Conan O'Brien without writers

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Has anyone been watching Conan without his writers? I've been watching every night since he's come back on and somehow he has managed to be even weirder without his writing staff. It's like there is no one there to hold him back and tell him something might be a little too out there for mainstream audiences.

Last night he rigged a rip cord at the top of his studio and hand glided down above the audience. On the stage, he had a guy dressed up like Abraham Lincoln and a guy dressed like John Wilkes Booth. He drop kicked John Wilkes Booth on his descent and saved Lincoln from assassination, then announced that Lincoln would get to serve another term.

Earlier this week he set up a maze on the part of the stage where guests enter and forced his guests to find their way through the maze before they sat down with him.

Last week he announced at the end of his monologue that he had become an overnight musical sensation in Japan and to appease his new fans he joined his band on stage and played a rockabilly song. They transcribed the words in Japanese on the bottom of the screen and showed clips of Asian people dancing.

I could go on and on about weird sh!t I have seen on that show in the past couple of weeks. Somehow I have a feeling Conan Unscripted is going to become legendary on the Internet after the writers return from their strike.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally, I like those shows without writers. It is much funnier in my opinion.

Try watching jon stewart and Colbert.

comic_relief

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Conan's been my fav for 10 years. Too bad he's on so late.

But remember, he himself used to write for comedy shows.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you remember that assistant producer of his that he interviewed couple days after he came back on air? I'm not sure if the producer was acting or he was just a weird mindless drone like that.

Anyway, Conan is brilliant. He can practically get away with anything. He did some writing for The Simpsons, I believe. Or was it SNL? Anyway, like Mr. T said on the 10th anniversary, "You've only been funny for the past seven years, fool."

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colbert has been pretty funny, he just makes fun of the fact that he has no writers and his show will suck all day.

Sun Tzu

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Bat said:
Anyway, Conan is brilliant. He can practically get away with anything. He did some writing for The Simpsons, I believe. Or was it SNL?
He worked on both shows. SNL in the late 80's and The Simpsons in the early 90's.

The Kidd

Don Juan
Reaction score
i used to love him but u soon realise his humour is very one-dimensional

can't believe this guy is taking over the more mature jay leno

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
conan's hilarious. leno can be funny but his funny moments are not as frequent as conan's. but everyone has a different sense of humor. lately though conan's had an especially high number of actual laugh out loud moments for me. and colbert's alright without writers, but i think he's a lot better when he has em. it's all about presentation and he's just a funny guy.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I liked Conan a bit more when I was younger but now it seems like he does the same jokes over and over, weird awkward stuff physically or self-depreciating humour about how he is pale, irish, out of shape, etc.

I will miss Leno when he retires, but the way the late nite hosts are, Conan seems like the only plausible option left.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Kidd said:
i used to love him but u soon realise his humour is very one-dimensional

can't believe this guy is taking over the more mature jay leno
wait what? Is leno retiring?

comic_relief

The Kidd

Don Juan
Reaction score
comic_relief said:
wait what? Is leno retiring?

comic_relief
yea don't worry it doesn't happen 'til 2009... which is next year.. damn... it seemed so far away 2 years ago

sucks though, conan's type of humour is so different from jay's, it'll be tough for the audience to make the switch because i think conan definitely attracts a younger audience