Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cheapest Protein Source

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amazingly one of the cheapest protein source is.. peanut butter.
I buy a small tub (510g) for $1.30. Maybe if you buy a larger one you can get even lower in price. This small tub contains 7 g of protein per serving (32g).

(510g/32g)*7g=111.6g of protein in a tub.

One gram of protein costs: $1.30/111.6=$0.01165

FYI: Protein in protein powder costs from $0.014 to $0.02 per
1 gram of protein.

But oh well, you can't consume lots of peanut butter :(

What do to? Switch to eggs:

I buy a dozen of large eggs for $0.85.
1 egg has about 6.5 gram of protein.
$0.85/(12*6.5)=$0.0109 per 1 gram of protein.

You sure can consume a lot of eggs easily.
FYI: "12.5% of the weight of the egg is protein and it is found in both the yolk and the albumen. Although protein is more concentrated around the yolk, there is in fact more protein in the albumen. On the evaluation scale most commonly used for assessing protein, egg is at the highest point, 100, and is used as the reference standard against which all other foods are assessed." http://www.nutritionandeggs.co.uk/eggs_nutrition/nutrition1.html

Not bad. What are the disadvatanges?

"One large, whole egg contains about 213 mg of cholesterol. This is about 71 percent of the daily recommended limit for healthy people (less than 300 mg), and too much for those with certain risk factors. "

"Egg whites have no cholesterol".

"The fat of an egg is found almost entirely in the yolk; there is less than 0.05% in the albumen.
Approximately 11% of an egg’s fatty acids are polyunsaturated, 44% monounsaturated and only 29% saturated".
http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4547

Note, that the bad one is saturated fat.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

So you may want to eat only egg whites? The the equation is:
$0.85/(12*3.6g in egg white)=$0.0196 per 1 gram of protein, which is almost as much as protein powder cost.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Amazingly one of the cheapest protein source is.. peanut butter."

:up: Cheap, yes, yummy, definitely, healthy without a doubt - only problem is that it's not a complete protein and must be combined with other protein sources in the diet. I do eat a lot of peanut butter though, more so for the fat than the protein but as far as pro goes, every little helps!

"One large, whole egg contains about 213 mg of cholesterol. This is about 71 percent of the daily recommended limit for healthy people (less than 300 mg), and too much for those with certain risk factors."

:down: Ingesting dietary cholesterol has no negative impact on cholesterol levels - the body will produce less in fact because there's an external source. I eat anything between 6 and 12 eggs a day, as far as I know my cholesterol is fine.

Eggs and peanut butter ARE two of the cheapest, healthiest things you can include in your diet though.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing like some good peanut butter before a workout. I love eating it out of the can. Definately one of my favorite foods.

Griffith

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry for my noob question, but eating peanut butter straight is GOOD for you? If I casually heard that I'd think it'd make you fat fast.

Anyway - wanted to know what the explanation for it is, just curious:D

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Griffith
Sorry for my noob question, but eating peanut butter straight is GOOD for you? If I casually heard that I'd think it'd make you fat fast.

Anyway - wanted to know what the explanation for it is, just curious:D
Lets look at it:
Protein 13%

Total Fat 24%
unsaturated 29%
saturated 13%

Cholesterol 0%

Calories 190 in 32g.

So it looks pretty good in terms of cholesterol, ok in terms of fat, but not so good in terms of calories.
So of course if you want to cut your calories down, you should not eat a whole tub of peanut butter in one meal.

The_Lifter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuna is pretty inexpensive but it tastes like ass, it's God's way of punishing you for being so cheap.

ER!C L!VE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been known to drink a gallon of skim or 1% milk per day. It's about $2.50 USD per gallon. You get about 128-144g protein. I drink it throughout the day, not all at once.

When bulking (which I haven't done in a while), I'll drink a gallon of chocolate milk instead.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by al77
Lets look at it:
Protein 13%

Total Fat 24%
unsaturated 29%
saturated 13%

Cholesterol 0%

Calories 190 in 32g.

So it looks pretty good in terms of cholesterol, ok in terms of fat, but not so good in terms of calories.
So of course if you want to cut your calories down, you should not eat a whole tub of peanut butter in one meal.
I would usually eat a tablespoon before working out.

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ER!C L!VE
I've been known to drink a gallon of skim or 1% milk per day. It's about $2.50 USD per gallon. You get about 128-144g protein. I drink it throughout the day, not all at once.

When bulking (which I haven't done in a while), I'll drink a gallon of chocolate milk instead.
wow, I cannot even drink a gallon of water every day.
I have to mix it with juice, butter milk etc. What's your wieght??

There is also some controversy regarding milk for adults. For some it is ok, for some it is not. I personally make butter milk at home and drink a glass or two every other day. But there is not way I could drink a gallon of butter milk every day.

How can you do it?

I have no problem with chocolate, but every singly time I drink chocolate milk, my stomach goes crazy :(

ER!C L!VE

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by al77
What's your wieght??

There is also some controversy regarding milk for adults. For some it is ok, for some it is not.

I personally make butter milk at home and drink a glass or two every other day. But there is not way I could drink a gallon of butter milk every day.

How can you do it?

I have no problem with chocolate, but every singly time I drink chocolate milk, my stomach goes crazy :(
I weigh 180lbs, 5'8"

Milk & chocolate milk isn't for everyone. Many people have difficulty digesting it.. I've just never had a problem with it.

Buttermilk? I know many recipies call for it, but I've never drank it.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The_Lifter
Tuna is pretty inexpensive but it tastes like ass, it's God's way of punishing you for being so cheap.
I used to hate it but now don't think twice about just throwing it down my throat. Don't even notice its taste anymore.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The_Lifter
Ive gotten sick of the tuna so I dump a bunch of hot sauce in it to numb my taste buds. Im thnking of canned chicken as a replacement but I dont think its as good a substitute

The_Lifter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by mrRuckus
I used to hate it but now don't think twice about just throwing it down my throat. Don't even notice its taste anymore.
I don't know what it's like in the US, but in the UK it's like they add extra salt - and I'm not just talking about the brine. I've moved onto Yellowfin tuna whenever it's on discount - it's a little like cod - it doesn't really taste of anything in particular. I can throw down a can of that in around 3 minutes.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My lunch is probably the most balanced meal of my day. I drink water have 4.5 oz block of tofu with 3.5 oz salmon lox and low sodium tofu.

tofu is really the differance maker here. Since it's made of soymilk as opposed to regualar milk it's ultra healthy.
79 calories
9.5 grams protein
2 grams fat (.05 saturated)
3 Carbohydrates
1 gram dietary fiber
Caclium 4%
Iron 6%.

couple that with the salmon
calories 115
18 grams protein
3.5 grams fat (.5 saturated)
0 Carbohydrates
21 miligrams cholesterol

The only down side is the sodium intake coupled with the soy sauce. Even if it's low sodium the salt content of all three combined is around 600-700 grams YIKES!!! So you have to drink like a quart of water with this meal to keep too much of that salt from staying in your system. It's pretty costly too, it ends up being around 5 bucks per meal, I eat this 6 times a week so thats 30 bones right there. Ah well it taste decent and it's effective.