Completely Broke

ghp

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had my share of up and downs this last years, but everything went smooth, made good money had my own house, car, motorcycle, etc... Im 32.

Anyway this last year, i decided to enroll on University studying computer science which is a old passion of mine.

Stopped working, rented my place, and moved temporarily to my dad´s house, and living the life of a broke student, and still have two years ahead of sacrifice.

At this point of my life i know i should have all my career path all sorted out, and been well off.

I´ve not been having any problem with dates or pull young tail from the univ.

But this **** is killing me inside.

Anyone been trough this ?

ghp

Don Juan
Reaction score
noobolgy said:
stop crying. find a straw and suck it the fvck up.
Your probably right, gotta man up, and fight through it

Zunder

Banned
Reaction score
ghp said:
I had my share of up and downs this last years, but everything went smooth, made good money had my own house, car, motorcycle, etc... Im 32.

Anyway this last year, i decided to enroll on University studying computer science which is a old passion of mine.

Stopped working, rented my place, and moved temporarily to my dad´s house, and living the life of a broke student, and still have two years ahead of sacrifice.

At this point of my life i know i should have all my career path all sorted out, and been well off.

Yes.

And listen to me - you don't want to have all your career path sorted out. Not at 32, not ever really. Don't buy into that cheesey American shyt about career paths and your "place in life". It's all crap mate. How fuking boring it is that peopele plan all this shyt. You know what one day you will be dead and no one will give a shyt - so just enjoy life, its too short to have it all planned out, **** happens, have a passion for one, two or more things, but only things that you really dig doing. By the way, what you did doing now may be entirely undiggable for you in 10 years, ask any chump tied to the corporate job that comes home to a wife with a short mommy haircut, stretchmarks, and three little ankle biters running around making your life a misery.

compleks

Don Juan
Reaction score
Most people wouldn't have the balls to follow their passion, especially if it involved sacrifice.
Think of all the poor sods working 9-5 jobs that they hate.

Good for you I say.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everyone's given you some great tips, so I'll just add this. You're not as broke as you think. Take a look around you. Look at what assets you have in your dad's place. Do you have a fridge with food? A TV? Internet access? Clothes? I know you are paying for an education. You're not as broke as you think; you're just choosing to spend your money on something else right now. If you have parents to fall back on and all of these assets at your disposal, you're luck, and as others said you'll be drawing a good salary soon enough.

And yeah I'm 38 and "sorting out" my career path. Welcome to the club!

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Choosing to be broke now for a shot at something better later is way different than not choosing to be broke and striving to stay afloat with limited options. You chose this with a purpose so ....there ya go.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ghp said:
Completely Broke...I´ve not been having any problem with dates or pull young tail from the univ.
shhhh. There's countless guys on here who insist that it takes money to get laid. You're destroying their worldview.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Zunder said:
By the way, what you did doing now may be entirely undiggable for you in 10 years, ask any chump tied to the corporate job that comes home to a wife with a short mommy haircut, stretchmarks, and three little ankle biters running around making your life a misery.
Yep, forget all that hype about having your career path mapped out. There is no such thing as stability, for one; and two, you could get into your "dream field" and totally hate it after a few years. I'm of the belief that ANYTHING you do to make someone else money is only going to provide you with incomplete satisfaction. You can make $200k a year working 35 hours a week----but at the end of the day you are still following someone else's rules making someone else more money than you. And you are replaceable. That's capitalism.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
Yep, forget all that hype about having your career path mapped out. There is no such thing as stability, for one; and two, you could get into your "dream field" and totally hate it after a few years.
I think it's admirable that the OP is working toward something, and taking the opportunity to better himself. As opposed to kicking around taking whatever comes along and never gettng anywhere. Far better to have a plan and a goal. He should be encouraged, IMO.

Honestly, at this point I am tired of what I am doing career-wise, but that's okay because I won't be doing it much longer. And I can't really think of anything realistic that I would prefer to be doing. And I'm especially grateful that I haven't been forced to reinvent myself at my age, like a lot of people have had to do.

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At age 17, I was studying to become an Agricultural Engineer.
At age 19, I had to move back home and switch to IT.
At age 24, I was working in IT and hated it.
At age 29, I decided I wanted to do accounting.
At age 33, I am working in Accounting and hope to one day become the CFO of a company.
At age 40, I might be doing something completely different.

It doesn't matter, because all that matters is at every point of my life, I have been working towards something and that keeps me going. Never did I worry about being broke or how that would affect my chances with women. I kept my eye on my own prize and let everything else fall into place.

It happens, it happens a lot more than you think. Just keep working.

ghp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the support guys, i feel im doing the right thing and have to look to the big picture.

apprenticedj

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm really loving this thread because it's something I'm struggling with as well.

I feel that I'm nearing a fork in the road. One path would be to continue in the field I'm currently working in where I could easily make six figures but I don't like what I'm doing. I hate customers and I lack the motivation needed to do really well in the industry. The other path would be against the grain of the ideal of having my life "mapped out", much scarier and less understood by the drones here in America (and many other countries). I would be going back to school and living a different lifestyle.

I'll be 29 in a month and the biggest thing I fear is not taking the wheel when it comes to my life. That I'll find myself 40-something working in a field I don't like simply because the paycheck is great. I'm optimistic though because I know I can do WHATEVER I WANT, the beauty of being an unattached man. :up:

KalKal

Reaction score
I have been there OP. I had to join the reserve military to make ends meet. If I found $1.30 under the sofa for a cup of coffee(circa 1997), I felt lucky that day. Friday night was spent in the campus library studying the advance mathematics courses required for the major. Most of the time, I was in the basement of the business administration building compiling computer programs using Unix based compilers and the vi editor.

It was all worth it though. From 2007-2010, I gross approx. 130K per year working as an overseas contractor. I did not squander it like my co-workers. I save up that money because I strongly believe that money will afford me, freedom. I am free to quit my job if I don't like it. I am free to jump on a plane and head out to SE Asia any time. If my luxury car needs major repair, I'm not going to be worried. Also like you, I owned a motorcycle as a secondary vehicle.

My aunt(on father side)->husband->younger brother came to the U.S. from Vietnam when he was in his late-30s. He now has a Masters degree in Computer Science and is teaching part time at a community college. His daytime gig is at Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command as a computer scientist.

You are on the correct path. What most young men don't know is that as men, we are judged/gauged by our profession. You go to any arbitrary social gathering and people will ask you about your profession.

I always tell myself when the going gets rough; "You rest when you die, keep inching forward."

zinc4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 32, broke and living on the other aside of the word after having 10 grand saved up in the states and a brand new Lexus.....but who cares man...i would rather take a risk and do what i really love than play it safe and have lot's of money....you will live...i have never understood why some people use money to define themselves.....life is about experiences...all the money in the world won't matter one bit when you are lying on your death bed which is coming for all of us much sooner than you think...life goes by quickly....do what you are passionate about and don't have any regrets...otherwise you are living in fear.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ghp said:

Your mistake is in bold

seasonedplayer

Don Juan
Reaction score
You shouldn't have voted for obama

ghp said:

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From '08. "Current events" are different now, point is the same

I'm 33 years old and homeless!
...with two, soon to be three jobs.

But, I have one plate that is begging me to stay with her. Yet, I'm staying with another, rent free. The plate I'm staying with frequently tells me: "I don't want you to feel obligated because I'm letting you stay here, you're free to go at anytime."

Furthermore, the chick I am staying with KNOWS about the other chick, and has encouraged me to stay with her if I want.

When I've explained my situation to these women, it has been said to me, that, exactly what these guys are saying is true. I have been told flat-out that since I display ambition, confidence, goals, etc., these women are attracted to those qualities and have no doubt in their mind that I'm "FAR better than a lot of the losers" they've been with. What's more, they've even went so far as to point out that my humility is also attractive: is shows I'm not faking confidence.

When several women tell you that certain qualities are more attractive than a situation, I wouldn't doubt THEIR word. I mean, guys can say "this and that is attractive to women", but when women reinforce that same thing?

In my case, when I tell a woman "I'm homeless", their initial reaction is "OMG, you're crazy!" and are repulsed. But, after I explain WHY I'm homeless they very quickly do a 180º. During the explanation, I speak with conviction and confidence: I'm doing this intentionally to achieve a goal.

My situation is much like Thoureau deliberately moving to the woods. It's not to be pitied.

Now, I do "have money", but, I squirrel it away into the bank such that I am broke. Yet, these plates pay for dates, buy me gifts, and otherwise shower me with affection.

So, what's the difference between your situation and mine? Nothing, really, except for the mindset. I don't give two sh¡ts what a woman thinks if she doesn't understand that I'm doing this for me and my future. And, if and when a woman wants look at my situation as a disqualification, then she wasn't a woman I'd want to be with anyway.

And, that's how you should play it: if my situation is a critical factor, then you are the one disqualified.

There is a thing I call "rocking it". It is where you take something ridiculous and pull it off. For example, the Pinto I had in high school. That car was awesome! I waxed it, put 2 12" Cerwin Vegas in the trunk, and I was downright anal about the maintenance. I drove that ƒucker around with pride. Of course, I would draw criticism, but I would simply respond: "I love my car. The next time you ask me for a ride, you'll suddenly wish you had one too." You have to "rock" whatever situation you are in.

Friends come and go, jobs come and go, money, women, homes... they all come and go. The only thing you have in life to depend on is yourself. If you are unhappy with yourself, you will be unhappy with life.

Once you are comfortable and happy with yourself, then everything else falls into place. You aren't REALLY unhappy with your financial situation, you're unhappy with the perceptions of others. Are you going to be broke forever? No? Then, what are you worried about? You can still be proud of yourself because you know that you are making positive changes.

Hell, tell women straight-up: I'm broke at the moment, let's do something cheap. When they fuss, point out how ridiculous it is: I don't even know you, and, I'd regret spending ANY money on someone who I felt didn't deserve it.

Then shut up and look them in the eye.

I've done it with several hundred dollars in my wallet. :whistle:

Good luck, bro.