Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

college fashion

kc07

Reaction score
Hi.

I will be a sophomore at a somewhat preppy liberal arts college in the fall. What are some ways to look good? I know the basic rules such as wearing clothes that fit, colors should compliment your face, how stripes work, etc.

However, I am just not sure what actual styles and brands look good, and at the same time do not cost a great deal of money. I think it's ridiculous to pay $80 for a shirt, or $100 for jeans when I will be wearing these clothes all around campus in all types of weather.

What magazines or guides to style might be able to help out a college DJ that doesn't want to spend insane amounts of money just for a name?

thanks,
--e

ZW52

Don Juan
Reaction score
Read the following fashion magazines: Details, GQ, Esquire, Maxim, Loaded, Loaded Fashion, Cargo. Find looks in those magazines that you like then go to the mall and duplicate them for much less money. You can never go wrong with a good fashion magazine as your guide.

bootlegger

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
sounds like good solid advice.

I think Old Navy has really good blue jeans for the money. Hell they are made in the same sweat-shop as Banana Republic.

The one thing you need to focus on is not the brands. But the colors, and the cut.

If the shirt is not cut right for you, and blouses out, or makes you look fat, or whatever. Either have it tailored or don't buy it.

take a good look at yourself, and find out what's good and what's bad. Accentuate the positive.
For instance: If you have a big nose, then don't part your hair in the middle.

If you don't have much of a jaw-line (like myself) then keep a 5-oclock shadow.
---

This is my topic, so feel free to ask away.

JT47319

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, follow these guys' advice... IF YOU WANT TO FIT AND BLEND IN that is...

bootlegger

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by JT47319

Not sure how to take that comment.

I simply suggested he wear the right cut and colors.

I didn't tell him to buy a trucker hat.

ultimatley his style will reflect his personality.

But I don't think it looks 'cool' to wear a pair of shorts that are so baggy they are touching your shoes. and all of that other garbage people are wearing.

KiInCollege

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
USA, Graduated Already - old screen name!
Heh, I'll chime in and clear things. You want to fit in and conform to what most are wearing, but you also want to stand out in some way...some positive way.

You need to understand how people currently dress there and what the norm is first. Only then can you later wear those types of clothes, but add your own unique style.

kc07

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll probably buy a few of those magazines, and then go from there. When you talk about colors and cut for clothes, are there any good online sources/articles. I know men's health had a good section on fashion a few issues back dealing with general issues (but it seemed to focus more on suits and ties).

thanks
-e

ZW52

Don Juan
Reaction score
Um, no. If you follow the advice in those magazines you will not fit in. The magazines I speak of have pictures of higher fashion than one will find at the mall. But most people cannot shell out $500 dollars for Dolce & Gabbana jeans. At the mall you can find some closely resembling D&G for much less money. If you go to college you will see alot of guys walking around in trucker hats and wearing shirts that look like they came from a thrift store for 25 cents. But you know the guy went to Abercrombie and paid $30 for it. Yeah, they really stand out, they don't even have a clue about fashion. I'm not just pulling this crap out of thin air. I know a thing or two about fashion and how to stand out since I'm a fvcking Fashion Design major. If you use fashion mags as your guide you will stand out and women will notice.

Tai

Don Juan
Reaction score
Since the hiphop culture is such a big thing now, your best bet to look cool is dressing hiphop. If you are a white guy, you dont wanna be dressing like a thug, you want to look hiphop but also sophisticated. For example, somtimes i would wear a light faded blue jeans that are not too baggy or tight, it fit just right then a plain white shoes (AF1) a well fitted button up shirt that matches my light blue jeans. The next day i would wear something totally diffrent, i would be wearing green top and green shoes. Its all about matching colors and find clothes that fit you. You dont even have to buy brand name clothes, i rather buy cheap brand but buy alot of em and match :D its stupid buy a 150 dollar blue shoes then have no money left for shirts. If you buy a 50 dollar blue shoes and a nice 50 dollar blue shirt to match it looks alot better.

bootlegger

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Tai
Since the hiphop culture is such a big thing now, your best bet to look cool is dressing hiphop. If you are a white guy, you dont wanna be dressing like a thug, you want to look hiphop but also sophisticated. For example, somtimes i would wear a light faded blue jeans that are not too baggy or tight, it fit just right then a plain white shoes (AF1) a well fitted button up shirt that matches my light blue jeans. The next day i would wear something totally diffrent, i would be wearing green top and green shoes. Its all about matching colors and find clothes that fit you. You dont even have to buy brand name clothes, i rather buy cheap brand but buy alot of em and match :D its stupid buy a 150 dollar blue shoes then have no money left for shirts. If you buy a 50 dollar blue shoes and a nice 50 dollar blue shirt to match it looks alot better.

I'm not too sure it's a good idea to tell this guy to copy a hip-hop style.

The clothes he wears should reflect who he is. If he is a white, genius, who is very articulate, then he probably doesn't want to wear sports jerseys all the time.

DiSt0rTi0n_07

Don Juan
Reaction score
Trends are different in different places. I know that, you know that (now). So yeah its good to follow these suggestions but if you are a little concerned with what colours or styles you want to wear then take this piece of advice:

Go shopping with a chick friend! Seriously, they like major in shopping and they should be fully capable of telling you what suites you best. Who's better qualified to make that decision than a chick eh?
:D

4afe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by kc07
Hi.

I will be a sophomore at a somewhat preppy liberal arts college in the fall. What are some ways to look good? I know the basic rules such as wearing clothes that fit, colors should compliment your face, how stripes work, etc.

However, I am just not sure what actual styles and brands look good, and at the same time do not cost a great deal of money. I think it's ridiculous to pay $80 for a shirt, or $100 for jeans when I will be wearing these clothes all around campus in all types of weather.

What magazines or guides to style might be able to help out a college DJ that doesn't want to spend insane amounts of money just for a name?

thanks,
--e

Its good to look like every one else, that way no one can pick you out of a crowd. One thing I hate is when people look different and the women are more open to talk to them because they are being themselfs.

Don't get me wrong it is important to look good but never fallow trends. I have to wear a suite to school (I goto work right after school). Really it doesnt matter what you wear, as long as you look good and dont smell bad.

Tai

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea you guys are right about not copying trends but be a trend setter... i think it doent matter what your style is. The important thing is to match. When was the last time you seen a guy wear anything that matches? if you do wear nice clothes and clean you'll be above most guys but if you match, you'll be way ahead of the dressing game. If you decided to go wild with matching colors and crazy clothes, you better have a wild and crazy attitude to back it up. People said clothes reflect you're personallity, true but it doent mean that if you are a depress person, you would wear dark clothes most of the time. Sometimes clothes can change how you feel, if you wear something diffrent and cool, thats what you would feel and you send out an aura then the clothes will be part of you, dont be afraid to try on new stuff.