somewhere around 350 carbs. how does that fit in with pre and post workout shakes? which i know nothing about.... (as in, how much protein and whatnot in each if those are my nutrition goals) ?
You obviously haven't read my link properly, it's all in there.

and also, whats the best protein to buy? this is the one i thought was best but maybe im wrong:
Whatever you can afford; I'd recommend trueprotein.com if you're in the US, myprotein.co.uk if you're in the UK. Go for the unflavoured stuff so you can afford more.

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you've got a really good start there.

On day one: are you sticking only with flat bench? There is a school of thought that lots of flat bench pressing especially with an elbows out style many use puts the trainer at a much higher risk of chest or shoulder injury, and I am right in line with that.

Dips are a good exercise for chest and triceps although long ago I hurt myself doing weighted dips and no longer do them despite the fact that they are great. I would stick with heavy pressing movements for the most part but dips can be a great addition. As far as substituting them my first inclination is no...but it's not a bad idea to try.

Close grip bench is good, I would consider reverse grip bench as an alternative when want a change from close grip.

As far as day two goes squats and deadlifts on the same day would exhaust me but it looks like you've got more of a powerlifters routine and doing them on the same day isn't always a bad idea. if it works for you it works for you. Right now I'm using a WestSide Barbell style routine where I max on a squat and deadlift variation on the same day and it works quite well for me.

My only thought is that by doing deadlifts on day 2 then doing more back work on day three you might not give your back enough time to recover.

I would do:

Day 1:
Bench variations
close grip or reverse grip
shoulder pressing movement

Day 2:
Squats
Calf raise
heavy abs

Day 3:
Deadlifts
row variation
bicep movement

definately watch your form on bench squat and deadlifts especially..but really form is important on all movements.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
your chest day licks. first of all bench is not the greatest exercise, despite myself doing it, i find it the least effective. add incline AS THIS IS A MUST, dips are great, like you have. add in some flies, it will help develop a better inner chest. and you have 2 exercises for chest before, do at least 3. dont be afraid to do a little work, unless your doing like 6 sets each, but you didnt specify so im guessing 3.

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by vanwilder
your chest day licks. first of all bench is not the greatest exercise, despite myself doing it, i find it the least effective. add incline AS THIS IS A MUST, dips are great, like you have. add in some flies, it will help develop a better inner chest. and you have 2 exercises for chest before, do at least 3. dont be afraid to do a little work, unless your doing like 6 sets each, but you didnt specify so im guessing 3.
one set each. i think alot of theory behind what IA is saying is that you dont need to do that many exercises on one muscle group, and doing so will overwork them.

alex--

reread your link. im gonna do the best i can to stay as lean as possible using the information you provided. ill be aiming for 290g of protein per day. at some point tomorow im going to either go shopping, or make a shopping list and then start making meal plans.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by shagnscoob
one set each. i think alot of theory behind what IA is saying is that you dont need to do that many exercises on one muscle group, and doing so will overwork them.

alex--

reread your link. im gonna do the best i can to stay as lean as possible using the information you provided. ill be aiming for 290g of protein per day. at some point tomorow im going to either go shopping, or make a shopping list and then start making meal plans.
yeah but one set is jsut a tease. that means yourdoing what 2 sets, unless your doing them like the DC training way where there is 4-5 sets in a "Set". 2 sets is going to do **** all imo.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just a tease?

Vanwilder, you do a rest-pause set properly and I assure you, you'll feel FAR from teased.

If you insist on multi-set stuff, then do 3x5 (2-day split) or 5x5 (3-day split).

I still think rest-pause would strip the muscle down much better though. Rp-induced soreness lasts for a couple of days with me, I barely feel straight sets anymore.

(by the way, if someone's daft enough to try and rest-pause something like bb rows, squats or deadlifts, er, um, just don't do it. straight sets do have their place here!)

shagnscoob

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by vanwilder
yeah but one set is jsut a tease. that means yourdoing what 2 sets, unless your doing them like the DC training way where there is 4-5 sets in a "Set". 2 sets is going to do **** all imo.

im almost positive that the one of the most important points of the IA articles was that you can work alot more muscle than people would lead you to believe by just doing one set to failure using a weight that you wouldnt be able to do multiple sets with anyway.

again another question arises, he describes the process of 20 rep squat routine--> he says after 10 it becomes rest-pause until you get to 20. im just wondering what your opinion on that is alex.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im almost positive that the one of the most important points of the IA articles was that you can work alot more muscle than people would lead you to believe by just doing one set to failure using a weight that you wouldnt be able to do multiple sets with anyway.
Yes, similar to rest-pause in principle.

again another question arises, he describes the process of 20 rep squat routine--> he says after 10 it becomes rest-pause until you get to 20. im just wondering what your opinion on that is alex.
Dangerous, is my opinion, depending on the weight you're pushing. If you're squatting 10 (which is a LOT of reps) with your maximum weight you'd be half-dead, rest-pausing it to 20 would just lead to your form suffering and a greater chance of injury .. maybe you can get away with it (just) when you're lifting 100kg or less (though I wouldn't recommend it), but what happens when you're pushing in the 150kg-200kg range? I'm all for blasting it with heavy weights, but SAFELY.

The same effect can be achieved with using a lighter weight after your initial 'heavy' set (i.e. the 10 reps), strip that weight down to about 75% and do 20 - see how hard that is (you'll be breathing like a steam train after the first dozen), and then you'll understand why doing 20 reps (rest-paused or not) with your max weight would be extremely dangerous.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
--I agree shagnscoob... for your squat day try it exactly like this.

Do your max weight for 6, a weight where you almost fail on rep 6. let's say that's 200 lbs.

Then... take that weight and multiply it by .75, and do 20. (that'd be 75%) if it's 200. that means you're gonna rep 150 for 20. Trust me, it will be fukkin hard.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you never said anything about rest pauses.... i said unless your doing it like dc which is rest pauses, then 1 set is not enough.

vanwilder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
Just a tease?

If you insist on multi-set stuff, then do 3x5 (2-day split) or 5x5 (3-day split).

I still think rest-pause would strip the muscle down much better though. Rp-induced soreness lasts for a couple of days with me, I barely feel straight sets anymore.

(by the way, if someone's daft enough to try and rest-pause something like bb rows, squats or deadlifts, er, um, just don't do it. straight sets do have their place here!)
read my post above..... i never said there is anything wrong with rest pauses.

If you insist on multi-set stuff, then do 3x5 (2-day split) or 5x5 (3-day split). --> no