Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Barrera vs. Marquez Tonight - Live from Las Vegas

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright guys, I am sitting here in my room at the Mandalay Bay, just hours before going to see Marco Antonio Barrera take on Juan Manuel Marquez tonight.

There are tons of people downstairs at the sports book watching the NCAA, and gambling.

This is a must watch fight for every boxing fan, and sports fan. The betting odds have this one just about even, a pick 'em, with Barrera slightly favored.

For my money, I will go with Marquez, the underrated fighter who was ducked by most fighters a few years ago and has more in the tank than his Mexican country man Barrera. Barrera is my all time favorite fighter, but I gotta go with Marquez on this one.

CLOONEY, who are you picking on this one?

MrS

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great fight, I had it 115-113 for JMM when I was watching it.

MAB sure didn't look as shot as Morales.

JMM vs Pacman should be even more interesting now.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I didnt watch it, I look forward to the replay. By all accounts it sounds like Marquez won a close, but clear decision, which cant be considered an upset to real boxing fans.

I also hear the two televised fights perceding it were terribly judged. D Hopkins got a gift based on his last name, DeLeon barely scraped by his opponent, but won by a ridiculous margin.

I also hear HBO announce team were practically jerking off to Barrera, much the same way they blatantly favour Oscar. Its pathetic really.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hear barrera put JMM on the deck. ive never been a big barrera fan. I always liked morales better and thought he won most of those fights they had.

i am surprised barrera did well tho. I figured he was shot after his lackluster performances and gift against rocky juarez.

Right now pac is the king. But watch out for edwin valero from venezuela!

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, what's going on guys!

Just got back from Las Vegas a few hours ago, and quicky went to my friend's house to pick up a copy of the ppv card.

Marquez took the fight to Barrera and beat him, fair and square. It looked a lot more dominant win seeing it live than it did on tv.

That has to do with the fact that the HBO announcing team was in fact "jerking off" to Barrera during the whole fight. Concentrating on everything he was doing, and ignoring the constant pressure Marquez was applying in trying to get Barrera to fight.

Was really looking forward to hearing Emmanuel Sterward's commentary,as I respect his knowledge of the sport and his commentary, yet he was one of the biggest cheerleaders, except during the middle and end when it was obvious Marquez was putting some serious hurt on Barrera.

Jim Lampley was using his overly dramatic/loud voice during every punch Barrera landed. So the HBO viewers might have been misled by it. I am glad some people were able to see past this and recongnize Marquez' hard fought and earned victory.

Overall, Barrera did fight a good fight, but just like he's done during the last few years, he picked and choose his shots, and was economical, and only fought when Marquez forced him. Barrera's best shots where when he was counter punching Marquez' attack. A strategy most expected Marquez to employ, because he's one of the best at counter punching. Barrera had promised to come out and seek a toe to toe type of encounter, but it was the usually hesitant Marquez who initiated most of the exchanges and attacks for this bout.

Marquez was pounding Barrera in round 7, had him wobbled, hurt, and reeling throught the round, until he walked into a right hand counter that dropped him to his knees. The ref missed the shot, so didn't rule it a knockdown. Barrera clearly fouled Marquez with a shot while on his fours. Props to Barrera for his heroic knockdown, yet, in all honesty he was beaten up the entire round, which was Marquez' best of the fight.

Marquez closed the show hard, with a solid 3 rounds to end it. The HBO telecast made me realize it was closer than hoe the judges had it, or how it looked live in the arena, and made me appreciate some of Barrera's work, yet didn't change my opinion of who the clear winner was.

Everyone watch the HBO replay next weekend. Great fight between two top fighters.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
I didnt watch it, I look forward to the replay. By all accounts it sounds like Marquez won a close, but clear decision, which cant be considered an upset to real boxing fans.

I also hear the two televised fights perceding it were terribly judged. D Hopkins got a gift based on his last name, DeLeon barely scraped by his opponent, but won by a ridiculous margin.

I also hear HBO announce team were practically jerking off to Barrera, much the same way they blatantly favour Oscar. Its pathetic really.
Yes, the judging was horrible during the undercard. Demitrious Hopkins got a gift decision against Steve Forbes, the crowd did not like that at all. It helps when your uncle is the promoter of the event.

Ponce Deleon looked very amateurish and vulnerable and was taken to school by Gerry Penalosa in a very badly judged fight.

The main even might have been judged one sided, yet it was the only fight in which the judges picked the right winner. HBO did not complain much about the undercard, where the wrong fighters were awarded the decision, yet *****ed about how the main event was scored, even though very few dispute the result. Go figure.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I had Marquez in this one, just thought he is a great fighter, and Marco is past his best days I beleive.

Where do you think Marquez goes from here?

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gangster of love, your recap sounds spot on, it seems you're one of the few real boxing fans who looks past HBO favouritism and big name fighters, and objectively watches fights. Lampley is known to get 'teary-eyed' when talking of his favourite fighters like Vargas, Oscar, and Barrera. He's way too emotionally involved for a play-by-play guy.

I hear GBP is just as corrupt as Don King, but of course Oscar is God in boxing shoes who can do no wrong according to the press and HBO. Its funny how Oscar demands an investigation "for the good of boxing" after losing fairly to Mosley, but conveniently keeps his mouth shut after disputed wins vs Sturm, Quartey and Whitaker, and makes no mention of the horrendous judging on his own card.

JMM vs Pac rematch? In the first fight, I thought Marquez dominated after the first round and won a close decision.

I'd favour Pac slightly in the rematch, he looked amazing vs Morales, and hopefully learned his lesson in the first fight, way too many 1-2 combos and sloppy agression. He's not 'polished', but I can see him scoring a late-round TKO through constant pressure.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gangster is a big boxing fan, especially of the little guys (and moreso of the Mexicans I beleive)?

Marquez is the best at 130 I beleive, I also had him beating Pac after a horrible first round. Though Pac has probably improved a bit from his one dimensional self at the time he fought JMM.

I would also like to see a rematch V Chris John (I missed this fight, Gangsta who did you have winning this one)? I heard it was a robbery, but as of yet, I have not seen it.

Damn lucky to live in LA, so close to Vegas!

DHOP was never going to be anything anyways, and finally a slick fighter like Forbes has exposed him. Damn the welter division is deep at the moment, cant wait to see how it unfolds. With guys like Cotto, Williams, Margarito, Judah, Mosley, Hatton (though not sure he could handle 147 with his style, and he may not even get past Castillo), Floyd (perhaps, as I think his "retirement" is as bullsh*t as 99% of "retirements" in boxing), or even DLH (though no doubt these guys would have to fight DLH at 154). Still, makes for a golden era in the welter division, the new crop of fighters coming up against the seasoned veterans.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jim Lampley and Emmanuel Steward need to put on the cheerleading outfits and jump and dance ringside for their favorite fighters.