Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Car under $20,000

Crazy Asian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So for my graduation present, my parents are getting me a car.
My price limit is $20,000.
I don't know a lot about cars, so what are some suggestions on the car I should get?
I want something that looks sweet (inside and out), and has a sporty feel to it when i drive.
I'd prefer new since used cars are sorta unreliable.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Nissan Skyline
Subaru WRX STI
BWM Z3 Z4

My favorite is the MR2 Spyder with the VeilSide body kit, with a removable hard-top.

Don't be dumb and greedy. Buying a new car is stupid. Used... automatically unreliable?

I'm no car expert, but you want to buy a new car for a expensive price tag... just so you can drive it one mile and lose a part of the value... just because it's not considered "new" anymore?

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Michele said:
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Nissan Skyline
Subaru WRX STI
BWM Z3 Z4
He said under $20,000. Skyline way over $20k. STI and Z3/4 only if you get some old high mileage one.

To the OP, you're not gonna get any nice new car for under $20k unless you want a tC or Fit or some type of slow little car.

Get an RSX Type-S, you can find one with pretty low miles for about $15k. That kind of car is good for someone your age.

Juice09

Don Juan
Reaction score
A crazy Asian who knows nothing about cars? Smh, you should be ashamed.

A $20,000 spending limit on a car is ****ING AMAZING. You'd be crazy to buy a new car with such an opportunity facing you.

My car is an Acura RSX Type-S, I bought it used, 70,000 miles, for only 7,000 bucks. I've had it since last summer and it has not let me down once. It's an amazing car. 200 HP, so I can beat most people at school. I redline it daily and drive it to its limits, and it still hasn't let me down once.

So don't buy that BS that if you buy a used car it's going to be unreliable. If anything, buying a new car is going to be a mistake because you have to break in the engine. But god knows a teenage driver is going to be incapable of refraining from using all his horsepower.

You can get a used STi, Evo, Cobalt SS, the opportunities are endless. I searched briefly and found this:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=images/view&ad=1139178

Would you rather have a sexy ass used STi with 45,000 miles and 300 horsepower, or a new Toyota Yaris with 0 miles but 120 HP?

Jesus

Don Juan
Reaction score
I barely know jack about cars and even I know if you've got a spending limit you can get a much nicer car if you go used.

Juice09

Don Juan
Reaction score
Monster said:
Get an RSX Type-S, you can find one with pretty low miles for about $15k. That kind of car is good for someone your age.
Nah, I wouldn't get an RSX when you have $20,000 to burn.

At the very least, get one of those turboed Cobalt SS's. My friend owns one, and they're quick. 260 hp and an equal amount of torque.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You know, getting a Civic with a ginormous wing (300hp), flame stickers (150hp), and a gradient black to silver tint (800hp)... that would be the best investment.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
rice to the rescue! :D

Juice09

Don Juan
Reaction score
Michele said:
You know, getting a Civic with a ginormous wing (300hp), flame stickers (150hp), and a gradient black to silver tint (800hp)... that would be the best investment.
Don't forget the altezza tail lights.

Michele l'Arcangelo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Honestly, since you're not paying your bills, I'm sure...

Get a used Prius. When you move out of your parents house, you'll be glad they paid for that. 50MPG. Think about the day your parents cut off your allowance and make you pay for your own gas.

If you bought a brand-new 2009 Prius (which would probably be $30k), it would be a plug-in Hybrid... it would go 30+ miles before it starts using gas.

You can go to work and maybe get back before you use ANY gas! Think about the money you can save, and the road trips you can do!

Man... that would be a dream if I had one.

But still, the current Prius gets 45-50 MPG anyways, it's just not a plug-in.

Sure, nice flashy, fancy cars can make panties drop. But, it doesn't mean you know jack sh1t about your car, let alone know how to race it. When would you race it anyways?

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Buy a used car up to 3 years old. You can get some really nice ones for under 20k. Just make sure it's certified or at least take it to a mechanic before you purchase it. You want a full inspection.

There is no need for getting a brand new car.

If I had the cash to get a car I'd pick some like this up. 2005 Scion tC. Year is a little old, but it's the last year red was available.

magickarl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

There are so many sweet rides you can get with $20,000 it's hard to even throw suggestions out there.

Me? I never really got in to the rice rocket stuff. Ginormous spoilers and uber-tail pipes don't have any sort of appeal.

If it were me - I would pick up a G-ride. Like a lincoln or a cadillac. Big backseat ;-)

Since your looking for something sporty, I've got to tell you that the new mustangs are ****ing bonerific and fall around that price range. I have a buddy who got one with his military sign on bonus and every time I get in the car I feel like I'm in an action movie. Plus, ladies love mustangs.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love the responses.

If you're serious about becoming a driver - as in behind the wheel track time, not just pressing the gas on the straight-away and off ramps, get a Miata or if your parents are willing to - S2000 or 350z.

An STi or Evo has too much power for a young, inexperienced driver and the power bands are farrrr different than an N/A. Plus, its a waste of car on a 17 year old - no offense intended, just being honest.

Though the RSX-S or WRX are solid choices - for fun commuter cars and offer a solid base for learning about mechanics and performance. Focus SVT, Scion TC and Civic Si are also decent choices. But again, if you're serious, get a RWD car.

And let me know if you want any race school info - I've done the Z06 Experience (both C5 and C6 models) at Bondurant, and the Skip Barber High Performance course with the Lotus.

I'm going back to SB in June for the new Lexus IS-F. If you get a Miata, and your parents are willing spend the money, go to a race school. You'll become a better driver than 99% of drivers. And SB has a program specifically for Mazdas. Let me know, I can probably get you a good deal.

The most significant modification to any car is the driver, nothing even comes close.
Numbers don't mean anything if you don't know how to drive properly. And hell, its a sh1tload of fun.

And in regards to the Prius, don't kid yourself. The cost of owning a Prius is very high. Call up your local Toyota and ask how many Priuses are in for Head Lamp ($1800+) work. And they won't use gas under a certain power level, so you don't get to go on any highways or main Boulevards. Disruptive Technology, thy name is TESLA.

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know i'm in the minority, but with 20K i'd get a 2005 Mustang V6 Convertible.

I've got my reasons. not the least of which is my dislike for rice cars.

Get a good used car, don't buy into that "used cars are unreliable" bull. do your research and you'll find out exactly how much more you'd be paying for a new car than a used one.

TheBucketOfTruth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well what kind of cars do you like? You should be more specific about what you're looking for.

I drive a Subaru STi and agree that it might be a lot of car for most 17 year olds.

I'm going to come from left field here and suggest picking up a slightly used VW Jetta TDI. Hybrids are stupid, but with the TDI you get almost the economy of the hybrid but are still driving a normal car that drives well and has nice fit and finish. I assume you don't mind driving a diesel.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cars for under 20k...

civic
scion
corolla

Also if your going to be driving it alot, like commuting to college, etc. you want a car that is capable of driving through all seasons. Don't buy any rear wheel drive cars because you can't drive in the snow and they don't handle too great on turns when it rains.

I have a front rear drive car, alot better than my rear wheel drive.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AAAgent said:
Don't buy any rear wheel drive cars because you can't drive in the snow and they don't handle too great on turns when it rains.
Yes, in snow RWD is a nightmare. Rain - its just more fun. :whistle:

But if weather is an issue in your area, your best bet is the Subaru WRX in my opinion.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
almost all awd or 4wd cars are going to be over 20k that's why i suggested front wheel drive options.

Cableguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just sold my highly modified 05 STi for $22,000. It only had 23k miles. But, it was ALOT of car. God I miss it. The WRX would be a better choice for a young guy.

Crazy Asian: take some time and do some research on reliable used cars. For 20k you could not only get a sick ride, but have some leftover cash for audio, wheels, performance upgrades, etc. Has anyone been car shopping lately? They are practically giving cars away. Especially trucks.