Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

bench press vs. push ups: how many/much?

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been working out with weights for 6 or 7 years (without stopping) and my chest is like my best worked out body part. I push 102,5kg (around 225lbs) 7 times. However I've always focused on the 5-10 range for building muscle and building strength.

One thing that I really find a bit funny however is, that I can about equally as much push-ups as in the 5th grade lol. I can do between 30 and 40 (really clean ones with nose touching the ground). I could do that in the 5th grade, too. However I'm definetly much stronger now (EDIT:I mean I'm much stronger compared to other guys my age of course HAHA). I'm wondering is it just b/c I have never worked on 'endurance' that I can't do many push ups more than the average guy or is it more due to my body weight (as I'm kinda muscular (but lean) at 195-200lbs I have to push a lot more weight, too of course).

What are your experiences? How much weight can u bench press and how many push-ups can you do?

Blackmm

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You were probably lighter in the 5th grade too. I can do about the same as you, but for a real challenge, try doing some dive bomber push ups.

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, that's true of course. Obviously somebody who does 30 push ups and weighs 60kg is a lot less strong (even when it comes to endurance) then somebody who does 30 push-ups at 90kg...however, I really just noticed how big the difference was, b/c on the bench I hardly know anybody who can press as much as me (however, I don't know any football players, weight lifters or bodybuilders ;-)), but the amount of push-ups I do, I'm sure a couple of my friends could do that, too (but then again, yeah they r lighter).

However, I think I'll add some push-ups to my routine, won't hurt me to work out my slow twitch fibers, too.

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
Yep...weight dictates the amount of pushups you do.

Personally, high reps of pushups mean nothing to me. If I can do beyond 50, I start slowing the movement to add resistance or change the position of my hands...

Pushups are VERY effective for supersetting tri's. Do a set of skullcrushers and follow it with pushep ups. You won't do many, but you'll work your tri's like you wouldn't believe.
If you really want to work your tri's with pus-ups you need a real close grip.
Sometimes reffered to as "diamond" or tricep push-ups.
Just put your index fingers together and your thumbs together to for a diamond (or a vag.)Go all the way down and go sloooow. KILLLLLS the tri's

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
madgame said:
However, I think I'll add some push-ups to my routine, won't hurt me to work out my slow twitch fibers, too.
don't forget the pinky twist curls!

GodsGiftToFatBirds

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think its the same with a lot of bodyweight exercises.

I remember when I was 14, I could do 18 chin ups (proper ones, arms fully straightened) but I don't think I could do any more than that now, even though I'm a lot stronger.