Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Being a handy man not as attractive anymore?

Greasy Pig

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting and timely for me as I feel I could be more handy.
I can change a tire, oil and very basic stuff, but what do you guys think are the bare basic "handy" skills a man should have?
And what bare basic tools should he own?

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
MOTU said:
Now, I also think that this has to fit your overall presentation of yourself...
That's probably my issue. I'm not rugged looking at all. I'm kind of nerdy and effeminate/metro looking. I don't LOOK like a handy guy at all, so women probably don't actually believe me when I've mentioned wiring, machining, working with tools, etc.

They believe the ballroom dance stuff because it fits my "an inch from gay" profile lol.

Fireballs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Greasy Pig said:
Interesting and timely for me as I feel I could be more handy.
I can change a tire, oil and very basic stuff, but what do you guys think are the bare basic "handy" skills a man should have?
Basically just any general home and car maintenance and the tools required as a bare minimum. E.g. You don't want to be paying a plumber $150 to change some tap washers etc.. I like a challenge and even if I've never done it before, I like to give it a go and it's the best way to learn and usually ends up ok lol.

I had to quickly learn how to plaster a wall when my labrador decided to chew/scratch a hole in the gyprock plasterboard!

You would be amazed at how many ''men'' don't know how to change a tire or change the oil. Not that there's anything wrong with that, maybe they didn't have anyone to teach them that stuff.

Next week I will be building a limestone retaining wall in my backyard. Have I ever done it before? Nope. But I am confident it will turn out fine.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mike32ct said:
That's probably my issue. I'm not rugged looking at all. I'm kind of nerdy and effeminate/metro looking. I don't LOOK like a handy guy at all, so women probably don't actually believe me when I've mentioned wiring, machining, working with tools, etc.

They believe the ballroom dance stuff because it fits my "an inch from gay" profile lol.
I can relate. I utilize modern hygiene technologies, wear modern clothes, and, "oops!" I must be into men. 'Cuz I've been shaving with a straight-edge and keeping the sun off my face via hat/glasses for years, I get carded for everything: I'm smooth like vector art. Couple the smoothness with a disinterest in garbage women and you get: "... he must be gay." Enough garbage women = consensus. Pretty bleak, considering the surplus of garbage around.

This, "gay" assumption, despite having a shop full of great fun like the torch kit, chainsaw, skinning gambrel, and air tools. I am proficient at every hunting method I apply myself to, attempt fix or make what I can, and I have come to find out that I spend TOO much time on my fingernails. What can I say? I wouldn't care to jam my grease-and-deer-fat packed nails inside a gal's vag... I don't want to be the one who unintentionally "puts it out of service" by giving her an infection!

I had to intentionally leave some good black gunk under a few nails to pick at when the convo dies. "Pardon my figitting... I must have gotten a hole in my glove." Then proceed to illustrate your valuable man-skills by describing where the black gunk came from if she takes the convo-bait. You almost have to smack them over the head with "handyman" anymore.

This thread has been skirting the issue without bringing it to the floor. In our time-short, tech-heavy, consumer-based lives, american society has come to substitute money for time. Whereas in the past, most folks had time to tinker/fix/build, now we buy whatever it is we need. We just don't have time to invest in getting dirty: and the clean-up is such a bother! Why would I get chicken spuzz on my hands [OMG! SALMONELLA!!! I better spray BLASTIT! 420x™ all over, then rinse, and repeat!] when I can just slap something into the microwave? No dishes, either! Nevermind the landfill element or nutritional value, that's for weirdo hippies.

As such, women have come to see "has a lot of money" as "good provider". A better provider anymore, it seems, (for the urban culture at least) is the beta bucks sort. And really, I guess that's fine. It leaves more critters in the woods for us alpha ƒuckos and property in the country stays affordable (supply:demand). But, and this is perhaps because I've had exposure to depression-era grandparents, it is beyond frustrating to have to sell "do it yourselfer". It used to sell itself. Women used to pine for ambition and talent, hell, you still see it on every online profile...

WANTED: TALL DARK HANDSOME TALENTED AMBITIOUS DAY TRADER TO FINANCE BON-BON AND SOAP OPERA ADDICTION. ;-D lol!
Welp... since we all know women don't know what the ƒuck half the sh!t that is parroted by their mouths even means, it's up to men to show, to demonstrate, to lead them to what they need. Just like a horse to water, except most won't drink. They can't: they've never had exposure to proficiency to be able to acknowledge it. Yes, it's pretty disappointing to have unrecognized value. Heck, I was convinced that I would be homesteading alone when I bought my kingdom. "Fück 'em. At least I'll be around like-minded people." Moving to rural Russia had even been considered as an option. Where do you go to find "traditional" women? Even "traditional" is argued, now.

Ever since T.V., media an marketing agendas have trumped logic [socially]. This is simply a manifestation, another "symptom" of the "sickness"; and explains (some of) the value of imported women to a DIY-guy. American women love consumerism: they don't have to bother learning to cook. So, us DJ's cook for ourselves and use those women as what they want to be good at: being barbie clone consumerista whºres.

:trouble:

Woe be it unto a guy that has ^^^ that convo with women. :rolleyes: You're bucking 4 prior T.V.-watching generations' worth of brainwashing and group-think. Just know what you want and pursue it -- just keep sifting through the overburden until you find the gems.

*sigh*

If you'll excuse me, I have to get up and get at it. The wood isn't going to pile itself, and the weather is mild today.
HTML:
play D:\audio\chairscoot.wav;  D:\audio\sawnoise.wav

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Greasy Pig said:

DON'T DO IT MAN!!!!

TOOLS ARE MAN-CRACK!

I've seen it too many times...

A guy gets some tools, enjoys using them, gets some more... and more... until there just isn't enough time to use them all and it destroys the guy's "life". They'll make crazy decisions that alter his whole lifestyle and ends up "doing stuff" all day.

And all the functional stuff cluttering up your junk storage area where your car should be?

Just say "no".

MtnMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
vulpine, I'm cutting and stacking firewood this weekend too. Got 4 more cords to get in before snow flies. :rockon:

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MtnMan said:
:rockon:

I just got a Stihl FG2 bench-mount sharpening jig from German E-bay. :whistle:
(discontinued in the States, too good: it wasn't made in China)

I've got a woods full of windfalls it seems I can't even put a dent in. Gotta get it off the ground before it rots...

Stay safe with that sh¡t, bro. I just had some fishing plans cancelled by a guy that broke the cardinal rule of country living: don't get hurt. ...ran his saw "just for second" without safety glasses. :nono:

Of course, that's when it happens... * DING! * Chunk of whatever kicked up and ƒuckered up his eye and he's out of commission. You only get one pair, take care of 'em.
:up:
*lacing up steel-toes*

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True that. I've been building a lumber rack all week and never once made a cut without my safety glasses on. As you say, it's that one cut that you deem insignificant that gets you.

Safety gear 100% of the time is an absolute must.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Greasy Pig said:
Youtube.

If you have that you can fix just about anything you will ever really need to.

It's how I learned.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread. My take is there is nothing more interesting, to men and women, than a guy who's fixing something or building something with his hands.

Try this, take your tools and build something in your front yard in public. Build a workbench for your garage, for example. Every guy walking by will stop and chat you up. Every woman's eyes will be on you as you work. Everyone will assume what you are doing is very important.

I work blue collar, with my hands. We worked a movie set where they were filming a movie with a famous actor. There were hot women everywhere, if you can imagine what a movie set is like. I thought for sure they would all have their noses up in the air, at the blue collar worker (me) wearing dirty jeans and a flannel shirt. I was surprised, the women were very very friendly to me, even though they were all dolled up and dressed to impress. I was very surprised and it turned out to be a fun day.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

TheBossman

Don Juan
Reaction score
When do you choose to help a girl then? Because there are plenty of them that would love to exploit your handy man skills and then leave you with nothing while she takes a round of c0cks from metrosexuals who have never held a hammer in their useless lives.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheBossman said:
When do you choose to help a girl then? Because there are plenty of them that would love to exploit your handy man skills and then leave you with nothing while she takes a round of c0cks from metrosexuals who have never held a hammer in their useless lives.
This. I'm a professional craftsman, and they are not impressed with your skills. They'll go after the metrofagsuals all day.

Road Warrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
I no longer tell any women that I know my way around working on cars until I know them for a while. In the past, I had too many get friendly just to get work done on their cars. My last ex gf would get an attitude whenever I would bring up working on cars or anything else. She had a check engine light on her van so I brought the code reader over. She immediately got an attitude when I showed her what the garage would charge $100 for and told her exactly what it would need. She then took it into the shop as the ex husband had to pay for it per divorce agreement. Turns out they replaced exactly what I told her would need to be replaced.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Vlad,
Nice to know this about you...I lectured in Building and Engineering at Degree level for 23 years since building my first home at 22 I have continually been a Builder...US Sheilahs must just be different?...Here.if you can get your tool Box through the Door,then if you play the Cards right,within three hours you will be slipping a length between their legs!

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Poonani Maker said:
I subscribe to this channel https://www.youtube.com/user/wranglerstar it's just real hard work.
I found that dude's channel, too, while looking up some homesteading stuff. Good stuff. His situation is A LOT like mine. What's nice is that he's well spoken, and he edits his videos with some pride, so you get something besides Billy Joe Ray Bob in his driveway "Dang ol' ... uh tell you what ...uh just smack smack smack and deyer you have 'er."

I wondered after watching a bunch of his videos, "Who he is on SS?"
;)

SeeThruIt

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm glad everyone is discussing this and contributing.

I'd like to add, yes be very cautious about telling a girl you're handy as some will most likely just use you to get jobs done cheaply or for free.

Also, noticed my friends who aren't handy and try to be "manly" by just eating a steak lol generally like to poke fun of me for working on my car or doing another diy, yet when they need something fixed I'm the first they'll call.

englishman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it depends on where you live. I've lived in the countryside and the city.
In the city I live in now working with your hands seems to be a big minus.
Being someone who wears a suit and works in an office seems to be a hit with the women.
I went speed dating about a year ago, and this fvcked up women asked to see my hands, when I asked her why she sang this little rhyme that went "well, ya gotta watch out for tha worker hands" because if you had worker hands you were scratched off her list.
Delusional old bag.

englishman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
VladPatton said:
This. I'm a professional craftsman, and they are not impressed with your skills. They'll go after the metrofagsuals all day.
Thats what I find too. Metrofag, who works in an office gets high points. Guy who uses his hands.... ewww couldn't you get a proper job.

Then again I'm not impressed by a lot of the women here either. I live in the kind of city where the women carry a little purse dog around in a bag, draw their eyelashes on really thin and have handbags that cost about a thousand dollars.

Personally I think it's fvcked up. I probably should move.

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Attempting to group ALL women together like this is dumb.

Of course some women are going to be more attracted to handy man types than others. Probably ones who have better heads on their shoulders too. Use this to your advantage. A chick who is extremely impressed with your skills is more worth your time than one who blows them off.

It also greatly depends on the situation. Tinkering on minor stuff in your garage probably doesn't dampen many panties. However pulling the cowling off a dead boat motor while you are getting tossed around in big seas, and using a fishing knife to pry the starter gear up to engage the flywheel just before you and your friends smash into the jagged rocks on shore, might get you some positive attention. (True story :))

Sure some guys throw money at their problems and that might be sexy to some women, but take away their wallets and those guys are helpless. Helpless is never sexy to anyone.