Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Core VS. Accessory

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My friend and I were arguing about this, and just seeing if maybe I should change my viewpoint.

Basically, I am a smaller than average guy ... 6'1, 160 LBS (smaller, weight wise).

Anyway, I work out and am making steady progress, but still have a weak core (legs,back,chest).

I was working out with this friend, him being bigger and stronger, and he was saying that concentrating on the core lifts (squat, deads, bench, rows ..etc..) is important, but I should not neglect accessory work either (arms,shoulders,abs).

So, being limited with time in the gym, should I focus on all the muscle groups (which would take time from my core time) or should I stick to the core exercises until I gain a stronger core and more mass ?

Thanks for any input

Last edited:

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
your core is legs, back, chest?
What is there left?

The compound lifts are the main thing, accessory work is for when you encounter a weaker point.
Like on your bench. What's harder? Getting it off the chest or locking out? If it's the former, chest supplementals! The latter? Tricep!

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was looking for this thread, assuming I posted it in H&F or for some reason Anything else...... can the mods move this thread to H&F ? Thanks.

Mrs:
thanks for the reply, it was helpful.
And exactly, there isn't much left except for arms/back/abs. So should I forget about these muscle groups and throw them in when they start lagging (IE: your example?)

SAFC

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your shoulders and arms get hit pretty hard with compound exercises such as bench, military press, pullups, dips and to some extent, deadlift. If you want to work more on your abs, maybe try a few pullthroughs/leg raises/weighted crunches etc.

If you can squat and deadlift big numbers, your core isn't going to be small.