Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Creatine FAQ

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Creatine

What Is It?

“A nitrogenous organic acid, C4H9N3O2, that is found in the muscle tissue of vertebrates mainly in the form of phosphocreatine and supplies energy for muscle contraction.” That is the definition taken directly from the dictionary. In clearer terms, creatine is a compound composed of glycine, methionine, and arginine, three different amino acids. CREATINE IS NOT A STEROID! I REPEA, CREATINE IS NOT A STEROID! Creatine was discovered in 1832 by a French Scientist named Chevreul, but it was not until 1923 that scientists discovered the importance of creatine when they discovered that over 95 percent of creatine is stored in muscle tissue.

Is Creatine Natural?

Absolutely. Creatine is produced in the liver, pancreas, and kidneys and gets transported to the body’s muscles by way of the bloodstream. You probably have even taken in some creatine without realizing it when eating foods such as beef, salmon, and tuna although most of the creatine is destroyed when they are cooked. In fact, phosphocreatine, what creatine is converted into when it reaches the muscles, is the first compound broken down during anaerobic respiration.

What Does It Do?

Studies have shown that creatine can increase one’s muscle mass in just a couple of weeks. It minimizes protein breakdown in your muscles which leads to increased energy. Creatine is responsible for cellular energy production when it is in the form of phosphocreatine (creatine phosphate) since it regenerates ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) in the body’s skeletal muscle. Muscle contraction is not possible without the presence of ATP.

Are There Any Side Effects?

There have been no studies showing any drastic harmful effects from the supplementation of creatine since it has been discovered. However, creatine increases the water absorption to the body’s muscles which means that it is necessary to drink more water while on creatine. Should you not drink sufficient amounts of water, dehydration could potentially occur. I recommend drinking around a gallon of water per day while on creatine. You may also need to visit the bathroom more often than usual while taking creatine.

How much should be taken on typical maintenance?

During typical maintenance a person should take 5 to 15 grams of creatine per day. I believe that it’s the most beneficial to take your creatine 30 minutes prior to your workout with some sort of high GI (glycemic index) carbohydrates and 5 grams immediately following your workout mixed again with some sort of high GI carb. Should you choose to take another 5 grams I recommend taking them on the opposite end of the day as your workout is.

Should I Cycle Creatine?

While it’s definitely not necessary to cycle creatine to see results, many individuals have responded greatly to the cycling of creatine. Your body is very smart, and over time it gets used to things and does not respond as drastically to them. For example, you should change around your routine every couple months to shock your muscles since they get used to the same exercises and do not elicit as much of a response. The same goes for creatine. Your body gets accustomed to taking the creatine and does not respond as well. If you choose to cycle, when you come back, you could potentially see results as you did when you first started taking creatine. I recommend cycling creatine with six weeks on and then two weeks off.

What Is Loading?

Many people who are first trying creatine go on a loading phase. During this phase, just like the name says, you “load”or saturate your muscles with creatine. During this time you should be taking between 20 to 30 grams per day. Loading should only last around four or five days before reducing to a normal dosage of 5 to 15 grams of protein per day.

The Importance of Insulin Spiking

Insulin is perhaps one of the most anabolic hormones in the body. It is secreted by the pancreas and controls the body’s blood sugar or glucose levels. Insulin spiking plays a major role in both pre and post workout supplementation of creatine.

As stated before, creatine phosphate is the first compound broken down by the body for energy during anaerobic respiration (lifting weights is anaerobic). Taking your creatine pre workout by itself will not necessarily help give you energy for your workout though. Creatine can take up to over one week to reach your muscles when taken by itself. This is where insulin comes into play. Insulin spikes help shuttle creatine into your muscles quickly. This is why it is important to mix 30 to 40 grams of some sort of High Glycemic Index carbohydrates with your creatine. The Glycemic Index is a measurement of how much insulin is secreted by the pancreas when the carbohydrate is digested. The two best products to mix your creatine with are dextrose (another name for glucose) and maltodextrin (a polymer of glucose).

The mixing of high GI carbs is also important for post workout supplementation of creatine as well. After you lift weights your muscles are at the most need of creatine since they have just been broken down and need rebuilding. In my opinion, post workout is the most important time to take your creatine. I suggest again mixing 40 to 50 grams of some kind of high GI carb with your creatine post workout.

***Attention- If you choose to take your creatine with a juice to spike insulin. Stick with grape juice. DO NOT USE ACIDIC JUICES SUCH AS GRAPEFRUIT JUICE OR ORANGE JUICE.

What Should I Take Creatine with when it’s non pre or post workout?

Just mix your creatine with water. There is no need to consume carbohydrates with it as it is unnecessary to spike your insulin at this time.

Is It Ok to Take Creatine while Cutting?

There is nothing wrong with taking creatine while cutting. Creatine has 0 calories so it will not affect the calorie deficit that you are trying to create. It will also help you keep muscle size.

What about Liquid Creatine?

DO NOT USE LIQUID CREATINE OR SERUM! The companies claim that liquid creatine helps with the absorption. This is true, but, the creatine is easier absorbed into the blood, not your muscles. Not to mention, over time the creatine will degrade in water and become a waste product called creatinine. Creatinine is useless to your body and will just be excreted by way of the excretory system.

References:

-www.dictionary.com
-Layne Norton’s “Creatine: Fact and Fiction” article. Courtesy of www.bodybuilding.com
-Phano Paul Som’s “Cycling Supplements” article. Courtesy of www.bodybuilding.com
-Bodybuilding.com’s “Creatine Product FAQ”. Courtesy of www.bodybuilding.com
-Big Cat’s “Creatine, Ribose, and Insulin Potentiators” article. Courtesy of www.bodybuilding.com
-www.creatinefacts.com

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post !

They should sticky this, so we can preempt the retards that post on this board saying creatine is poisonous and will kill us.

D

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I remember someone making a post about "Creatine Bible" or something like that, it was similar to this and he got flamed.... you guys...

Anyway, good post.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good info by my bros at bb.com. If it wasn't in there, I also suggest protein with creatine as well. After a workout, 5g creatine, 50g whey, and 50g malto or 25g malto and 25g dextrose. Some even bump the carbs to 75g or 100g

Elimidate

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice one! Bump.

I picked up some Prolab Creatine powder today since I heard this brand is the best.

Do you guys agree?

Elimidate

NEWBIE101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Elimidate

I picked up some Prolab Creatine powder today since I heard this brand is the best.

Do you guys agree?
Definitely. Prolab is good stuff at a cheap price. Good luck.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I forgot too. ADD SOME ALA TO YOUR CREATINE. Not in powder form either. Pop the capsules. Try 250mg and then go from there. MRM has some good stuff as well as other companies.

It aint cheap, but it's good shiznit. :)

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For the BEST creatine you don't go by companies. You go by who makes it.

if it isn't ULTRAPURE creatine, or CREAPURE creatine, don't get it. It will say on the label if it is. Prolab uses Creapure.

Creapure is patented by SKW and Ultrapure by DSM chemicals.