Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Closing checking accounts, is it instant?

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, I had this Wamu checking account, and I decided to transfer money out of it into another account and close it..

I did this over the phone, and guy told me it would take 3 to 4 business days to close this account, because they can not close it over the phone, he had to forward form to backoffice..

My question is, and this is urgent. Does it take that long to close an account or should it be instant?

I wonder if I go there tomorrow will they close it instantely?

My concern is if it gets charged during this 3 to 4 business days, I could be in negative and have to pay a fee?

I had eBay suspend my account and it looks greem for now, so if they don't want me, I don't want them, screw eBay..

By the way, opening new account was extra easy, online.. Like 2 minutes. Also opened a savings account.. Super easy!

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
worked at a bank. If you go there, and there's no pending transactions during the day your trying to close it, it will take 1 business day to close.

So if you went to go close it Wednesday, it would be official on Thursday

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, I went to a brach and finally closed my account..

Now, I did open a new account yesterday, a checking and savings.. I called bank to transfer money from this new checking to savings, and they told me can't do it at the moment, because checking account is on hold..

Apperantely because it is new and hold will be lifted in a couple of days..

My question is, does this sound right?

Reaction score
yeah, that's entirely possible. the bank's not going to LIE to you about something like this.

every bank operates differently. I work part-time at a bank and you can do transfers from an account the day it's opened. however, if you make a transfer or deposit into any account, it won't show up until the next business day. at WaMu, deposits and transfers show up instantly. anyway, like I said. if they say that they can't do the transfer because the checking account is on "hold" or whatever they call it, it's quite possibly the case. try do go around it. maybe do a withdrawal, then turn right back around and deposit it into the savings. maybe write a check off of the checking and deposit it into the savings.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Booblepook said:
Alright, I went to a brach and finally closed my account..

Now, I did open a new account yesterday, a checking and savings.. I called bank to transfer money from this new checking to savings, and they told me can't do it at the moment, because checking account is on hold..

Apperantely because it is new and hold will be lifted in a couple of days..

My question is, does this sound right?
Yep. 7 day hold is usually placed. They're just protecting against fraud.

Booblepook

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ahh, well then I have to wait 7 days to transfer money to my savings account.

Now, I have this check for 32 bucks from two years ago from my ex employer.. I got pissed off since they charged me 300 or so bucks for a dropped printer, 32 is all I got.. I never deposited it, but still have the check.. If I deposit it now, will it go through?