Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Barney Stinson

TDH

Don Juan
Reaction score
Barney Stinson is my favorite ladies man on tv I love his philosophy. Do you think you can learn from him or its all tv bs

alpha_ash

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Aside from the fact that he is gay in real life, the character he plays is spot on! Girls always say they don't like him but end up sleeping with him anyway!

TDH

Don Juan
Reaction score
I never say he's gay in real life (even though he is) it takes away from the character

omega05

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i always do think of this site whenever i watch him on the show. Do people on here take any cues from him?

TDH

Don Juan
Reaction score
Idk he definitely does a lot of approaches though

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that there is a lot of truth the writers behind the show put into the series. Perhaps Barnie's character is based on a real person, who knows....it definitely strikes a cord with sosuave crowd.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Uuuh, it's a TV sitcom...no.

ScottMustaine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He got one formula that's right.

The more girl is beautiful, the more likely she's crazy.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i love nph i think he is a good actor.

but as someone to look at if your in pick up. maybe not. he is going to be conditioned for the masses.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Barney impersonates a living cliché, probably coming directly from THIS website.
You can't really "learn" from him, because he's not a real/believable character. But he does have some nice quotes, like "If I'm sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead" :D

However I really enjoy him! I always hate episodes of Ted or Marshal, but Barney is frickin awseome!

TDH

Don Juan
Reaction score
His character is legend wait for it dary but your probably right he might not be the best way to learn lol

Kenny Powers

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
nph is awesome and so is barney. Def a decent guy to use as a role model because of his swag, style, confidence, cold approaching, use of humor, and general view of women. One thing i dont like though is how the show often works under the assumption that the girls always want a relationship, which as we know is bs. Also his success rate is ridiculous.

His general approach to life - i.e. have as much fun as possible and be awesome - is a great model. I don't think his suits are that stylish though - too business like.

ka_mate

Don Juan
Reaction score
TDH said:
I never say he's gay in real life (even though he is) it takes away from the character
Tell me more about this perspective.

Having watched a few series of How I Met Your Mother I sometimes can't help to feel that the entire show is a satire.

For example, in one episode Robin is shooting cans on the roof with a gun she owns and the general sense from the native Americans is

"These Canadians are so silly and dangerous with their guns"

Let me get this straight, Americans are saying that Canadians have an obsession with guns and that they are dangerous.

When America has a National Rifle Association with 4 million people, an amendment in its constitution regarding the right to bear arms, approximately 300 million guns in the country (almost one per person) and has been the home of many mass killings and shootings in the last twenty years (Sandy Hook, Batman Cinema, Columbine).

Then we've got the character of Barney.

In the show, as you know, sleeps with hundreds of women and is constantly chasing s3xy women. He is literally the stereotype and extreme example of a heterosexual player.

Yet, in real life Neil Patrick Harris is gay. I found this to be one of the funniest things. His character is an overexaggeration of the male "classy player type" yet as a gay man is probably hated by definition by homophobic players.

Furthermore, his trademark is to wear suits and to stand out by wearing suits.

What is seen as the most bland, generic item of clothing used to describe men who are cookie-cutter businessmen?

Suits. The suit is the uniform of the corporate world.

Yet he is trying to stand out by wearing by a garment which is seen as an item of clothing worn by boring and unsympathetic businessmen.

I find this incredibly ironic.

It's always important to keep in mind that Barney is a character, a representation of a man and not a real, living man.

There are certainly positive aspects of his character to observe

- nonchalant attitude towards being rejected (it doesn't bother him)
- he has fun with it and enjoys the process

There are also negatives

- inauthenticity
- reliance on "playbook moves"
- reliance on lies, exaggerations
- ultimately, if you want a relationship with a girl she's going to realise you don't "work for the peace corps" "are an astronaut" or "pitch for the new york yankees".

Personally, I would never want to be Barney although there are aspects of his personality which would help with women. I value authenticity and this is in almost complete contradiction with is character

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ted is the biggest fvcking beta currently on television.

That is all.

RedZone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're going to learn from any character on TV let it be Don Draper.