Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

college student needs help(passion or face reality?)

happy gilmore

Don Juan
Reaction score
2nd year college student here, transfering to a 4years soon. I hear a lot about people graduating with useless degrees and not getting hire afterward. I also hear that you should follow your passion and study things that you truely enjoy.

Ok, so the question is should I major in the fields that I enjoy the most(film, music, etc.) or should I face reality and major in something like econ, accounting, business?

Help me pick a side here please. I can only go one way. The subjectsI like I can do double major, but the subjects I don't like, I can only do one because its not going to be enjoyable at all and I can't do other things if I want to pass those classes.

Should I really just grind a couple of years and get a degree in something useful or follow my passion and risk not getting hire in this harsh, materialistic world?

alphawolfx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's your choice.

One is (almost) guaranteed security, but with mediocre happiness.

One is risky, but with a chance for great happiness, or wasted time and a setback in life.

Pick whichever one you want.

alphawolfx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
And who says those are your only choices?

F.uck, there is probably a stable major that you would enjoy. Stop complaining, use your time to look for that major.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by alphawolfx
And who says those are your only choices?

F.uck, there is probably a stable major that you would enjoy. Stop complaining, use your time to look for that major.
Sorry, but that's idealistic BS that doesn't apply to everyone. I'm sure most people can find something that is stable and won't make them miserable, but not everyone can find a major/career/job that they really enjoy and provides a lot of financialy security.

In short, you're going to be miserable for the rest of your life. Might as well die now!

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you got with econ just make sure that you graduate at the top of your class, since there are A LOT of people doing econ these days. if you do film/music or other crap like that you'll probably end up flipping burgers for a while.

I-am-someone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll never graduate top of your class in economics or stuff like that, if it's not your passion.
You can become the best in your passion.

Follow your strengths, and you will find your answer.

cant think of a user name

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it an option for you to perhaps transfer to a double degree course where you can do half of what you like (film, music, etc) and half of what you might need (economics, accounting, management) ?

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is there a chance for graduate school? If so, maybe get an UG degree in what you like and a masters in something else.

It takes a lot of experimentation as well. If you take one class about a subject, a bad teacher can turn you off forever. Also, there are fields which you might not be able to judge until you've gotten your feet wet a bit.

Right now I'm planning on doing CS and business. Computer science is something I am not passionate about, but I don't mind doing the work in the slightest, so that is my fall back at the very least. Right now I've only taken economics and management for business so far, so I couldn't really say whether I'd enjoy a career in it. In addition, there are tons of options for business majors. I would like to own and manage a business, but that's almost something where you have to experience it to know whether you like it or not.

The idea is, take some risks, but make sure you aren't going to waste your college career. If you really know what you're passionate about, go for it. It might be hard to be successful, but you will always have the persistence to keep you going and that is the important thing.

Ricky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do what I did, do the practical side (engineering) and make music your hobby.

You can do both.

If people quit watching so much TV they would be amazed what they can accomplish.

McKindley

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was studying jazz music I spent the day with a real serious jazz drummer here in town. He majored in Jazz and now he's constantly touring the world.

He told me "if you have something to fall back on, 9 times out of 10 you will."

Worth a little thought.

EverywhereMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
McKindley, that's quite interesting: I remember vividly one of the pieces of advice given in "Think And Grow Rich". He said "BURN YOUR BRIDGES" if you want to accomplish your dreams.

He told a story of how this army went by boat to conquer a foreign one (in ancient times), which vastly outnumbered their army. Once they arrived, the field commander ordered all the boats to be burned. He then said to the troops, "you see now, there is no way back: we either win, or we all die". And they won.

As for the original thread...

I have definitely experienced this dilema (and still do). I'm in my 3rd year in Computer Science-- I'm taking my final exams next term. This is most definitely not my passion, and it's hard, so hard.

I discovered that I wasn't devoted to this subject after the first year, but decided to carry on. I know a lot of friends who have quit to change subject many times, and are older than me, but have not even completed a year of University.

Whereas I am 20, and will soon have a great degree that is sure to be a big asset. I want to do very well, because I always do; so I will work hard.

My other BIG passion is music, but I have put it on the backburner for the coming months.

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A great writer makes more money than an average economist.

Think about it.

AverageFC

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Go with what you enjoy. Seriously.

I was an econ/business major last year. While hypothetically, I couldve continued with it, I hated it and changed to an English major, focusing on journalism. I am now the envy of all my business major friends.

Basketba1100

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going through the same thing you going through. I can just tell you take it day by day, and God will work something out for you if you just keep working hard. Don't go through life worrying about things, enjoy your life and follow your heart.