Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Car for about 10 to 15k

guayaballer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a car, that looks pretty good, fast, and can be modified. I dont want to have a car that is seen alot (im sick of seeing civics around my way) I just got into cars so I dont really know alot but have some cars into consideration such as a toyota celica gts or the gt model from the previous generations. also i really like the twin turbo stealth but i have heard that it has alot of problems and breaks down often, I wouldnt mind buying a stang or a camaro but gas would kill me if i were to consider a v8. so any ideas on what can be a good car that u dont see often and is good at stock but can be turned into a wicked fast and good looking car? Bible belt I know you have a stealth and wanted to know your experience driving it

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are a lot of fast cars out there. Maybe it is because I am a little older, but I have always been fond of 90's import tuner cars, especially the 300zx and Stealths.

I have a 91 300zx that is supposed to be getting a chevy v8 from a 94 Camaro, but that project has stalled.

Before my turbo Stealth, I had a 95 RT, the non-turbo Stealth, and that was a great car. They are fast enough to be fun, look good, and are easier to fix and a little more reliable than the twin turbo.

I leaned out the door just now to take a couple pics. I didn't try to clean up the car or anything. This is my current baby from 1991. I get a lot of compliments from people who don't know what my car is, they just like it:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x252/dotheopposite/SDC10277.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x252/dotheopposite/SDC10276.jpg

I should really sell her, but I just fvcking love this car. I found a great one to buy. These cars can easily be money pits, and I found one with a giant stack of receipts for work done to it, but it was all work that made sense, or at least did not diminish the value of the car. The receipt for those rims and tires is for $3,000. That is equal to the price I paid for my previous RT Stealth. I would never drop money like that on rims, but they are fun to have.

This is the Stealth/3000GT web forum:
http://www.3si.org/

It's not that the cars are that unreliable; for the most part, they are not so bad. It's mostly that they are just very difficult to work on, and Mitsubishi will not sell a lot of the old computer parts. You can find what you need on that 3si site, though. Guys are parting out old cars all the time.

The Stealth is a lot of fun, corners like on rails, and when the turbos hit, it's like a jet engine kicking in. I love the AWD, too. We just had an ice storm, but I went everywhere, would park in friend's yards when they were stuck in their own driveways.

If you buy a turbo'd 90's car, look for one that has not been boosted. A $250 boost controller can give 100+ more horsepower right away, but in the hands of a typical idiot kid, he will overboost and kill the engine right away. Boost wears engines in any car with turbo, but upping the boost accelerates that wear very quickly.

There are a lot of fun cars out there for a little less money. I paid $8k for my Stealth. If I had less to spend, I might have bought an Rx7, Conquest TSI, Dodge Daytona (unreliable but fast & cheap), or pretty much any Nissan Z car ever made.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cars are a huge money pit. i wish i could have the money back that i spend. i had two low 11 sec subarus. also, once you modify the cars, reliability goes to ****.

DarkShade

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a used Lexus IS300, nice cars, respond very well to boost (2JZ-GE, aka Toyota Supra engine)

I had an S2000, it was fun as hell but not very practical.

Duffdog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I second the IS300 -- they are neat little cars ( I have one but its kind of small for my body size )

Another item to think about is a used Nissan 350Z-- those have good power and don't look so cheap. Or, if you are feeling adventurous, keep in mind that Mercedes Benz drop in value extremely fast. You could go get a used 2003 E class for about 15K no problem. It depends on what image you are going for I guess. Some people think that the type of car you drive says a lot about you, its up to you to decide.

That being said, I hate civics and other econo-box cars. And I will never buy a volkswagen at any time in my life.

guayaballer

Don Juan
Reaction score
Crimson I know pretty much basic things but am continuing to learn more and more each day. well it would depend how much i would have after i buy the car. for instance if i buy an 8k car i would immediatley put the 2000 dollars remaining straight into the car and anything else that it would need i would have to save up. That mcdonalds scraper is sick hahaha your deff going to have to post up some pictures if you go through with it. I agree the stang gt and cobras are amazing but the cobra is too expensive.
bible belt you stealth is a SICK looking car and is now my wallpaper lol. I like 90s tuners as well, not really too fond of car designs nowadays. I am deffinatley getting a 90s turboed car and the stealth is at the top of my list ( maybe sell yours to me? lol) I dont really see many of them around anymore which is what i like about them. Bible what i was wondering is if it breaks down alot, with the summer approaching i wouldnt want it to break down on the way to the beach or to my girls house.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks. I love that car. It is the first nice car I have ever owned.

I have never had either Stealth break down on me and not gotten where I was going. They are reliable in that sense, built in Japan by Mitsubishi.

The things that break tend to relate to the ridiculous complexity of these cars. You have to be able to overlook minor annoyances or get good at fixing them. That 3si is a great forum. You can find instructions on how to fix the little things that tend to go wrong with these cars. There are usually cars for sale on there, too. Beware of someone else's project car, though, unless they are a real professional at what they do. Both of my turbo cars I bought because they were owned by adults who bought them because they looked pretty and not to push the limits of a turbocharged engine. That is how to find a reliable car that is still a turbo, or at least do the best you can.

Captain Harlock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Paintballguy said:
cars are a huge money pit. i wish i could have the money back that i spend. i had two low 11 sec subarus. also, once you modify the cars, reliability goes to ****.
which is why I love motorcycles. For the same money you have a vehicle that is a lot faster and a lot cheaper. My GS500 is almost as fast as those subarus and I paid less than 1000 euro for it. And I haven't even gotten to upgrading its performance.

dmatter

Don Juan
Reaction score
I really like the supra but it costs a ****load ive seen 98 supras being sold for 40 thousand,I was wondering if I bought a 97 celica and put in a supra engine and bodykit, would it be a cheaper alternative.

DarkShade

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't get a Supra, they are terribly overpriced and rare to find one that hasn't been beaten to death.

Captain Harlock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
why not just get a 2nd hand BMW or Merc. They're nice cars and tuning is just awful most of the time anyway.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
guys, are you forgetting his price range?? 10-15k. with that kind of money he cannot get used bmw's/benz, no 350z, or supra. you might be able to get a high mileage is300 but i doubt it.

i'd say save up to 20k or so and start shopping for Mazda Rx7. 3rd gen. It's ALOT of work but its beautiful. stock its fast as sh!t, and suped up its becomes sick. How tall are you anyway. im 5'11 and i do not sit well in a rx7/s2000.

Captain Harlock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know what it's like in the US but over here you can get BMWs/Mercs for a couple of thousand euros with less than 200k on the counter.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Subarus are nice. The 2.5RS versions are cheap and you can always drop in an STi or WRX engine block and use that.

They also have AWD.

Miatas are nice but a little small for most people. The RX-7 or RX-8 are great cars as long as you're willing to risk the rotary engine and you don't see them that often.

I'd look for something about 100k-150k on the odomoeter max. You don't want it to be too used up.

DarkShade

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You can find a lot of 60k-100k mileage IS300's in that price range, I myself have been searching for that price range (but I can't buy till next year :p) 100k on a Toyota engine is pretty much just 'broken in'

A beastly car you might be able to swing would be a high mileage RX7, and when the rotary engine blows (and it will, around 100k miles) drop a 350 in it and watch the jaws drop.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whatever you do, please don't be one of those people who buy crappy economy cars and put loud exhausts and tons of cheap flashy crap on them and drive like douchebags.