Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bench Pressing Solo

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I workout alone and very early in the morning. No one else is in the gym. I generally use dumb bells for bench press and I have trouble with the initial lift off. I hold the weights, and fall backwards but the weight gets stuck on me, but if I start from an extended position everything goes fine.

Any suggestions on techniques to get the weight above me starting out?

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you lift them from the floor WHILE you're laying flat on the bench? Put the dumbbell at arms extended length on the floor and then just lift it up without bending your elbows.

This is a strange scenario. I don't understand how you're having trouble with initial lift-off yet are able to, I'm assuming, complete multiple reps with full range of motion. Either your range of motion is not full or you must need to work on pecs/shoulders. I'm taking a shot in the dark here so bear with me.

Oh, can't you ask the gym attendant/front-desk person to spot you?

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think its because of my body mechanics. I have long arms. A lot of reputable trainers like John Berardi suggest changing up the range of motion based on how you're built.

I might try a few extra warm up sets and see if that helps.

The attendant that time of morning is an 18 year old girl.

Shyyhs

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't understand the problem.

When I'm doing a dumbbell press, I pick up the weights, sit down and let the dumbbells lay on each thigh, by the knee. When I'm ready to go, I lean back, and kick my knees up(one at a time) and bam the weights are up in the air.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Like Shyyhs said, position with the dumbells on your knees, roll back whilst keeping that seated position, effectively kicking them up.

I used to do this, until it got ridiculous where i needed to basically deadlift the DB off the floor.. Then I switched to Barbell presses.