Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Best workout to boost energy levels and beat depression?

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also if ya can find out what the cause/root of the depression is (unless we are talking brain chemicals here..at which point I'm lost) and deal with that directly (all depends on what it is).

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mandiblard said:
Actually I find that drains quite a lot of energy.
Not if she does all the work.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
I'll say it again PSYCHOTROPIC MEDS ARE NOT THE WAY TO GO IF YOUR NOT FEELING RIGHT !!!
There may truly be something wrong but prescribed medications from corporations is not the direction to follow when finding help.
In Australia there have been a few of the rugby league players come out about suffering from depression. Guys who have everything. putting them on a diet and exercise plan is not going to help as they are already in top shape. Their brain is fvcked up.

drugs have been proven to train the brain to produce the right chemical balances and have there been many success storys.

You obviously haven't known someone who is seriously fvcked up. Drugs can be their only escape from misery.

What would you suggest these pro footy players do?

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one truly knows what causes depression. There are plenty of hypotheses out there: the monoamine hypothesis and the neurogenesis hypothesis are just two. Drugs work for some and not for others, but they should be a last resort. The best solution is to first change your lifestyle (diet, exercise, sun exposure, stresses, way of thinking, supplements etc.) because yes, that will beneficially affect your brain biochemistry, and only when you have exhausted your 'natural' options, try drugs.

Mr.Fantastic, could you please describe your depression more?

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Learn to do clean and jerk.
They're now fast becoming my favourite exercise.
It's a slow lift at first that EXPLODES into a blast of energy transfer.

Best. lift. ever.

Mr.Fantastic

Don Juan
Reaction score
Simon, you asked about my depression, basically, I have very little energy all the time, no matter how much I sleep, I am demotivated and can't seem to find the energy or perseverance to persue any of my former hobbies. I am downbeat and depressing to be around because I am generally miserable. I am also pretty angry, this expresses itself mainly when I am drunk (so I have cut out drinking to a large extent!). I am also pretty stressed I think, I snap at people often, like just talking piisses me off.

Mainly I want to energise myself so that I can get my life up and started. I want to have the energy and strength and stamina to be able to deal with life, and goddamit I will achieve it.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
simon said:
No one truly knows what causes depression. There are plenty of hypotheses out there: the monoamine hypothesis and the neurogenesis hypothesis are just two. Drugs work for some and not for others, but they should be a last resort. The best solution is to first change your lifestyle (diet, exercise, sun exposure, stresses, way of thinking, supplements etc.) because yes, that will beneficially affect your brain biochemistry, and only when you have exhausted your 'natural' options, try drugs.

Mr.Fantastic, could you please describe your depression more?
From my experience, unless its a chemical problem then its environmental. Take a look at your life, do some self analysis. Why am I feeling this way?.. is there something that I feel I'm missing?.. what do I want?.. am I going where I want in life?.. am I being treated as I want to be treated?

These aren't always easy questions for everyone, but if one can answer then truthfully.. Then you will know what the cause is and then you can take steps to change your environment to remove the problem. (depending on what the problem is it might not be fixed over night.. but over time and effort you can get there)

So as I see it, unless this is truly a chemical problem.. then its something that must be addressed directly to be fully corrected/healed. Adding different exercises for energy is treating the symptom rather then the cause.

Mr. Fantastic, I'm not trying to be a psychologist here but why are you angry? Can you answer the questions I listed above? (you don't have to write your answer in here if you don't want too.. but it helps if YOU know the answers.)

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some people go through hell and never get depressed, and then some people have everything and kill themselves. It just appears environmental issues are the problem, when no matter the circumstances they will still be depressed. These people need meds.

But!! for many people (me) they just need to take a step back and live a more primitive life. It's like some of the brain has not evolved past the hunter. For me to operate properly I must: lift weights, run, be in dangerous situations, eat natural, get into the wild as much as I can and try to limit the use of the analytical part of my brain.

JohnnyIrish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
Some people go through hell and never get depressed, and then some people have everything and kill themselves. It just appears environmental issues are the problem, when no matter the circumstances they will still be depressed. These people need meds.
Yep, as I said unless there is a chemical unbalance present then it is environmental. I grew up in crappy environments and as a result was pretty damn depressed a good part of my childhood. I didn't see it at first but in time I saw the problems and made several changes since then to where life pretty much kicks ass right now. As a result I think people are way to quick to call something a 'chemical imbalance' rather then realize the environment just really sucks.. This is where one needs to know themselves to figure out the cause and what to change to 'fix' the cause/problems.

The Ancient Greeks coined the 'simple but grand in its implications' phrase "Know thyself". Its not just a 'philosophy' but a necessity for a well lived/healthy/sane life in my opinion.

yep

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with Drum. I used to be depressed a long time ago and tryed to kill myself. Couldnt get out of the depression for anything i used to have neck spasisms (aka skitzo) and jerk alot.

Guess what tho....i didnt want that **** anymore so i started taking test pills working out socializing with everyone i knew eating good taking supplements and i'll be damned if not only am i not am i not depressed im happier than anyone i know, have lots of friends, and i'm stronger than i've ever been.

Not to mention sex drive is crazy and my girl loves it ;)

Guys if ur depressed AT LEAST try the health method first...if that dont work then resort to pills. I had to stay depressed for 2 years before i came out of it...so dont give me the "well i want a cure now excuse". Been there done that. GL

fireguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I do have a friend who uses small doses of Tegretol for his bipolar/manic depression. For him, it's a genetic thing inhereted on his mother side. With tegretol, he works like a normal person without the extreme highs and extreme lows.

I also take this drug. However, I take it because of my epilepsy and to keep me from having seizures.

Lamictal and Tegretol are popular for treating both depression and epilepsy, and I have extensive experience with both.

Let me tell you - If you can fix yor depression with nutririon and training, then do it. All drugs have side effects. Google whatever drug+side effects to see what you're in for if you do decide to take drugs.

In the beginning of my training career, I just did something every day that made me sweat for an hour. Weather it'd be weights, swimming, squash, basketball.... anything. And took protein shakes at breakfast, before and after training and before bedtime. Thats my basic starters out advice. Six weeks of this and youll be a new person.