Beginners guide to becoming WEALTHY

BudBundi

Don Juan
Reaction score
Str8up, This was great advice six years ago, and I'm glad to see this thread is keeping current. I would like to know what you would recommend for those of us with no money. How can we become wealthy in this depression? The next two years (at least) are likely to only get worse. How can we make the most of this opportunity with so little capital and poor credit?

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BudBundi said:
Str8up, This was great advice six years ago, and I'm glad to see this thread is keeping current. I would like to know what you would recommend for those of us with no money. How can we become wealthy in this depression? The next two years (at least) are likely to only get worse. How can we make the most of this opportunity with so little capital and poor credit?
As I already stated, this advice in its basic form is as relevant today as it was in the past and will be in the future.

That said, you bring up a good point. Credit is now tighter and people generally have less money laying around than they did six years ago.

How can you become wealthy in today's economic climate?

That's a big question, and a tough one to answer when everything is so constrained. But look at it this way. Things WILL get better. They might get worse BEFORE they get better, but in 5, 10, or 15 years we will all look back on this and be better people for having experienced it.

So what can you do today with no credit and no money?

The simple answer is that you have to get more creative.

My suggestion would be to look around you. Although the economy as a whole is going into the toilet, that doesn't mean that certain businesses are not going to flourish.

I recently read an article on cobblers. You know, guys who repair shoes.

In my 37 years on this earth I have never had a pair of shoes repaired. I don't remember ever seeing a shoe repair shop, nor have I even MET someone who repairs shoes. But evidently, the few of them that do exist are doing a helluva business. For many people shoes have been a disposable item, but in today's tough economic times people are having their shoes repaired instead of replaced.

I suspect the same thing might be happening with car dealers vs. car mechanics. The biggest Chevy dealer in the world which was located about 20 minutes from me recently closed. Credit has dried up and people don't have the money to buy new cars anyway. Double whammy. But what does this mean? It means that some people might start to use public transportation a bit more, but with the sad state of mass transit in the US and the price of gas falling like a rock, I suspect people will simply choose to hold onto their old car and simply have it repaired. So I would bet that car mechanics aren't hurting too much these days.

There are certain businesses that actually benefit during tough financial times, and certain businesses that are virtually recession proof. I would be looking at getting involved with something that requires little capital and will fare well during this sh!t economy we are in.

As I said in my last post in this thread, I am actually doing just that. I spotted a need and found a recession proof business model that requires a very small investment to start.

Now I am way ahead of the game since I have over a decade of business/ creative real estate experience under my belt, but there is no reason that ANYONE can't get started today and be in a better position in a year or two. Cutting your teeth in a horrible economy will actually make you a better overall businessman/ investor. With the internet, cheap communication, etc. there is no reason why you can't find something to get you started.

evasive

Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone realize the advice that str8up gave in the first few pages of this thread are the cause of the subprime mortgage crisis?
Many USA mortgages issued in recent years are subprime, meaning that little or no downpayment was made, and that they were issued to households with low incomes and assets, and with troubled credit histories. And what was str8up telling people to do? Telling 21 year olds with $9000 in the bank that they should buy $100k-worth properties.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
evasive said:
Does anyone realize the advice that str8up gave in the first few pages of this thread are the cause of the subprime mortgage crisis?
Many USA mortgages issued in recent years are subprime, meaning that little or no downpayment was made, and that they were issued to households with low incomes and assets, and with troubled credit histories. And what was str8up telling people to do? Telling 21 year olds with $9000 in the bank that they should buy $100k-worth properties.
Get your facts straight son.

I advocated buying properties for little or no money down that SUPPORT their mortgage payment, taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc. with RENTAL INCOME.

Please, point out to me exactly how this has anything to do with the subprime mortgage crisis?

Did I advocate risky negative amortization or adjustable rate loans? No.

THAT (coupled with tumbling R/E values) is the reason we have a mortgage crisis.

Anyone who purchased property six, five, four, three, two, one year ago or TODAY according to what i posted about would be be fine today. The value, and especially the DOWN PAYMENT are inconsequential. All that matters is that the payment is made by someone other than YOU. This means that the rental property should lease for enough money to service ALL of the debt, taxes, and maintenance. If that is the case, the borrower has little incentive to default.

Lenders have tightened their belts due to SPECULATORS and homeowners who could not afford the loans they took out, NOT investors who did their homework and purchased properties that had the means to pay their bills.

Listen, you can try to poke holes in the theories behind this post all day long, but i was careful choosing my words and the advice is as applicable today (actually moreso since due to the depressed market you can buy PLENTY of R/E that will give positive cash flow) as it was back then, or 50 years ago.

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
str8up i just have a question. how much of an educational background do you have? Im getting ready to graduate high school and my life plan for getting wealthy for years has been spend lots of time in college-ie, getting an advanced degree and/or going to grad school. Im just curious how much education you yourself possess.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(JJ) said:
str8up i just have a question. how much of an educational background do you have? Im getting ready to graduate high school and my life plan for getting wealthy for years has been spend lots of time in college-ie, getting an advanced degree and/or going to grad school. Im just curious how much education you yourself possess.
I have a high school diploma and about a year's worth of honor level college courses.

Formal education is not my deal. I'm not saying that it isn'a valuable resource, but you have to take it for what it is, which is a means to earn a paycheck, which in and of itself will not make you wealthy.

Don't confuse a high income individual with a "wealthy" individual. It's great to make $250k a year, but of you spend $275k like most people would you aren't going anywhere.

Read Kiyosaki's materials. He explains the difference between your "job" and your "business".

When you understand the difference between the two, you are well on your way.

strong like bull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lets put it this way.

When I have followed the advice I laid out in this thread years ago, I made money. When I tried to speculate, I have made AND lost money.

One thing you have to understand is that if you are a true entrepreneur, there is no such thing as failure. No matter how bad things get, you will always have options.

I am all but out of real estate, and I am getting ready to possibly exit or scale down my retail operation. I have a great concept, but I'm not going to sit on it while the economy tanks for the next couple of years.

I am actually getting involved in a new business that has HUGE profit potential. I am producing informational DVD's and developing a line of "cosmetics". Not cosmetics per se, but I'm not going to go into detail for privacy reasons. Let's just say that I produce the product for $2-$2.50 and sell it for $16-$17. Lots of upside.....

Great post, BTW. Pretty much sums up the current bloodbath. Many, MANY millions will be made in the next ten years due to this recession (this is why the rich get richer....they are buying when nobody else has money). Money changes hands. Make sure it's coming INTO yours.

i think if this recession has shown anything, its as you pointed out, we found out the hard way what industries and business are truly recession PROOF.

i know carpenters and construction guys who were making big bucks but are now out of work or had to change fields. a diesel truck mechanic whos entire shop was laid off, except the owner who is now doing the majority of work himself. a good friend who worked for one of the top aftermarket wheel companies in the US - he was an operations manager making the big bucks... then the auto market tanked and it got so bad at the end that his options were either leave, or get demoted to working in the shop. he now works in another field.

heck, i have another friend who was trying to get onboard with the fire dept. as if it wasnt hard enough already to do that, he just found out that on top of freezing up the applications/new hires, they may even be cutting back on some departments! growing up were taught that working for the state or city is one of the most job secure positions you can have... and then a recession hits and even those jobs arent truly secure.

when times get tough, peoples priorities change. it becomes survival time. they now cannot justify spending an extra $2,000 for custom wheels. they decide to wait on having their house remodeled. they realize that spending $4 bucks a day for StarBucks adds up to over a $100 dollars a month, which might be better put towards putting food on the table or clothes on their childrens back.

people shift from focusing on the things they WANT to the things they NEED. the basic, important things both short term - food, place to live, good pay, decent clothes/cosmetics, reliable and practical transportation, etc... as well as the long term - visits to doctors and whatnot for health, planning for childrens college, personal retirement or other very important financial services, etc.

during these tough times, certain industries go on the backburner. but others dont. str8up i agree with you %100 - there ARE recession proof businesses out there. the goal would be as you said, to find and take advantage of the opportunity thats there. i myself am involved in the money business... and among other things, the baby boomer generation - which has shaped the world as it moved thru each generation of their lives - is now shifting to their retirement years. the stats are available online.. this is the greatest wealth transfer of all time. trillions of dollars will be changing hands over the next 10-15 years, and those who are in the field have an opportunity to help a lot of people move their money to the right places, and make a great living in the process. and trust me when i say that there is a GREAT DEMAND for trustworthy, hardworking people to help accomplish this.

in my eyes, a J-O-B offers the same kind of security as a maximum security prison. now more than ever, people really need to think, work and live for themselves. i grew up watching my parents work for others, always just making enough to get by. my dad, after 17 years with the lumber company, he was laid off. why? the company was downsizing 'cause of up and coming chains like home depot, lowes, menards. staying in the field, he had to take nearly %50 pay cut because the new thing was to hire young, inexperienced guys to work in these places. did my dad make a mistake by staying with the lumber company for 17 years? HIS dad, my grandpa, worked for that same company for 25 years after immigrating to the US. he worked there, made a good enough living to take care of his family, retired with his pension and was comfortable. my dad was just doing what he saw his dad do to take care of the family.

i would say that now more than ever before, it should be clear that if you want TRUE job security, you have to position yourself in a recession proof market where there is demand for your product/service, and BUILD a business. and i dont just mean self-employed, either - think of self-employed as employed all by your self. meaning if you get sick, or if you dont make a sale or have a rough day, you dont get paid. think BIG - building a business with many people working with you, and for you. making not just personal profits but OVERRIDING a team, an organization. a business that runs and makes YOU money not just while youre workin' it, but also while you eat. sleep. spend time with family. go on trips. do the things that make you exciting and satisfied with life.

i would encourage everyone to do as youre doing str8up. you have great business mindset, thinking outside the box. more and more people need to understand that instead of punching other peoples clocks, making other people rich while we slave away, we need to be working for OURSELVES. making our own money. taking our financial independence into our own hands.

that is the solution to all market conditions.

-SLB

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP said:
I have a high school diploma and about a year's worth of honor level college courses.

Formal education is not my deal. I'm not saying that it isn'a valuable resource, but you have to take it for what it is, which is a means to earn a paycheck, which in and of itself will not make you wealthy.

Don't confuse a high income individual with a "wealthy" individual. It's great to make $250k a year, but of you spend $275k like most people would you aren't going anywhere.

Read Kiyosaki's materials. He explains the difference between your "job" and your "business".

When you understand the difference between the two, you are well on your way.

fair enough. if i make 250k a year and spend 150k a year, then what happens? i have a positive income of 100k a year that just sits in the bank (or stocks or whatever other investments i've put it in) and makes me more money. i don't know about the idea that "most people spend 275k a year." my family makes about 150k total, and that supports us all quite comfortably. granted, we could be more comfortable, but we're a family of 5.

this response shows my argumentative nature. :) but i feel i have to ask some questions of you in order to prove your knowledge in my mind. i do plan on buying that book. but rather than get involved in turning around real estate (which in my limited knowledge means contracting out the work to fix up the properties, but i dont know. i dont have any knowledge of that) it seems like it would be more prestigious and i would feel better about myself in general for obtaining an md or that kind of thing. im having a real hard time keeping myself from asking you how much money you have or what your net worth is. just so ya know. :)

strong like bull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
it seems like it would be more prestigious and i would feel better about myself in general for obtaining an md or that kind of thing.

the buddy of mine, who in my above post is trying to get on with the fire dept is kind of the same way. he loves to go to school. he has this desire to one day have a wall of certifications and degrees... its something positive for him to focus on.

but at the same time, even though hes gone through schooling to become a fireman, they arent hiring right now. they might even be laying off firemen, which is a testament to how unsecure a j-o-b really is.

the big question becomes what can, or will someone do with those degrees and certifications? if theyre not put to use then its more of a hobby, than anything else, to acquire them.

definately read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Kiyosaki. as a young person coming up in the world, one of the most important things to understand is the difference between a "job/employee mindset" and a "business mindset." as pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, a lot of people spent a lot of time and money to go to school to get certified for a j-o-b only to get laid off when the markets tightened up. regardless of what field of work you are in, an employee will ultimately have NO guaranteed job security. ultimately you will always be punching someone elses clock and your future, family's well being will be in your bosses hands.

as if they were your daddy, you have to ask permission for time off for vacation, or time to spend with your family. if you were to start a family and maybe now needed to make more money, you have to ask. no matter what, they always have their thumb on you. indirectly, by how much they pay you, they will dictate what your childrens birthdays look like, christmases look like and even what your vacations and honeymoon looks like.

some people are okay with that - even if deep down they dont truly enjoy their job, or arent passionate about their job they are willing to trade time, energy and freedom in for security.

others are not okay with that. they want to control and shape their own futures. they channel drive, discipline and creativity into being their own boss.

either way is okay - its ultimately up to the person. theres nothing inherently wrong with having a job. especially if youre making 50, 60+ a year.

but in the end, a dollar is a dollar. no matter what you do to make it. real estate isnt the only avenue available for building wealth... but it makes a good example. out here in arizona, with the markets bottoming out, you could buy a house for 150k that down the road will sell for 250k. even if it took 5 years, because you had tenants paying your mortgage it didnt really cost you anything to have the house.

in that 5 years your property value increased 100,000. thats 20k a year, for doing very little "work" on your end. if someone was hustling like str8up was and had 5 houses going... 20k x 5 = 100k a year averaged out... not a bad living.

as an example thats the potential of real estate. and you dont need a degree or formal education to make that potential a reality. but how much schooling would you need to land a 100k/yr j-o-b? and how many hours a wk would you have to work in order for your boss to give you 100k/yr? owning property and having people living there, paying your mortgage for you while it increases in value every year... not to say you dont have to do much, but thats having other people make money for you. having your money work for YOU.

i know a top engineer who makes 100k+ a year.. he enjoys it but had to go through a LOT of formal education to get there. and he still knows he needs to be doing more, because he isnt "wealthy" by any means. and still has a boss to report to...

i also know a guy who barely made it through high school, yet has successfully owned several businesses. an auto business where he was earning 100K plus a year, a mortgage business him and his wife ran where they brought in 500K plus a year, and now also running a financial services business. needless to say, they are very happy to make their own schedules as they see fit. among other things...

the engineer isnt miserable.. but which would you rather have? there isnt a wrong or right answer. but the choice is up to you.

just some things to think about...

and stay argumentative. the ability to think for yourself and challenge existing structures, is what gets people ahead in life.

-SLB

(JJ)

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
strong like bull said:
it seems like it would be more prestigious and i would feel better about myself in general for obtaining an md or that kind of thing.

the buddy of mine, who in my above post is trying to get on with the fire dept is kind of the same way. he loves to go to school. he has this desire to one day have a wall of certifications and degrees... its something positive for him to focus on.

but at the same time, even though hes gone through schooling to become a fireman, they arent hiring right now. they might even be laying off firemen, which is a testament to how unsecure a j-o-b really is.

the big question becomes what can, or will someone do with those degrees and certifications? if theyre not put to use then its more of a hobby, than anything else, to acquire them.

definately read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Kiyosaki. as a young person coming up in the world, one of the most important things to understand is the difference between a "job/employee mindset" and a "business mindset." as pointed out in an earlier post in this thread, a lot of people spent a lot of time and money to go to school to get certified for a j-o-b only to get laid off when the markets tightened up. regardless of what field of work you are in, an employee will ultimately have NO guaranteed job security. ultimately you will always be punching someone elses clock and your future, family's well being will be in your bosses hands.

as if they were your daddy, you have to ask permission for time off for vacation, or time to spend with your family. if you were to start a family and maybe now needed to make more money, you have to ask. no matter what, they always have their thumb on you. indirectly, by how much they pay you, they will dictate what your childrens birthdays look like, christmases look like and even what your vacations and honeymoon looks like.

some people are okay with that - even if deep down they dont truly enjoy their job, or arent passionate about their job they are willing to trade time, energy and freedom in for security.

others are not okay with that. they want to control and shape their own futures. they channel drive, discipline and creativity into being their own boss.

either way is okay - its ultimately up to the person. theres nothing inherently wrong with having a job. especially if youre making 50, 60+ a year.

but in the end, a dollar is a dollar. no matter what you do to make it. real estate isnt the only avenue available for building wealth... but it makes a good example. out here in arizona, with the markets bottoming out, you could buy a house for 150k that down the road will sell for 250k. even if it took 5 years, because you had tenants paying your mortgage it didnt really cost you anything to have the house.

in that 5 years your property value increased 100,000. thats 20k a year, for doing very little "work" on your end. if someone was hustling like str8up was and had 5 houses going... 20k x 5 = 100k a year averaged out... not a bad living.

as an example thats the potential of real estate. and you dont need a degree or formal education to make that potential a reality. but how much schooling would you need to land a 100k/yr j-o-b? and how many hours a wk would you have to work in order for your boss to give you 100k/yr? owning property and having people living there, paying your mortgage for you while it increases in value every year... not to say you dont have to do much, but thats having other people make money for you. having your money work for YOU.

i know a top engineer who makes 100k+ a year.. he enjoys it but had to go through a LOT of formal education to get there. and he still knows he needs to be doing more, because he isnt "wealthy" by any means. and still has a boss to report to...

i also know a guy who barely made it through high school, yet has successfully owned several businesses. an auto business where he was earning 100K plus a year, a mortgage business him and his wife ran where they brought in 500K plus a year, and now also running a financial services business. needless to say, they are very happy to make their own schedules as they see fit. among other things...

the engineer isnt miserable.. but which would you rather have? there isnt a wrong or right answer. but the choice is up to you.

just some things to think about...

and stay argumentative. the ability to think for yourself and challenge existing structures, is what gets people ahead in life.

-SLB
this is insightful.

I like it.

My thought process, like i said, has always been medical school or something that falls under that umbrella (dentistry, optometry, etc). with something like this, as opposed to your engineer example, the potential for a private practice becomes much more realistic than an engineer trying to get his own engineering firm up and running.

thus, the "having someone else's thumb on you" problem is pretty much resolved. the other thing i think that is really helpful as far as getting an advanced education is the ease with which networking occurs in college. when i graduate, (from Texas AandM, a school with 40,000+ students) I will have effortlessly built up a ridiculously large network with people that feel a comradery (sp?) with me, merely because we will have a degree from the same school.

more argumentativity, but im just highlighting some of the points that i don't think have been given any attention.

the more we discuss, the more it kinda becomes apparent to me that there's more than one way to "skin a cat"

gösta berling

Don Juan
Reaction score
BudBundi said:
The next two years???:whistle:

The best thing that you can do right now is to educate yourself.
Let me introduce to you, Chris Martenson and his crash course.
http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

blueblue

Don Juan
Reaction score
re: (jj)

(JJ) said:
Be very wary about taking anyone’s advice of a forum. People may talk a good game, but you have no idea what education/experience one has. If I were str8, I’d stay out of the financial advice department and work on gaming that ever elusive chick that you never seem to get.

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted already (I don't care to read through however many pages) but you mentioned Ross Whitney.

I Googled the guy:

Ripoff Report: Russ Whitney Building Wealth

Yeah....awesome. :rolleyes: Not saying the rest of your post was bad info, but at least recommend someone creditable.

blueblue said:
Be very wary about taking anyone’s advice of a forum. People may talk a good game, but you have no idea what education/experience one has. If I were str8, I’d stay out of the financial advice department and work on gaming that ever elusive chick that you never seem to get.
x2. Always remember, there's no such thing as "quick money".

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oxide said:
my neighbors own 4-5 condos and make nice living on them.

they once told me a story about a guy who was 21 and needed a place to sleep, so he bought himself this 2 story building with a basement. He leased the top 2 stories to people and slept int he basement. Later he fixed it up, and sold it, buying another 2 places int he nieghborhood. After 5 years he had 4-5 places and bought a nice house for himself with all cash from condos.

so there is nothing that can stop you from getting money.

i myself dont really like real estate, but it seems likea good way to go for financial independence.

See, how the eff does he do that? I assume he had no money either, as he needed a place to sleep in the first place. So how does he just go about "buying himself" a 2 story building? I'll admit I have no clue on the subject.

Duffdog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jon55 said:
See, how the eff does he do that? I assume he had no money either, as he needed a place to sleep in the first place. So how does he just go about "buying himself" a 2 story building? I'll admit I have no clue on the subject.
Im glad that this post followed history, its easy for anyone to say "lets go make money with real estate using rental income" when the economy is good, now that it is bad, you can't.

All of that crap is overwith. Commercial building investment is overwith, home value speculation and real estate investment are all completely overwith. The loans that people took out in the early 2000's are gone, there is no way to "get into real estate" without having 10% of the cash upfront.

Also, you can forget about buying and leasing commercial buildings now. There is a 20% vacancy rate in my town and every other building you see is vacant. When the building is vacant, who pays the loan? Guess...

In the united states, we currently do not have enough people to occupy all the extra houses-- you read that right. If you took everyone who could possibly afford a house and told them that they could move in to a house today...you wouldn't have enough people in the entire united states to fill them. Real estate is done. It is no longer an investment vehicle of any type.

What we are experiencing is called deflation, where everything is cheap and nobody has any money. All of the self-help or get-rich-quick schemes that proliferated in the early 2000's are now completely irrelevant. Don't follow any of their advise as many of them are broke now. The problem with investing in real estate at this time is the time-horizon is undefined, meaning, you won't make any money until ?????? who knows when!

So now, where does that leave us? In a diminishing economy, the only people who can accrue wealth are those who can force others out of competition and collect an ever larger piece of the shrinking pie. If one wants to know how to do this, simply look at history-- read about Rockefeller and his efforts with horizontal integration. Wal-mart does this, look how successful they are in this era. It can't be just chance.

Dedication

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Duffdog said:
It can't be just chance.
Thats right. Nothing is chance, i'm glad you understand what things have a low potential. Lets focus on the bigger things and become rich, old man. Complaining won't get you anywhere. All that money has to go somewhere. And it better ends up in our hands :trouble:

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Duffdog said:
Im glad that this post followed history, its easy for anyone to say "lets go make money with real estate using rental income" when the economy is good, now that it is bad, you can't.

All of that crap is overwith. Commercial building investment is overwith, home value speculation and real estate investment are all completely overwith. The loans that people took out in the early 2000's are gone, there is no way to "get into real estate" without having 10% of the cash upfront.

Also, you can forget about buying and leasing commercial buildings now. There is a 20% vacancy rate in my town and every other building you see is vacant. When the building is vacant, who pays the loan? Guess...

In the united states, we currently do not have enough people to occupy all the extra houses-- you read that right. If you took everyone who could possibly afford a house and told them that they could move in to a house today...you wouldn't have enough people in the entire united states to fill them. Real estate is done. It is no longer an investment vehicle of any type.

What we are experiencing is called deflation, where everything is cheap and nobody has any money. All of the self-help or get-rich-quick schemes that proliferated in the early 2000's are now completely irrelevant. Don't follow any of their advise as many of them are broke now. The problem with investing in real estate at this time is the time-horizon is undefined, meaning, you won't make any money until ?????? who knows when!

So now, where does that leave us? In a diminishing economy, the only people who can accrue wealth are those who can force others out of competition and collect an ever larger piece of the shrinking pie. If one wants to know how to do this, simply look at history-- read about Rockefeller and his efforts with horizontal integration. Wal-mart does this, look how successful they are in this era. It can't be just chance.

Exactly. I'm sure real-estate could be very profitable....for those who have the money to gamble with in the first place. Everytime I hear about or read about the ways of making money, it always seems that one would need a foot-up or some kind of advantage (i.e.; already having some money to invest with). Moreover, it seems like the way to make money is always changing, and by the time you read up on something it's already way out of date.

Dedication

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jon55 said:
Exactly. I'm sure real-estate could be very profitable....for those who have the money to gamble with in the first place. Everytime I hear about or read about the ways of making money, it always seems that one would need a foot-up or some kind of advantage (i.e.; already having some money to invest with). Moreover, it seems like the way to make money is always changing, and by the time you read up on something it's already way out of date.
Maybe thats because people are reactively looking for ways to make money. Instead of pro active by doing the actual thing. Don't wait until somebody else has done it and published it. Yes then its to late and thats logic.

Jon55

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good forum like this one that is more centered around making money/assets? Think of this forum, but instead of a focus on getting girls/becoming a DJ, it's all about getting money.

Perhaps we should start a new Topic area?

In2theGame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP, pretty nice thread and i agree with you on many things here. I am working on building my net worth instead of focusing on working a job. To everyone here that is trying to create wealth, The very first important step in heading in that direction is thinking like a millionaire. The second step is to increase your financial education. Ive read Rich dad poor dad, the cashflow quadrant, Rich dad guide to investing and the millionaire next door. What the average and uneducated middle class fail to realize is that although the markets and economy in these times are in the sh*tter, To the educated and smart investor, This is the opportunity of a lifetime to produce mass amounts of wealth.

Lets take the stock market for example. Can you make money in the stock market right now? Absolutely, But how if everything looks so down? Well, thats where financial education comes in. The smart investor knows how to make money weather the market goes up or down. For example, if the market looks like its going to get pounded, You can short stocks on margain or you can play ETF shorts. Also commissions on brokerage accounts, The most well known are Scottrade, Etrade, Ameritrade..etc but i use SogoTrade, and its only $3 a trade commission. I was using Zecco and that charges $4.50 a trade, 10 Free trades a month if your working with $25K in equity.

As for Real Estate, boy is RE in the toilet right now but you know what? The Wealthy love it this way because all the idiots who thought "I have a good "J.O.B" I can afford this house" are getting shaken out and prices are so low its ridiculous. In these times is where the wealthy open up their check books and buy property at an extremely discounted price. They know that the economy will slowly but surely recover and when it does, they have already bought up some nice Real Estate and let it work for them.

Lastly, Networking with wealthy people. Everyday, More than likely we all interact with people who are in a Sh*t load of debt, who are employees and basically, are not wealthy because they have no clue about financial education. Ive met and spoken to people who have a net worth of over 4 million dollars and average 20K or more per month and the way these people think is unbelievable. If you went up to your parents or family member or even friends and told them "im working on increasing my net worth to 500K or produce profits of $15K per month" they will probably smile and say um Ok, good luck but someone who is wealthy will probably say "Thats good, How are you getting there? what are your methods?" and give you ideas and strategy's. these F**ckin people take money seriously and they know how to use it. all im saying is that there is a big difference in attitude and way of thinking when comparing the rich and the middle class.

Here are some good sites ive read up on that help with the mindset.

http://www.investmentu.com/index.php
http://www.universalwealthcreation.com/wealthcreation/
http://www.streetdirectory.com/trav...crets_of_self_made_millionaires_revealed.html
http://www.howwealthworks.com/

If you want to get into the market, here is a very good site as well:
http://www.hotstockmarket.com/

One final comment, All of us can achieve wealth and become financially free from working a job, its ALL in the education of how to get there. If you want to be a Doctor, a Lawyer, a Computer Engineer, a Architect, a Teacher... etc you have to educate yourself first right? Becoming a wealthy investor is no different.