Boxer vs. Olympic Wrestler...Who Wins?

Fo_Sho

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've always been curious about this. If a professional boxer went toe-to-toe with an Olympic-caliber wrestler (in the same weight class) in a street fight (hand-to-hand combat only), who do you think would win? For example, in a street brawl that pits Lennox Lewis up against Alexander Karelin (3-time Olympic Greco-Roman Champion) who do you think would emerge victorious??

oElS

Don Juan
Reaction score
olympic wrestler by far... wrestlers ALWAYS win UFC

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah hard to tell. Wrestles do well in ultimate fighting. But then again, which boxers do they compete against? lol, all the absolute sh*t ones who cant make a living out of boxing. I mean if a wrestler got in punching range of Mike Tyson, and got hit before they got him on the ground, I wouldnt like to see their face, lol.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by oElS
olympic wrestler by far... wrestlers ALWAYS win UFC
no no no....wrestlers dont win....grapplers, especially JIU JITSU fighters WIN.....

BIG difference....

Frankie Poullain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright then, how about we throw Bruce Lee into the mix? Yea, one punch and he's down (again) but before that he could lay down some matrix style flying dropkick, all before the boxer blinks.

Note: Should this really be in the heath forum?

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"In a streetfight" This would be a fair analysis. The ground would be hard, which would affect the grappler. I'd love to see mike tyson [in his day] against any pro-wrestler. Or for that matter, ernesto hoost [Kickboxer].

Jui Jitsu does pants in UFC. BJJ [Brazilian JJ] does good. Theres a difference between the two.

Bruce lee would be interesting in a UFC styleé match-up. I think he'd bode well, but not if you took him as he was back in his day... BJJ is one of the most revolutionary things to hit UFC's. If you gave him some knowledge on BJJ then Bruce Lee > the Gracies hands down.

Sexual

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Daredevil could kick all their arses

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen
"In a streetfight" This would be a fair analysis. The ground would be hard, which would affect the grappler. I'd love to see mike tyson [in his day] against any pro-wrestler. Or for that matter, ernesto hoost [Kickboxer].

Jui Jitsu does pants in UFC. BJJ [Brazilian JJ] does good. Theres a difference between the two.

Bruce lee would be interesting in a UFC styleé match-up. I think he'd bode well, but not if you took him as he was back in his day... BJJ is one of the most revolutionary things to hit UFC's. If you gave him some knowledge on BJJ then Bruce Lee > the Gracies hands down.
Have you ever read any of Lee's works, such as Tao of Jeet Kune Do?

You would see just how far and wide his knowledge of fighting ranges. Lee seems to have known a vast amount on the true art of fighting, in every single aspect..ground fighting, boxing, pressure points, grappling and also on the aspects that take years to develop, such as reaction, timing, feinting, rhythm. I do believe that if Lee could put into action all that he understood, there really wouldn't be much competition for him in the ring.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
there really wouldn't be much competition for him in the ring.
excatly....i dont think theres any fighter at the level that bruce lee was in....

MVPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Fo_Sho
I've always been curious about this. If a professional boxer went toe-to-toe with an Olympic-caliber wrestler (in the same weight class) in a street fight (hand-to-hand combat only), who do you think would win? For example, in a street brawl that pits Lennox Lewis up against Alexander Karelin (3-time Olympic Greco-Roman Champion) who do you think would emerge victorious??
Are you kidding me? Do you know how fucking huge Karelin is? I pity Lennox. But anyway, this is a hard question to answer. Consider that heavyweight boxers can knock their opponents out with gloves on, how much damage do you think they could deal without gloves on? If the offense on both sides wasn't so lopsided at the highest levels of competition, this question would be answerable.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Deleted Post :)

Did some in depth reading on his grappling stuff, you're right. He probably would be able to handle the gracies etc :)

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Tyson will compete in K1 soon, but I don't think they will make him fight a grapler. He'll most likely fight Bob Sapp and win. Would love to see him fight an experianced MT striker like CroCop. Any BJJ master would take him down tho (but would prolly end up losing an ear)

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
haha, thats true about the ear :p

Tyson VS Sapp has been rumoured for longer than I care to remember. Some say if Sapp gets on his game he'll win. I disagree.

Tyson has been one of the most agressive boxers in history. Sapp has been one of the suckiest American Football Players in history. No contest :D

On a serious note though, If tyson worked on his legs and his kicking, he would be a machine. I'd be more interested in something like Hoost VS Tyson... I havnt kept up to news with K1 etc, you got any idea if that skin problem of Hoosts' is clearing up, MindOverMatter?

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm really not sure about Ernesto Hoost's condition, I think he's still out, but I can't find an update. Even his website doesn't offer any info.

I would love to see that fight, and I would bet on Hoost. Tyson can prolly outpunch any K1 fighter, but he isn't trained to defend against kicks. Another thing is, Tyson is very lazy when it comes to training, even for boxing fights. Teaching him how to defend against a world class kickboxer like Hoost is not gonna happen. If such a fight was to happen, I'd say Hoost in 4 with a high kick KO. He'd keep Tyson at a distance for the first couple of rounds, just getting in those fast low kicks, and crushing his legs. By 4th round, Tyson would be unable to get in close range, and would start to experiance Hoost's high kicks. game over.

Here's the kicker tho. Hoost has been beaten by Sapp twice (1st round and 2nd round KOs), and Sapp has a much weaker punch then Tyson. However, his footwork is much better, and his size was a big factor in pushing Hoost into corners where he could devestate him. But, Hoost did win their last fight.

I guess we can only wait and hope they promote the fight../

Soma

Banned
Reaction score
There are no definites in a street-fight but you can bet money that 9 out of 10 times a pure, high calibur, grappler will beat a pure, high calibur, striker.

-Soma

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
tyson in k1? where did yall hear this?

i heard he was going to fight again but i didnt think he was going to fight in the k1....thats kickboxing!! tyson is a boxer

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sapp VS Tyson has been rumoured for years dude, you've been living under a rock :p

Hoost is a machine. I, personally, think he has the best low kicks of anyone I have ever seen. The pins just fly right out, I have no idea how he gets that explosive strength :|

I didnt see any Hoost VS Sapp fights, but Sapp must have just pushed him around a lot and got a lucky punch in. When you're that big and you get a hit off on someone, it's powerful. Possibly as powerful as Tysons maybe, but frankly I havnt been hit by any of them, so I wouldnt know :D

I would quite possibly cream myself if Tyson came up against either Sapp or Hoost. :rolleyes: