Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Contacting Employers via LinkedIn

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So...I'm terribly frustrated with my career right now.

I work for a public university as an Art Director/Web Developer. I have great amounts of flex time, a pension, 401K, etc. I can take 2 hour lunch breaks and go workout, and just make up the hours later on the weekend if I'm bored or that night if I want. As long as I get the job done, our department director doesn't care. The problem? I have 12 years of experience and my pay sucks.

Well...it's not that bad, really...

I worked in the corporate/insurance world as Web Developer for two years and hated it. The politics, the micromanagement, a boss who I butted heads with (not a good situation). However, the pay there was decent, they had bonuses, and the Developers have the potential to make some great money if they kiss a ton of ass. I left because I hated that job and the university job presented itself for better pay ($10K more) and I didn't have to relocate.

So, I've come to the conclusion that I need to leave the university and don't want to go corporate again. The job is a dead end. I receive no bonuses and I'm not growing creatively.

This leaves me with creative agencies...which has always been my endgame anyways. The pay is better, the projects are more diverse, and it will get me out of the town I currently live in so I can start a new life.

The big problem is that I cannot get my foot in the door at all the agencies I apply to. I think I'm dealing with an HR staff that sees that I have no agency experience and they promptly trash my resume without even bothering to look at my work (which is great - I've worked with Nike, ESPN, Pepsi, CBS, and GMC due to our athletic sponsorships/partnerships). I have all technical knowledge required, and after checking the portfolios of the other directors at the agency, I can safely say that my work is indeed better.

I want to circumvent the HR staffs and directly contact my would-be managers since they have better understanding of talent and what I would bring to the agency. I have found a couple of them on LinkedIn and feel like I should reach out to them, tell them that I'm interested, and pass along my work. After all, the site is about making connections.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Am I being a nuisance for bothering these guys?

Levex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't worry about being a nuisance. If you annoy them and don't get the job, is that really any worse than not annoying them and still not having the job?

I can give you one piece of advice though. Do not message them asking for a position at their company and showing off your work, you have to be more subtle than that to get anywhere.

Message them and ask for their advice. Just say you are trying to better your skills to advance your career and would appreciate some feedback on your work from somebody who is successful in the industry to see what you can improve on. People like being regarded as an expert and are much more likely to respond to that as opposed to "look at my sht, i am better than anybody at your company! hire me hire me!!" :)

Try to develop some rapport, ask them some things about working at an agency, and THEN mention something along the lines of if they like your work to consider you for employment. Even if you don't get that job you may get some insights of what they are looking for and have a better chance next time.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. As Levex said, message them for advice, to review your resume, or ask if you can buy them a coffee and pick their brains.

You might also use LinkedIn to see if anyone you know can make an introduction. But more and more I'm realizing you have to do this shyt yourself. My advice is to be earnest. People begin to act guarded after years in the professional world. Show a little eagerness and willingness. Remember people love talking about themselves and being sought ought for advice - it feeds their ego. The problem is that they're busy so you have to find a way to get 10 minutes of their time.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the LinkedIn stuff, but I'd probably just email them directly and ask to come meet them when their schedule permits. Or hand deliver your resumes. Couldn't hurt.

expos said:
I worked in the corporate/insurance world as Web Developer for two years and hated it. The politics, the micromanagement, a boss who I butted heads with (not a good situation). However, the pay there was decent, they had bonuses, and the Developers have the potential to make some great money if they kiss a ton of ass.
This is what stood out to me in your post. Have to remedy this situation. I'm not saying you have to kiss ass, but you're going to have to get along with people and quit butting heads. At least do it diplomatically. You're going to have to learn to play that game. You don't have to dive into the politics balls deep, but you have to learn to live with it.

expos

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speed dawg said:
This is what stood out to me in your post. Have to remedy this situation. I'm not saying you have to kiss ass, but you're going to have to get along with people and quit butting heads. At least do it diplomatically. You're going to have to learn to play that game. You don't have to dive into the politics balls deep, but you have to learn to live with it.
Totally agree. It was my first stint in the corporate structure, I was 25, and it was my second job out of college. Still learning a lot at that point, but it was obvious that the job was not going to pan out. I do realize the mistakes I was making and I was glad I bailed before it got worse.

Thanks for the advice so far. I feel like it's time to reach out to that individual. He's an alumnus of the school I currently work for....so that is my angle of approach.

BretAndrew

Reaction score
But more and more I'm realizing you have to do this shyt yourself.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A friend of mine from college gave the LinkedIn thing a try for two years and all he got was one phone call from a random recruiter. He said that didn't lead to anything so he just shut his profile down.

BretAndrew

Reaction score
But more and more I'm realizing you have to do this shyt yourself.