Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

could i move to LA with 10K?

btownbuck2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So i've pretty much decided i'm going to pursue the stand up comedy dream. I've got a college degree, internships, and am currently working for a company in Indiana trying to save up some cash. If I don't get fired, by next May I'll have close to 30K. Worst case scenario I'll have 10k. is that enough to move to LA?

I figure when I first get there I can get a job at Mcdonald's or Burger King and live in a **** apartment. I would go to NYC but it gets cold there. I figure with LA if I have to be homeless for a bit I can at least sleep outside.

Thoughts? How long will 10K stretch in LA?

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Los Angeles is expensive. 10K is not enough of a cushion.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have a car? If you do that will help. If not, that's gonna take a bite.

Figure 1-2 K for a dependable ride.

If you check around, you can find weekly apartment rentals for 700 a month, but you'll have some sketchy neighbors.

That should take you 2-3 months, if you add in food.

If you get a minimum wage job, for 20-30 hours a week, that MAY give you enough to cover rent, maybe, after taxes.

Hustlaz Ambition

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
With a 10k salary you're going to be among poor people for sure. California has too many taxes so it isn't even worth being wealthy there.

Living in a poor area with all its gangs, illegal to carry a gun in California, and being overrun with a bunch of crazy wetback gangs? No thanks, California is SO 1990s people are leaving Cali by the 100s each year for a reason.

Beowolf

Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't have to go all the way to LA. There are many famous comedians who are from Chicago, like Obama for instance.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
$10k is a fine cushion. You will find some kind of job within a month, even if it's folding clothes at the Gap. I moved to LA with far less. I got a big apartment with a roommate and we paid $650 each, $822 in today's dollars. The place had a small pool. And no it was not in a poor area with gangs.

My advice is that you don't get sucked into "new car" culture. It'll be tempting to finance some sweet ride. Better to buy used and get a small loan from a bank if you need. If you already have a car that's great.

Follow your dream and you'll find a way to make it work.

btownbuck2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
taiyuu_otoko said:
Do you have a car? If you do that will help. If not, that's gonna take a bite.

Figure 1-2 K for a dependable ride.

If you check around, you can find weekly apartment rentals for 700 a month, but you'll have some sketchy neighbors.

That should take you 2-3 months, if you add in food.

If you get a minimum wage job, for 20-30 hours a week, that MAY give you enough to cover rent, maybe, after taxes.

Yeah I have a car. It's old though. It's a 94' Altima. The guy I bought it from knows cars like nobody's business and is a trusted family friend. He told me it'll get me to California. The only problem is that I need it to do more than just get me there. I don't want to get to LA and then have it die.

btownbuck2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
samspade said:
$10k is a fine cushion. You will find some kind of job within a month, even if it's folding clothes at the Gap. I moved to LA with far less. I got a big apartment with a roommate and we paid $650 each, $822 in today's dollars. The place had a small pool. And no it was not in a poor area with gangs.

My advice is that you don't get sucked into "new car" culture. It'll be tempting to finance some sweet ride. Better to buy used and get a small loan from a bank if you need. If you already have a car that's great.

Follow your dream and you'll find a way to make it work.
When and where did you move from?

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
btownbuck2012 said:
When and where did you move from?
I moved there in 2002. That's why I adjusted my rent for inflation for you. I moved from NYC, so I was used to expensive. Lived in the Los Feliz area which is on the east side, near Burbank and Hollywood.