Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

[Breaking News] Violent Volcano Strikes In Japan

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drdeee said:
"The earthquake moved Honshu 2.4 m (7.9 ft) east and shifted the Earth on its axis by almost 10 cm (3.9 in)." - WikiPedia.

You're too smart for yourself, and your head is deep inside your as*hole thanks to FOX newz.
Chill the fvck out. He's only 15. I'm sure you were very knowledgeable at that age. You must be some kind of genius right now.

The nuclear disaster is getting greater and greater, but I'm pretty sure that is under-reported and downplayed. Three (3) explosions by now. Not enough water in core, and it blew, there was a meltdown. Maybe watch media from around the world?
Guess I was wrong about that genius part. From what I read:

The cooling system cracked because of the massive earthquake. The core started acting up on it's own. To prevent an uncontrolled reaction they started to pump the place full of seawater. They "explosions" are caused by steam and hydrogen (water reacting with the hot core, creates hydrogen) escaping from the core.

The "disaster" is not "getting greater and greater". It looks like they're containing it very well so far and the disaster response has been exemplary. Keep in mind the facility was hit by one of the largest earthquakes they've seen AND a tsunami.

Rogue

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Up until now, I've remained agnostic as the turbulence of contradictory assessments has been too chaotic, but the United States has now broken off with Japanese assessments, as those assessments of the Japanese government were based upon limited data reliant upon Tokyo Electric which is a private company and were not independently verifiable.
The chairman of the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission gave a far bleaker appraisal on Wednesday of the threat posed by Japan’s nuclear crisis than the Japanese government had offered. He said American officials believed that the damage to at least one crippled reactor was much more serious than Tokyo had acknowledged, and he advised Americans to stay much farther away from the plant than the perimeter established by Japanese authorities…. The Congressional testimony by Gregory Jaczko, the chairman of the commission, was the first time the Obama administration had given its own assessment of the condition of the plant, apparently mixing information it had received from Japan with data it had collected independently. (New York Times)
There may be "now little or no water in the pool storing spent nuclear fuel at the No. 4 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, leaving fuel rods stored there exposed and bleeding radiation into the atmosphere." The container vessels may be ruptured. The workers who have braved what are essentially Kamikaze suicide missions to avert a full meltdown have been valiantly heroic, but their containment the situation is questionable. Unless crowd-control water cannons, dumping water from helicopters, or some other emergency act of desperation proves effective, it would seem we may be on a collision course with a complete nuclear meltdown.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Munson said:
We know what a nuclear WEAPON DETONATION looks like. Do you know what a meltdown looks like? Idiot.

Pander your bullsh*t scare tactics somewhere else. We're trying to have a discussion about reality, not fantasy.

Rogue said:
There may be "now little or no water in the pool storing spent nuclear fuel at the No. 4 reactor of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station, leaving fuel rods stored there exposed and bleeding radiation into the atmosphere." The container vessels may be ruptured. The workers who have braved what are essentially Kamikaze suicide missions to avert a full meltdown have been valiantly heroic, but their containment the situation is questionable.
I don't think the radiation into the atmosphere is a big problem. The real concern seems to be that their cooling efforts haven't worked. I would imagine the fuel rods are still hot and could start a self sustainable reaction soon.

I'm surprised they aren't prepared for this worst case scenario especially considering that Japan is fairly reliant on nuclear power and they have a very high population density around the plants.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Danger said:
A lot of things to consider both short term and long term.

Short-term

1. Flight to Yen (or other cash)

1. Makes sense, I imagine that it would be a flight to the US dollar short term if the Japanese decide to recall all those loans they gave to America. Now would be a good time to call that money back.

[*]Decreased technical production capacity (and thus certain commodities)
    I'm not sure what you mean by commodities, Japan isn't much of a raw material resource as they are a producer of goods. Unless you consider computer chips a commodity. Japan is also big on quality steel but there are other producers that could compensate for Japan's lack of production in the short term.

This would drive up the price of steel however. An investment opportunity. Unfortunately with the recession and turmoil worldwide people aren't focused on consumption as much. I would imagine most commodity prices to drop slowly in the long term if the global slowdown continues.

[*]Japan switches to fossil fuels (?)
    If this nuclear scare ends with very little damage and loss of life, I would hope they invest in safer technologies to control and clean the result of nuclear reactions. So far nuclear energy is awesome, until we lose control of it. Unlike a house fire which you can kill with water, once a nuclear reaction reaches meltdown you're helpless until it dies by itself.

There must be a better way of controlling these reactions and stopping them when necessary.

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is really sad. I really feel for Japan, Imagine the feeling of losing everything, nothing is under your control, you've lost friends, family, material wealth and now you're losing the land you live on.

I feel the apocalypse is going to come eventually, cause I believe God is real and all (Just my personal belief, no need to start a religious rant). But with all these natural disasters and just general ****storm, you really start to wonder.

Hopefully not 2012 though; for my own selfish reasons mostly.

Btw. a little off topic but why is the Japanese YEN increasing in strength? shouldn't it be going down?