books suggestions?

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what are books that have either challenged or changed your worldview? Like books that seriously impacted the way you look at life, or managed to conceptualize a previously esoteric concept?

I haven't really read much for the past half a decade so this summer I figured I'd read

on a recommendation, I picked up Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now". I also wanted to read either the Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged, I haven't decided which one yet

any other suggestions?

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

1984 by George Orwell

Hello to All That by John Falk

Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training by Mark Rippetoe

Infinite Intensity/Never Gymless by Ross Enamait

Kidfabulous

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Secret History of the American Empire: Economic Hit Men, Jackals, and the Truth about Global Corruption - John Perkins

After living the past 6 years in DC, and every 5 months each year now it's definitely opened my eyes even more. You don't take everything at face value; but it's not like I did before.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks guys

I'm looking these up right now

jesliejamu

Don Juan
Reaction score
the last moghul

well the last moghul has changed my view abt the world in a big way ....i am really thankful to the book for all its information!

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Physics of the Impossible......doesnt challenge worldwide views, but it is an interesting book.

Talks about how probably things such as laser beems, teleporting technology, light speed, etc will be in the future. If u are into that kinda stuff, its worth reading

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Prince by Machiavelli was an eye-opener, but I'd say that the 48 Laws of Power book is a better, modernized version of The Prince, so read that instead.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yea I got the 48 Laws on my shelf. I tend to look at the book more as an entertaining read than something applicable to my life. Maybe it's just the way I think

and thanks again for the responses everyone

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Prince of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker. It's Fantasy, but it's amazing, dark, thick plot and it will challenge your views.

I am interested in The Game by Neil Straus, but I find it kind of eerie that it's modeled after the Holy Bible, and I think that a lot of the info can be found on the web and sites like this one.

Noreigen(sp) Wood is an awesome book by a Japanese author who is just insanely talented at getting you involved with the story and playing with your senses and emotions, not to mention the roller coaster plots and deep character developments in all of his books. I high recommend his books.

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I liked Freakonomics and Blink a lot. I prefer reading fiction most of the time though, but as suggestions from others I read those and found they were interesting.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
bmxcetera said:
I liked Freakonomics and Blink a lot. I prefer reading fiction most of the time though, but as suggestions from others I read those and found they were interesting.
Excellent and entertaining book.

I suggest:

The 48 Laws of Power

How to win friends and influence people

The Secret

The Oddessey

The Art of War

Crime and Punishment

A Book of Five Rings

The Great Gatsby

and

Think big and kick ass

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my sister just came in and asked me why the fvck I was reading Atlas Shrugged. she read it in high school and I guess she hated it. lol

I enjoyed the Game but I thought most of the portrayals were straight up character assassination, especially TD. I used to lurk on fastseduction so most of what happened in that book I read in FR's off the msg boards

The best body language book I ever read was Teach Yourself Body Language. To the point, no fluff, and with a ton of exercises you can do in field to prove to yourself that what the book taught works. The Teach Yourself series also has an NLP book, which is awesome and helps you realize there's a ton more to it than just speed seduction. Again, no fluff, just well organized concepts

Carnegie's book is good but there's a less popular book out there called How to Have Confidence and Success with People by Les Giblin. Once again, no fluff, and it goes into more depth than Carnegie's book. Both of them basically focus on how people are ruled by their ego but I like Giblin's book a lot better. Once in a while there'll be a guy who hits up this board who has no working model of how to get people to like him whatsoever, even on the friendship tip. He'd benefit from reading either of these

And one of the best social psychology books I ever read was Influence by Cialdini. It was written to explain how sales and advertising use tricks to get what they want from you. A ton of pick-up and seduction models grew out of this book (IE social proof originated from here)