Blame the boomers

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.metronews.ca/toronto/comment/article/149497

f youth is wasted on the young then maybe love is too. How else to explain yet another young woman selling her virginity on the web, or the blogs, books and TV shows promoting starter marriages?

I was talking to a young friend about relationships. I wondered how she meets guys.

Do she and her friends go to bars? “Oh no,” she said. She and her friends might go to bars to meet a guy for a one-night fling but to find a meaningful relationship, they go online.

And what do they do, I asked, once they’ve found these meaningful relationships. Do they marry? “Lol,” she said. Why would they marry? Why bother?

An excellent article which drives the point home.

Wiesman44

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The American Way:

When sh#t goes wrong, throw the blame on someone else. Never admit fault. Its never your fault.

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No, the baby boomers really did begin the end for American morals and stuff. The free love and drugs never ended. When my parents say something bad about my generation, I politely remind them where we learned it.

Darth

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's true though. The boomer generation destroyed America. Not just from an economic standpoint, but eroding any sense of morals or right and wrong.

They were the hippies in the 60's and early 70's, and when they realized that wouldn't work, they decided to be smarter about it. Instead of being anti-establishment, they would BECOME the establishment.

So they shaved off their long, stupid hair and went into education, news, and politics to "change America." And starting about 20 years ago, they got in charge.

They wrecked and are continuing to wreck our country every day.

Black suit

Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel bad for America. I hate those guys who are ruining the world [not talking about America here, fyi.]

Maeisgood

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it true they will also eat up social security like a plague of geriatric locusts?

That is the common opinion but I heard one of my economics professors say that won't happen. I don't know who to believe.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Did your econ professor give any reasons why?

I'm pretty sure they will eat up SS and other government funds unless certain things happen. If the government cuts into their benefits, either reducing them or raising the age at which you can claim them, that could balance things out.

However, old people can still vote, and I can't see the boomers voting to make things worse for themselves. The me generation won't be too concerned with indebting their kids.

The other thing that could happen is they all start dying much faster than the projections expect.. This is possible since so many are overweight and have diabetes, etc, but medicine seems to be getting pretty good at keeping people alive.

Finally, a MASSIVE baby boom/immigration could avoid the problem, as the issue really is just too few working people compared to the number of retired people. However, I can't really see this happening.

In conclusion, I'd like to see your professor's reasoning. Because I can only see the younger generation being taxed to death for the next 30 years.