Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Chest workout

Fluffy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Im looking for a new chest workout. For my chest I do:

3x8 bench press
3x8 incline bench

which is on the same day as my back.

Is this enough for my chest, should I move to DB instead of barbell? and should I change my rep scheme? Im a beginner so I dont have everything totally worked out. I also have a spotter if that makes a difference.

cheers,

Fluffy

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do like how abbreviated your chest workout is...I use a similar kind of routine, except do incline press w/ dumbells because I have shoulder issues.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this to a beginner, but I like to use lighter weights for incline press and twist the dumbells so that my palms face each other at the midline of my body. I do this at the top of the motion to really feel the contraction in my chest. It does take some control and I usually close my eyes to concentrate and feel for the contraction. Damn, sounds like I'm talkin about being in labour!

I also superset anterior raises with incline presses sometimes. This can be brutally intense if execute properly.

Another option you have is the pec dec or incline fly. Some people love cable work for chest as well.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're looking for strength gains make one of your bench presses heavier (like 5 reps), i.e. like

Incline barbell bench 3x5
Flat dumbbell bench 3x8

or you could use barbells for both presses.

The point is, there's LOTS of approaches, what're your goals exactly?

shaun

Fluffy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Another option you have is the pec dec or incline fly. Some people love cable work for chest as well.
Ive tried throwing in a cable fly, but I feel spent after just the two exercises I can barely do any weight, it seems like it may be pointless?

shaunuk said:
If you're looking for strength gains make one of your bench presses heavier (like 5 reps), i.e. like

Incline barbell bench 3x5
Flat dumbbell bench 3x8

or you could use barbells for both presses.

The point is, there's LOTS of approaches, what're your goals exactly?
Im trying to build up my chest as it seems like its moving slower than back and shoulders. Strength is not my aim, but rather aesthetics. Im using a wider grip in both exercises.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what are your maxes or what weight are using for reps with Squats, Deads, Bench, how much do you weigh and what does your diet look like?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fluffy said:
Im trying to build up my chest as it seems like its moving slower than back and shoulders. Strength is not my aim, but rather aesthetics. Im using a wider grip in both exercises.
chest does move slower than back and legs. make sure you're pulling your shoulder blades back and stretching at the bottom of your chest presses (and not making it into a front delt/tricep press).

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think variety is important in any routine, so you can cut down on the volume in your other exercises and add the cable work once in a while if you feel like it. That way you can keep your body guessing.

I get alot of complements on my delts:
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/Treydesmon/DSC02440.jpg
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/Treydesmon/Picture015.jpg

I like to really recommend supersetting anterior/lateral dumbell raises following incline dumbell presses for chest/delts. If you have the mind muscle connection to really isolate your delts and are lean you can get really good striations and vascularity in your delts. I also think its a great combo to build good separation between your chest and your anterior deltoids.