Clarifying C+F and Neg Hits

Dirtheart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’ve decided to post this thread after seeing so many questions on the subject lately and cringing at some of the examples being given on this board. It looks like a lot of people are placing way too much focus on C+F and Neg Hits and are surely hindering their game as a result. Feel free to agree or disagree, but I’m simply speaking from my own experience and understanding, and my knowledge of NLP and general social skills.

First of all, C+F is not a magic formula to make a disinterested woman fall in love with you. No woman is going to pounce on you just because you come up with a clever oneliner. C+F is merely a way of showing that you’re comfortable with yourself and comfortable in the presence of a woman. It’s like an antidote to the humble wussy approach, where guys kiss upto a woman and show her that they’re unworthy. But it should always be used in MODERATION and in the right situation, not as a foundation for speaking to women.

Always keep in mind that rapport is the single most important factor in any social encounter and it can only be built if two or more people are communicating on the same level. If a girl is trying to be serious and you are trying to be funny, or if she’s being polite and you are neg hitting her, you are failing to build rapport! In fact, it can be downright rude if someone tries to break the ice with a polite question and you throw a flippant answer back at her. It sends the message that you’re not taking her or her attempt at conversation seriously.

Other problems you might run into using C+F introductions is that she's going to think you are trying too hard to be funny, which reeks of insecurity. Worse still, she might see it as an act and think you are being evasive, which is sure to set alarm bells ringing in her head (“What’s he hiding?”, “Why won’t he answer a simple question?”). So if she asks a polite or serious question, give her a polite or serious answer.

Conversely, if her introduction is lighthearted and humorous, then roll with it. Always pay attention to her mood and tone and try to match it.

Examples of C+F I've used

One of my friends noticed a ring I was wearing and she grabbed my hand to look at it. I told her “Admit it, you just want to hold my hand. You’ll be asking me to take my shirt off next so you can read the label”.

Another time a friend asked me why I’d spent my dinner break with some other friends instead of her. I said something like “I can’t help it if everyone wants me”. She replied “You wish!” and playfully hit me. I pointed it out and said “Look, we’ve been speaking for less than a minute and you can’t keep your hands off me!”

Then one girl tried to neg hit me by telling my shirt looks like curtain material. I replied, “That’s because you keep picturing my clothes scattered around your bedroom”. She responded with a smile, touched my arm and said “Ok, you sussed me out”.

I find this sort of style works well because it’s impromptu and natural, reacting to the situation rather than sounding like a contrived oneliner.

As for Neg Hits, they’re just a way of showing that you’re not intimidated or humbled by a woman. They are NOT insults!! They should NEVER be personal or be directed at someone’s flaws. They should always be lighthearted, generic and used in a playful and teasing manner.

Again, timing is essential! If you start teasing a woman while she’s preoccupied or not in the mood, don’t expect her to be receptive. And don’t try to neg hit a b*tch. Women don’t often act b*tchy with guys they like; they use it to filter out the one’s they’re not interested in, so if that’s the vibe you are getting from her take the hint and save your dignity. You certainly won’t win her interest by insulting her clothes or pointing out she’s a little flabby, and getting into an exchange of insults is petty and degrading.

Good neg hits can refer to minor mistakes, misunderstandings or personality quirks. Sitcoms such as Friends are a very good example of neg hits. The characters are constantly digging at each other in a playful manner, but it’s rarely anything personal.

Examples of Neg Hits I've used

I was playing pool with a girl I know. She was dreadful and couldn’t even hold the cue properly, so I said “I’m not sure if I told you, but we’re supposed to be playing pool, not baseball!”

I was on a date with a girl and the bartender refused to serve her because she didn’t look old enough. So we decided to go to another bar. Just before we entered, I stopped and said “Oh wait. I don’t think they allow minors in here, but there’s a McDonalds around the corner and they’re giving away Little Mermaid toys with their kids meals!”

Another time the same girl spilt her drink so when I bought the next one I asked the bartender for a straw. I brought the drink back to her and she just started laughing. She said “What are you trying to tell me?” I said, “They had no bibs”.

On the whole, I think the c+f concept has been blown way out of proportion. It’s far better to be natural with your conversations and forget trying to impress a woman or make her laugh. Read her mood and concentrate on building rapport first and foremost, and reserve c+f and neg hits for when it’s appropriate.

I have had neg hits backfire a few times and upset a few women with them, so I’d advise treating them with a lot of caution or even avoiding them altogether. And when using C+F don’t forget the F. Being ****y and not funny won’t win you many friends.

Hollowpoint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Excellent post.

Edit: To expand on that, I find building rapport, getting to know her, eliciting values also leads to C+F oppurtunities showing you have both a serious mature side and an easy going side that is fun to be with.

S0LID

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
top post :)

off topic, where in the UK you from?

Diaoz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good Summary on the powerful yet misused C&F and neghit mate.

You seemed like you know your stuffs so I'd really like your help on this.

You see, I'm recovering from a life-rut of 3years. I did absolutely nothing for 3years. No school, no work. Hence my social interaction and all is greatly reduced and of course, social inadequateness ensues.

So I found this site and am also attended a NLP crash course. Of course everything is really intriguing, examples given blah blah.

But the problem being, whenever I am out with the chance to talk to someone, I can barely come up with funny things to so! I wasn't this way before I slummed into this rut, back in the days I was a fair natural but now, it's a total mess. It's like brain-freeze.

So, any suggestions as to how I can regain the ability to come up with C&F, Neg-hit or in fact just any kind of proper social communication instead of just "yeah", "oh nice" blah blah.

Do I just keep thinking about what to say, even though the situation is long gone? Just to practice and exercise my mind so when the next opportunity comes, I'll be more likely to be able to come up with something? That's what I'm doing now and also observing examples given in this forum. However the problem still stands.

I would like to be my old self, funny, alert etc. Would books help? I understand David D. highly recommends Comedy Writing Secrets.

Thanks and much appreciated!

Blackgame

Don Juan
Reaction score
frist CF is a attatude isn't not a line or a story.The reason people
mis use CF is because they are not conjerent with it you can't be ****y and funny if your serious and shy, now do get me wrong
i am not saying you can't become CF, but what i am saying is
that you don't have to

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Diaoz: I notice that I'm at my most witty when I'm most comfortable. It may be that you are trying too hard to be funny and that's adding pressure to you. Try to be lighthearted rather than funny and the rest will come naturally over time.

A lot of the time people will hold back in conversations because they think too much about what to say, like they must contribute something significant.

I'm rarely witty or funny during new social encounters. I just ask generic questions (what do you do? what do you think of it here? etc) and progress from there.

C+F and neg hits are good, but you have to feel comfortable using it and know that the other person feels comfortable with it too.

Engetsu

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Golden post!

I made the mistake today of going too far with a neg-hit, and I dug up this post. The bit where you say...

I have had neg hits backfire a few times and upset a few women with them, so I’d advise treating them with a lot of caution or even avoiding them altogether. And when using C+F don’t forget the F. Being ****y and not funny won’t win you many friends.
is a great summary of the whole post, and is exactly the philosophy everyone should apply.

TizZle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think neg hits are based on the snob type of girl. If you are good looking you probably won't need neg hits just be playful and funny. Average of less than average you will need the ****y and funny approach.

Sanctity

Don Juan
Reaction score
GREAT POST!

I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with my game and I think this post is exactly what I needed.

I am, by nature, an EXTREMELY sarcastic person so the c+f and neg hits come really easily for me.

However, it can be a major turnoff, as I have personally discovered, when I take it too far.

That part about building rapport is gold. Thanks a lot!

skinnydart

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another time the same girl spilt her drink so when I bought the next one I asked the bartender for a straw. I brought the drink back to her and she just started laughing. She said “What are you trying to tell me?” I said, “They had no bibs”.
rofl, awesome! :D

DJHoolahoop

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sanctity

I am, by nature, an EXTREMELY sarcastic person so the c+f and neg hits come really easily for me.

However, it can be a major turnoff, as I have personally discovered, when I take it too far.
Yeah man, people who are sarcastic generally can get C&F going pretty naturally. I know my old ways of sarcasm were REALLY attacking and people would get offended by it.

I never do a neg-hit, UNLESS i know they are cool about it. I try not to find shy, insecure ones and BLATANTLY point out a flaw or fault.

However, if the timing is right and it's pretty obvious, i'll find something to joke on them about. Like if they're having a good time and are having a really hard time getting a particular word or sentence out, i poke fun at them so they can take a second to laugh about it and get rid of the mental block they were putting up for themselves. Then they're back on track and enjoying themselves, I generally refrain from being outright RUDE about it though.

white cloud 8

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post 'dirtheart', do you know any other great lines to use in everyday situations at school (university) per se? Let's say if a girl looks at me and smiles and I smile back, walk over to her and say 'I couldn't help but notice you looking at me' and say something like 'I guess you just have that affect on me or you're just plain creepy' and smile or smirk. I would say this to a girl whom I already know (in my classes). What are some other great lines that I can use? Or are there sites that have good C+F lines and neg hits?

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just remembered this post and thought I'd give it a bump for those who are new to C+F and neghits.

I haven't totally ditched C+F and neghits these days, but I have dropped using canned material and oneliners. It's now just an integrated style of my natural humour and wit, which I improvise on the spot and play off other people.

The Nice Guy is Gone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, this needs a bump.