Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bros before hoes - where do you draw the line?

SteR

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a phrase I've heard thrown around quite a lot and personally it's something I try to adhere to in my life. The only problem is I had a situation arise in the last couple of days that made me question whether I took it too far.

Basically I was away on a new years trip with a couple of buddies. One of buddies has been a long time friend of mine - one of my best. The problem is he's absolutely horrendous with girls. So we check in to our hotel and get talking to a couple of girls who are staying in the same hotel as us. One of them is pretty hot and instantly I can tell my buddy has fallen for her. I only chat to her for a couple of minutes but already my spider sense is tingling and I can tell she's keen for me.

So later on we're hanging out and it gets more and more obvious that my friend is head over heels for this chick. She goes along with it all, however I keep catching her gazing at me throughout the evening. Having got to know her a little more over this period it's becoming clear there's a definite attraction between the two of us.

Now the thing is, most of the time I think guys can tell when a chick is into them or not and I'd have expected him to notice the very obvious signals she was giving me, but no dice. He then proceeds to go full on stalker mode and literally follows her around the beach, the bars, the clubs, everything. After a couple of days her friend politely told him it'd probably be a good idea if he cooled off. I even had to take him aside at one point to tell him to chill out as he was creeping her out.

So anyway it gets to day three by this point and I've managed to hold off all this time however I'm really starting to ache for this girl and I can tell the feeling's mutual. At one point we're all hanging in the room and I go out for a smoke with my other friend. She then leaves the others to come out and join us. The other friend knew what was up so he made his excuses and went back in.. so it was just us 2 outside. Now the problem here was that I could tell she was waiting for me to kiss her, but I could also see my friend watching us from inside the room so I had to restrain myself - it took every ****ing ounce of self control I had.

I think a lot of guys probably would've just taken the chance and risked hurting their friend but I knew if I did this it'd absolutely crush my friend. He had fallen hard for this girl and I couldn't bring myself to do it, but at the same time, if there was no chance of him getting anywhere that it's almost unfair on me to pass up on something like this?

What would you guys have done in this situation? How far do you take this bros before hoes code? To be honest, if i had to do it all again I'd probably still make the same decision - it's just so frustrating having to pass up on something so good..

aridchimp

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, it totally depends on your relationship. But...

In your situation, I would have talked to him more directly about what was going on.

Still, never throw away a longtime male friend over a girl, man.

It is much harder to make bros than find hos.

hanni

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of what you think are friends will drop you in a heartbeat, over some really bs, chicken**** things, man. if she aint interested in the guy, then he's dead in the water anyway. talk to him about it.

hanni

Banned
Reaction score
I"ve never found it hard to find women or buds. All it takes for the women is to teach karate. All it takes to meet good buds is shoot combat pistol competition and place in the top 10%. You'll have plenty of guys wanting to know you. If you also do gunsmithing, make CCW holster, load ammo and sell cast bullets, you'll soon have buds crawling out of your ears.

TheSplat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm proud of you man. That's the way a true friend should act. I know how you feel, been there too. You made the right choice. It's just a girl, but it's a bro you've known forever. Great job.

Glumix

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem here is your friend is a total AFC...

I would have talked to him on day 1 and told him he has no chance because he acts like a creep and that he should learn some basics. And kissed the girl on day 3 to show him that he just does not get it.

But my bros know me and they know that if they do the same I would not care. There is no girl between us. One day it's me. One day it's one of my bro. And we will congratulate each other on the good night and fun. No problem with that.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you did the right thing SteR.

Just because your friend would have sandbagged you in a second for this girl (and I guarantee you he would have), doesn't mean you should too. You took one for his overall well being.

I could see an argument for teaching him a lesson, but frankly that's a bit cruel and unnecessary. The greater issue here is that he is a raging AFC and needs to get a grip on interacting with women.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Confront him. Pull him aside and bluntly tell him, "look, I tried to help you, but she likes you and not me. You're going to have to deal with it."

Do this BEFORE you touch her. Let him throw his tantrum then, when you are trying to have an adult conversation with him before you become the bad guy by stealing what he thinks is his girl. You're doing him a favor by helping him realize he sucks with girls and needs to work on his game. If you can't have a no-bullsh!t conversation with the guy, how much of a friend is he? He should be able to tell that you have put a lot of effort into restraining yourself already.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Agree with all above. Good for you for putting him first. That must have taken some real restraint. I've been on both sides...I've been that clueless AFC, except I wasn't THAT clueless. I was more angry and frustrated which turned into desperation, and eventually self-loathing because I realized I was sabotaging a friend with a shot at a girl. I don't think AFCs are as stupid as we think. Deep down, they know how it all works. I suppose with experience, the ego doesn't get as bruised. Anyway, try to level with him, maybe offer to be his wing.

Trailboss

Don Juan
Reaction score
You could have satisfied BOTH sides....at some point, you could have told that chick: "hey...my bro really digs ya...I can tell you ain't into him, but he's my bro, so...While I, myself, am digging on you, I can't do sh*t while my bro is hanging around watching. I know it seems kinda creepy but...he's just AFC...so let's be cool about this, so we don't hurt his feelings, and I'll meet you anywhere you like later and bang your F'ing brains out!"

You would be surprised how many chicks would find your "loyalty" and "compassion" for your AFC friend endearing and, kind of, a turn on........ask me how I know.......

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could have satisfied BOTH sides....at some point, you could have told that chick: "hey...my bro really digs ya...I can tell you ain't into him, but he's my bro, so...While I, myself, am digging on you, I can't do sh*t while my bro is hanging around watching. I know it seems kinda creepy but...he's just AFC...so let's be cool about this, so we don't hurt his feelings, and I'll meet you anywhere you like later and bang your F'ing brains out!"

You would be surprised how many chicks would find your "loyalty" and "compassion" for your AFC friend endearing and, kind of, a turn on........ask me how I know.......
That is the champ solution! Creating lots of drama that will keep her interested for weeks to come... and during that time you can sort it out with your bro.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a lot of guys probably would've just taken the chance and risked hurting their friend but I knew if I did this it'd absolutely crush my friend. He had fallen hard for this girl and I couldn't bring myself to do it, but at the same time, if there was no chance of him getting anywhere that it's almost unfair on me to pass up on something like this?
I think you did the right thing. Girls come and go, but TRUE FRIENDS are very, very rare.

Also, consider the statement:

"Bros before Hos"

Bro = A true friend. The guy you call when you're in jail. The guy you call when you need to borrow money, and the guy you lend money to no questions asked.
Ho = A "low value" woman, or a woman with UNKNOWN value, short term or long term

Notice the statement is NOT:

"Dudes you know casually" before "girls that make likely partners for long term wealth building"

If there's ever a question, ask yourself this:

"Who would I rather still be on good terms with, in one year, if I HAD to chose one?"

The measure of an ADULT MALE is the ability to DELAY GRATIFICATION in the interests of long term, self chosen goals.

More often than not, your sexual drive and the short term floozies that are happy to fulfill it are distractions, and won't help in the long term.

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A true bro is worth more than any ho. My best friend talked me out of taking revenge on someone recently, I was so pizzed I had a panic attack. So I called him. Man he saved me from going off the deep end. Bros first, always.

sodbuster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Need to be able to distinguish between acquaintances and true bro's..... IF you can't tell him what he's doing wrong, and have him think about it, he may not be a bro