Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

bulking on a budget

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hey. so i just moved out to be on my own and live away from home to attend college. i've been reading up a little on how to put on muscle mass and i understand the basic concepts of how many calories and how to lift and everything, but it seems like eating this much is gonna cost me, a poor college student, an arm and a leg.

is there anyone that is in a similar position to me that is a little short on funds but has established a good "shopping" list that's relatively inexpensive but that has a good amount of protein, good carbs, good fats, good vitamins and nutrients etc. im a total newb and ive never been on a bulking cycle per se, and i need some help. thanks in advance.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude get whatever ground beef you can...and learn to use a George Foreman grille and something to soak up even more fat.

Eggs are cheap. Milk is cheap,fat free is the way to go. Raw peanuts are good and tasty. Go to a store like Trader Joes and get some whole wheat store brand bread,good and cheap,no b.s. ingredients.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
all the foods mentioned are CLEAN and you will be lean and muscular if u eat them, bulking involves EXCESSIVE CARBS.

If u want to bulk on budget nothing will get you there faster than pasta and sandwhichs

For nutritional price nothing beats eggs and tuna. Eggs go for about a penny per gram of protein and tuna goes for 2 or 3 pennies per gram.

Last edited:

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll be dirty bulking (to a point) on a budget, because you won't be able to afford the lean meats and the protein bars/whey powder/supplements.

As mentioned, ground beef. Staple diet for you now. Think of it as 2x the calories (because of the addd fat) per gram compared to say, chicken.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't need lean meats to stay lean. The correct fats actually help you lose weight. Just buy whatever leanest ground beef you can afford, then don't worry about it. Just soak up what you can from it. If you cook it in a pan,after you flip it put a paper towel to it and press a little.

time is now

Reaction score
This is what my diet consists of:
chicken, tuna, oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat bread, cottage cheese, eggs, skim milk, peanut butter, ON Gold Standard Whey Protein, and fruit.

Its best to buy in wholesale (Go to Costco or Sam's Club)
Buy whole chickens and clean them up yourself its cheaper than buying packaged breasts for example.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Muscleman's post was dead on. But don't forget to look at the ingredients in the whole wheat bread. If it says 'hydrogenated' anything,stay away from it. And if sugar is added it's also trash.

Brown rice as well.

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
this is great guys thanks. keep it coming, and the more specific the better. anyone care to volunteer their specific grocery list for a week? (or the three day period that bigshot's article spoke of)?

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Here my list for the week.

10lbs of the leanest ground beef I can afford. Sometimes I get ground turkey.
8 cans of albacore tuna
10lbs of grapes
8 lbs of strawberries
1 or 2 cantaloupe
at least 128 eggs(I eat a 1:3 whole egg to egg white)
2 loaves of whole wheat bread
2 lbs of raw peanut butter or almond butter
1 gallon of fat free milk
1 package of Tillamook cheese(last me a month)

Muerte

Reaction score
blinkwatt101 said:
Here my list for the week.

10lbs of the leanest ground beef I can afford. Sometimes I get ground turkey.
8 cans of albacore tuna
10lbs of grapes
8 lbs of strawberries
1 or 2 cantaloupe
at least 128 eggs(I eat a 1:3 whole egg to egg white)
2 loaves of whole wheat bread
2 lbs of raw peanut butter or almond butter
1 gallon of fat free milk
1 package of Tillamook cheese(last me a month)

But this isn't a weeks supply, is it? The peanut butter alone is ~11k cals, lol :D

Muerte

Reaction score
blinkwatt101 said:
Yes it is.
Damn, what's your height and weight? And how are the macros onyour diet (p/c/f)? That must be at least 350gr of protein a day, right?

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Muerte said:
Damn, what's your height and weight? And how are the macros onyour diet (p/c/f)? That must be at least 350gr of protein a day, right?
No way dude. I barely hit 200-235 grams of protein like I should be. 2lbs of peanuts isn't as much as you think it is,basically a small bowl of cereal at most.

I'm 5 8" 159lbs at 5.5% body fat at the moment.

I don't know what these macros are you speak of but my only goal is to try and hit 150% of my body weight in protein. Anything over that I've found is pointless. You just fart it out.

Muerte

Reaction score
blinkwatt101 said:
No way dude. I barely hit 200-235 grams of protein like I should be. 2lbs of peanuts isn't as much as you think it is,basically a small bowl of cereal at most.

I'm 5 8" 159lbs at 5.5% body fat at the moment.

I don't know what these macros are you speak of but my only goal is to try and hit 150% of my body weight in protein. Anything over that I've found is pointless. You just fart it out.
Wait, are you eating 2lbs of peanut BUTTER or 2lbs of peanuts? Hell of a difference ;)

Macros are your daily numbers for protein, fat and carbs and overall calories, so for ex. 200gr of protein a day, with 200gr of carbs and 100g of fat or something along those lines.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wait, are you eating 2lbs of peanut BUTTER or 2lbs of peanuts? Hell of a difference

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not but it's normally 2lbs of raw organic peanut butter that I grind at the grocery store myself. Put in the raw peanuts,this machine grinds'em up for me.

Macros are your daily numbers for protein, fat and carbs and overall calories, so for ex. 200gr of protein a day, with 200gr of carbs and 100g of fat or something along those lines.

Oh pft. Dude I've never tracked a carb,calorie or gram of fat I've ever eaten in the 3 years I've been seriously lifting. My buddy who trains me taught me that as long as you eat healthy real food from the earth(animals,fruits,veggies and nuts),you can eat however much you want and it won't turn into fat and such. (use your head though,5lbs of ground beef a day won't be good in the long run,nor would eating solely tuna for days straight)

Muerte

Reaction score
blinkwatt101 said:
Wait, are you eating 2lbs of peanut BUTTER or 2lbs of peanuts? Hell of a difference

I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not but it's normally 2lbs of raw organic peanut butter that I grind at the grocery store myself. Put in the raw peanuts,this machine grinds'em up for me.

Oh pft. Dude I've never tracked a carb,calorie or gram of fat I've ever eaten in the 3 years I've been seriously lifting. My buddy who trains me taught me that as long as you eat healthy real food from the earth(animals,fruits,veggies and nuts),you can eat however much you want and it won't turn into fat and such. (use your head though,5lbs of ground beef a day won't be good in the long run,nor would eating solely tuna for days straight)

I'm not being sarcastic, 2lbs of peanuts is ~5k calories and 2lbs peanut butter is ~11k, so there is a big difference ;)

I like your concept on the second one. Personally, I have to track at least protein intake to get enough in. If it works for you, kudos to you :)

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(JJ) said:
hey. so i just moved out to be on my own and live away from home to attend college. i've been reading up a little on how to put on muscle mass and i understand the basic concepts of how many calories and how to lift and everything, but it seems like eating this much is gonna cost me, a poor college student, an arm and a leg.

is there anyone that is in a similar position to me that is a little short on funds but has established a good "shopping" list that's relatively inexpensive but that has a good amount of protein, good carbs, good fats, good vitamins and nutrients etc. im a total newb and ive never been on a bulking cycle per se, and i need some help. thanks in advance.
Ask prisoners how they get so big. Their diet is basically filler with no nutritional value yet they manage to get huge somehow.