Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

caluses from lifting

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
anyone have a good way to rub out the caluses from lifting.. When i lift heavy, the only skin rips off, along with the new skin. Someone recommended i shave them down, but how exactly do i do that?

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I love the caluses.

There's nothing more saddening than a guy with soft, silky hands.

If youre concerned about them, wear gloves.

About treatment, don't touch them, over time they'll come off when they're ready.

onyx

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to get them quite bad my hands used to hurt me so I couldn't even grip the weight much even a few days after i'd originally caused them...i started wearing gloves and it was fine

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
no gloves here..i like them, but when you lift heavy, the top old skin peels off with the new skin.. one of the older powerlifters at my gym suggested i shave them, but i didn't get a chance to ask him how and with what?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
anyone have a good way to rub out the caluses from lifting.. When i lift heavy, the only skin rips off, along with the new skin. Someone recommended i shave them down, but how exactly do i do that?
Use a pumice stone. 2-3 times a week after your training. Don't go to hard, just the top of the callus.

Next learn to grip your bar correctly.

The bar should be close to your fingers, not in the middle of your hand. Check the picture in the middle of the page of this article: How to Perform the Deadlift With Proper Technique

Also try chalk.

Good question btw, should be a sticky.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My girlfriend in college had me using one of her nail files. Wish i'd kept up with it..

donjuanjovi

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
120 grit sand paper.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
Use a pumice stone. 2-3 times a week after your training. Don't go to hard, just the top of the callus.

Next learn to grip your bar correctly.

The bar should be close to your fingers, not in the middle of your hand. Check the picture in the middle of the page of this article: How to Perform the Deadlift With Proper Technique

Also try chalk.

Good question btw, should be a sticky.
Thanks strong..yea, i've been using chalk, im almost out though :(

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If mine rip during a workout I superglue them and sort them out later.

Slone

Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Even though women complained, I really liked seeing and feeling my callouses; they confirmed the hard work I was putting in at the gym. Unfortunately, they went away after a few years of lifting, I guess my body adjusted.

Wear gloves if you must; I personally hate them, and I hate seeing guys wearing them, too, even though they afford a better grip.
Why do you care if other people wear gloves? My gym doesn't allow chalk, I sweat like a beast, and I wear gloves when I do weighted pullups and deadlifts. I don't understand what is so macho about having callouses, I'd rather not have hunks of hardened skin and blood blisters constantly peeling off my hands.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slone said:
My gym doesn't allow chalk, I sweat like a beast, and I wear gloves when I do weighted pullups and deadlifts. I don't understand what is so macho about having callouses, I'd rather not have hunks of hardened skin and blood blisters constantly peeling off my hands.
The problem with gloves:
-the bar becomes thicker. You've got something between the bar & your hand. Those who have trained with fat bars know what I'm talking about
-it leads to other problems. Eczema's from sweating & wearing gloves. Maybe you're not prone to it, but many do.
-it's not allowed in competitions. better to build good habits, you never know.

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
well as the guy at my gym put it, your cheating yourself by lifting heavy with gloves. You won't develop your grip strength.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
well as the guy at my gym put it, your cheating yourself by lifting heavy with gloves. You won't develop your grip strength.
Don't you mean straps, not gloves?

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
blackbelt2k said:
I think i'd be cheating my back NOT using gloves(straps) because my grip has always given out way before my back does on any exercise. I only use straps on the heaviest set of the day, though. I'm not goign to deadlift 340 today when i could be doing 380 with straps.

Poo on my grip if it's at the expense of my back. I want a big, strong back. No one takes pictures of my forearms and sends them to their girl friends while i'm asleep. Yeah a girl did this to me by sending her friends pictures of my back from her cell when i was sleeping on my stomach without a shirt. Talk about motivation to keep it up after reading their responses when she admitted it to me a few weeks later... :)

As far as gloves.. i haven't done that in a long time but i have used them for benching before since my gym has no chalk and my hands get really sweaty on a real hot day and start to slide out-ward on the bar midset. The gloves keep them from sliding. I don't think they help on any other lifts because a thinner bar is easier to hold than a thick bar and gloves just make it thicker.

Why is "out-ward" without a hyphen censored?

blackbelt2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
I think i'd be cheating my back NOT using gloves(straps) because my grip has always given out way before my back does on any exercise. I only use straps on the heaviest set of the day, though. I'm not goign to deadlift 340 today when i could be doing 380 with straps.

Poo on my grip if it's at the expense of my back. I want a big, strong back. No one takes pictures of my forearms and sends them to their girl friends while i'm asleep. Yeah a girl did this to me by sending her friends pictures of my back from her cell when i was sleeping on my stomach without a shirt. Talk about motivation to keep it up after reading their responses when she admitted it to me a few weeks later... :)

As far as gloves.. i haven't done that in a long time but i have used them for benching before since my gym has no chalk and my hands get really sweaty on a real hot day and start to slide out-ward on the bar midset. The gloves keep them from sliding. I don't think they help on any other lifts because a thinner bar is easier to hold than a thick bar and gloves just make it thicker.

Why is "out-ward" without a hyphen censored?

use chalk, it'll be like glue, and if your gym doesn't allow chalk, they fell a pad (liquid chalk, i think)

Slone

Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
The problem with gloves:
-the bar becomes thicker. You've got something between the bar & your hand. Those who have trained with fat bars know what I'm talking about
-it leads to other problems. Eczema's from sweating & wearing gloves. Maybe you're not prone to it, but many do.
-it's not allowed in competitions. better to build good habits, you never know.
These are the only legitimate arguments against gloves I've seen so far. The thickness difference never bothers me, I don't get any skin problems, and I lift for strength, size, and basketball, not powerlifting competitions. If I'm sweaty and I don't use gloves for pullups/chinups, I slide right off the metal bar in my gym. I don't think anyone should feel discouraged against using gloves.