Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Beef + veggies

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm always reading "beef + veggies" recommended to people on here. How do you guys cook your beef + veggies so it tastes decent and you can stand eating it so much? What kind of veggies do you use? I've been trying to eat more but they taste like paper to me.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
I'm always reading "beef + veggies" recommended to people on here. How do you guys cook your beef + veggies so it tastes decent and you can stand eating it so much? What kind of veggies do you use? I've been trying to eat more but they taste like paper to me.
Don't really eat a lot of beef or veges.... I'm more of a chicken guy. Lately been doing lotsa ribs too. For beef I think burgers work great. Veges in salads... chicken caesar is a favorite, as it has a minimal prep time. I usually go out buy the rotasserie chickens from the superstore... $7-8 for 3 high protein meals is highly cost effective w/ no prep time. I do more fruit than veges. Bison is a favorite as well, however, I'm not really sure how to prepare bison steak properly. Plus it can be hard to get a hold of at times.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I was thinking more along the lines of ground beef, because it is easy to consume large amounts of it and it's cheap. I have a hard time eating much chicken because it fills me up very quickly.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll buy chuck steaks or some kind of roast because it's the cheapest. Cut it up into bite size pieces, cut off as much fat as possible. Then cut up onion, garlic, mushrooms and green/red peppers. Take the veggies, throw them in a pot and let them cook for a while. I'll add a bunch of salt/pepper/paprika, then when the veggies have been cooked a little I'll add the meat. Add some more salt/pepper/paprika and cook until it's done. Sometimes I'll drain the juices from the meat but sometimes I'll just eat it like a soup. And it is delicious. And really simple.

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fry your "ground beef"/"mince", rinse and drain the fat off. Get frying up loads of onions, peppers, tinned chopped tomatoes, chopped carrots (add garlic if you want. . .) at the same time that your beef is frying.

Add it all together, add some bolognese sauce....etc. And you're done. Since it's "beef and veggies", I guess you won't be adding spaghetti but if you are eating carbs, feel free.

or make chilli, adding kidney beans and bolognese sauce instead..

I know this involves sauces, but who can honestly eat minced beef plain over the long term? :)

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my starting point is:

brown ground beef in cast iron skillet, with a bit of salt, and garlic or onion (powder if none fresh available).

put 2 Tbsp of butter, olive oil or whatever else you have in the bottom of a 2+ quart saucepan. crank the heat to high. drop in as much of a bag of frozen veggies as you can fit, break 'em up as much as possible (veggies stuck together take much longer to thaw), add a bit of salt, drop on the lid. let 'em steam, still on high, the fat on the bottom will keep it from burning. stir with a spoon after five minutes, replace the lid. the melting ice will steam the veggies nicely, just keep an eye on things the first few times you do this.

when the beef is sufficiently brown and veggies sufficiently hot, use a slotted spoon to drop veggies onto beef into a bowl, add black pepper (freshly ground if you can), taste to see if it needs a bit more salt. add any sauces or oils you like (i'm partial to a bit of sesame oil). you're done.

all those words make it sound hard. it's easier than pb&j and not much more cleanup. you can make it a bit more complicated and interesting by adding beans and/or a starch, if you're not avoiding carbs.

my default veggies for this are any sort of bagged mixed veggies. if you're using fresh, you'll have to adjust the cooking technique--with frozen, the directions usually call to add water, but this just leaches away nutrition. there's plenty of water in the bag itself, you just have to keep the veggies from burning while the ice melts, which is what the fat in the bottom of the pan is for.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cheap as hell, btw. around here I can get ground beef ~$2.50/lb. or better in bulk and frozen store-brand mixed veggies for <$1/lb. unless it's a fancy mix. Dried beans and rice are even cheaper, but these require a bit more patience, time and technique to turn out edible.

bukowski_merit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I let the winter be my offseason for eating well.... but during the spring/summer - i eat TONS of the following and rarely get tired of it (it's pretty much dry chilli)...

2 lbs of ground hamburger
2 cans of red kidney beans
3 freshly chopped tomatoes
1 freshly chopped onion
2 freshly chopped Green Peppers
Random spices :up:

- Brown the Hamburger and remove from heat (empty the grease but don't clean the pan; use the same one to...)
- Heat the onions and gree peppers on medium high for 5-10 minutes (until the get tender)
- Drain the cans of Kidney Beans and empty them into the pan with the veggies and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. (you can spice it up here)
- Throw in the hamburger and tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes (if you liked the tomatoes well cooked - throw them in with the kidney beans instead).

That's it... Not bad with a little ketchup on top either...

Makes about 4-5 full meals... 2500 calories worth... cost about $12

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have my girlfriend put a roast in a crock pot slow cooker over the weekend, usually with a powdered soup mix. Then it sits in the fridge all week, and I just cut off a piece to mix in with whatever I am eating.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
For ground beef I would recommend getting a packet of sloppy joe mix and following the directions on that…also try a packet of taco seasoning and follow the directions on that also…pretty tasty….there is probably a box of hamburger helper you might enjoy

Have you ever tried ground chicken? Just plop it in the frying pan without any oil…add salt and pepper and it is amazing….can eat tons of it…molding it into burgers is also good you can make ¾ lb burgers and put them down not feeling like you ate anything…also if you do a packet of taco seasoning/sloppy joe you can have some most excellent tacos/joes

As for veggies I prefer spinach…doesn’t taste like much…take a walk down the frozen veggie section and find one that has spices added into it or whatever catches your eye…there are some good green giant spiced ones

SBW

Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
brown ground beef in cast iron skillet, with a bit of salt, and garlic or onion (powder if none fresh available).
This - Whatever you do with mince/ground beef, always ensure you brown it properly first.

This lets you skim-off any excess fat and helps it keep texture and flavour during further cooking.

You also get some stuff called "gravy salt," a small amount of which which helps the browning process no-end.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I eat rare steaks and raw greens, mostly green beans. The only thing I may cook is broccoli. Not a huge fan of potatoes; they just fill me up. I prefer beef over chicken, but I eat quite a bit of that as well. ALWAYS cook your chicken. Steaks can be eaten with just a quick sear on each side. I also put raw eggs in my protein shakes.