Creatine Questions

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to creatine. Just a few questions:

- Do I take it before or after the workout?

- Do I still take it on the off days?

- Juice or water? Which one to mix it with?

Thanks.

JoeBlack

Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, some random info on creatine.

Don't load up. Theres no need to..... Stick to 5 grams a day.

Don't go for the super formula crap, just get plain ole creatine monohydrate. I use the one from www.atlargenutrition.com its a good price.

Take creatine immediately after your workout.

Yes, take it on off days.

Creatine is shown to be much better abosrbed if taken with high GI carbs. The highest you can get is dextrose. Grab some dextrose its very cheap and mix 50grams of dextrose with 5 grams of creatine and you'll be on the right track!

Continue to drink lots of water throughout the day also.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What'll happen is the creatine will 'hold on' to the water, making you look bigger while you're on it. When you come off, you lose that water but the muscle gained remains. How's your diet looking - that's more important than what you're taking...

MrFitness880

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My preference was always to take it before. But i've also tried 1/2 before and 1/2 after which wasnt bad. try and see what you like.

i never took it on off days, but i'm not sure on this one

You want high GI carbs that are non-acidic ie no grape juice. i use blue powerade powder

creatine does two things. it allows quicker regeneration of ATP from ADP and allows your cells to stay optimally hydrated. Well hydrated cells are more likely to split (otherwise they die - so they split)

I never really lost much water when off creatine. It varies, but it shouldnt be significant

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
About creatine. I have read that it's a compound found in meat and fish, is that right?

So if you eat plenty of meat and fish, is it worth using a creatine supplement?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Your body produces creatine, and for the average person, there is enough. However, studies have shown that some athletes do benefit from creatine supplements, either by taking a supplement of creatine monohydrate, or by eating more meat. Meat, fish and poultry contain excellent supplies of creatine.

According to the experts at Tuft's, it isn't the creatine that builds the muscle or makes you faster, it just allows the body to work harder to do so. It seems that even the ancient Greek athletes unknowingly took advantage of creatine supplementation by increasing meat in their diet prior to competition.

According to a report published in the monthly newsletter 'Environmental Nutrition,' studies show that taking 20 grams of creatine monohydrate for five days, followed by a maintenance dose of two to five grams per day can bulk up muscle and improve performance. However, it is important to note here that different sources recommend different rates of supplementation.

Muscles can store creatine, so more is not necessarily better because excess will be excreted in your urine. That can mean money down the toilet if your muscles are already loaded. It may be more economical to get your creatine from a diet that contains low fat meat and poultry as those foods supply other important nutrients that an athlete needs such a protein and iron. "

- Taken from http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/nutritionist/qas/0,,240104_111551,00.html

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My diet isn't all that great, I'll admit it. However, I'm trying to follow DIESEL's guide to bulking. I mainly have steak, tuna, or peanut butter throughout the day. I have been inhaling water like it's going out of style the past two weeks. Just started lifting (again) last week.

I'll get some blue powerade soon (that's my favorite) since someone said it works well with Creatine. I also won't do a loading phase, just a maintnence amount the whole time.

How long should I cycle it for?

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True. I'd say go with Fina if your goal is massive bulking. Plus, it's easy to make at your house - and cheap, at only 100ish for the pellets and a kit...

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by [T]he ishop
True. I'd say go with Fina if your goal is massive bulking. Plus, it's easy to make at your house - and cheap, at only 100ish for the pellets and a kit...

Crazy. Oral steriods kill the liver and have terrible absorption.

For creatine, you don't need to cycle. Just 5g/day whenever you feel best. It is naturally found in meat, poultry, and fish, but not in such a large amount. Drink more water and increase your potassium intake because your chances of getting muscle cramps increases.

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There is so much misinformation on this board it's just saddening.

God dam you people are stupid, not only that, but you pass this nonsense B.S. on to others.

California Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eulogy
There is so much misinformation on this board it's just saddening.

God dam you people are stupid, not only that, but you pass this nonsense B.S. on to others.
enlighten us, master.

Omega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To be completely honest, if you look like whta you did in the posted picture of yourself, there's no need to start with creatine. Use Whey powder as your suppliment along with a multivitamen and a 40/40/20 (Carbs/protein/fat) split for your diet. If your bulking 18-20x BW, 10-12x for cutting. You only need creatine when you start to get into intermediate training when you'll actually notice the effects. When you begin training, you automatically have newbie gains so there'd be no point in taking it.

When you use creatine, you have a loading stage (use directions), which you need to use to have your body activate its ability to hold more creatine then usual. Then (use directions) continue with a cycle for about 6-8 weeks with directed ammount dependant on the brand. When using creatine, drink 3-4 leters of water daily to make sure your not dehydrating yourself as creatine cycles are dependant on water to perform.

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by California Love
enlighten us, master.
I'm only going to cover creatine for now, as in regards to this thread.

1) Always load creatine.

2) Over 95% of body creatine is in your muscles. To determine the amount of creatine needed you need to determine your LBM.

3) Use a 6-day loading regimen using 0.5 grams of creatine per kg of muscle weight.

4) Drop to 25% of the loading dose as the maintenance criterion.

5) (this one is subjective) I recommend taking creatine with a 50:50 mix of grape juice and grapefruit juice. Grapefruit juice contains acids and enzymes that reduce stomach acidity by stimulating the pancreas the release acid buffering chemicals. Contrary to popular belief, acidic juices do not destroy creatine.

6) More is NOT better. If you do not respond to creatine, it is due to insulin resistance. Overcoming this obstacle is a whole different chapter, but you can start by adding R-ALA, chromium picolinate and EFAS to your creatine mix.

7) Use pure creatine monohydrate. Everything else is horse manueur.

DJUofS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eulogy
1) Always load creatine.
Wrong. I forget what University did the study, but they conducted a test on a group of people who loaded, and a group who took in slightly more everyday instead of loading. Both groups in the long run took in the same amount of creatine over the same amount of time and both had the same results. Loading is not needed.

From personal experience, I tried a loading phase. Then I started taking the same amount per day. My results backed this study.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Blah. Head...Hurting...Too much...Conflictions...

I'm gonna try the "no loading phase, Blue Powerade, mix after workout, eat and drink like a horse" style and see how that does.

Fatality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by crazykid
Ok, I'm new to creatine. Just a few questions:

- Do I take it before or after the workout?

- Do I still take it on the off days?

- Juice or water? Which one to mix it with?

Thanks.
You can take half of it about an hour before and the other half immediately after the workout.

Yes take it on off days.

Water or juice whatever you want.

Don't expect creatine to work miracles. It is very overrated. If you can bench press 225 for 10 reps, it will help you squueze out that 11th and maybe 12th rep. THAT'S IT! If your diet and training are bad you can forget about those 2 extra reps.

I say save your money for bodybuilding foods and vitamins.

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Creatine Questions

Originally posted by Fatality
You can take half of it about an hour before and the other half immediately after the workout.

Yes take it on off days.

Water or juice whatever you want.

Don't expect creatine to work miracles. It is very overrated. If you can bench press 225 for 10 reps, it will help you squueze out that 11th and maybe 12th rep. THAT'S IT! If your diet and training are bad you can forget about those 2 extra reps.

I say save your money for bodybuilding foods and vitamins.
I don't expect miracles. I mainly want to test it out and see what happens.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For ****s sake.

Do you think all the old body builders took creatine? Took all these new-found things that make you huge? No.

Most of the people on this board dont even need half of the stuff that everyone talks about. Hell, all I use is a multivitimin and whey powder VERY occasionally. When I was at 175 I looked pretty good and all I did was eat a shed load of good food. Thats whats most important. EATING the food.

All these people that are 150-165lbs that take in 200+ grams of protein, have 3 protein shakes a day, cycle creatine, drink green tea, take glutamin, take ZMA and all that crap really does make me laugh. It's like everyones forgotten that if you eat good and eat lots, you can still get excellent results without all the expensive suppliments.

I say you put the money back in the bank, clean up your diet and train like a man SHOULD train.