Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

At what ages does living at home becoming AFC?

I'm Charming

Don Juan
Reaction score
Me and my friend who are both fairly well involved in the seduction community were talking about what age you should be before you up and leave home, I say that a dude should be getting away from home before he hits 20-21 and my friend disagrees because he thinks that it will be more comfortable to live at home than in some poky little flat and that it's acceptable to be living at home well into your twenties.

Sosuave, I do not agree, I think that the moment a dude is hitting his 20's he should be considering moving out because he will be becoming to lazy relying on this parental comfort blanket and becoming needy because he is not supporting himself like a real man would.

My friend has just hit 20 - still living at home, I am 17 - gathering money to move out next year.

So the question is, what age does living at home start to become lazy, needy and slightly AFC?

Before we get any replies I'd like to say that I consider that any Luke Skywalker input into this thread as void - as I'm sure would my friend.

chinwaggler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol. I think, if you have a job, and are able to support yourself, you should be supporting yourself. If you are studying, (which I will be until I'm 23 maybe) then you cannot possibly afford your own place (outside of term) so...

Nygard

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Look, I work on university. I also work independent. and I'm a freelancer in programming and I also teach sometimes, and the money I earn is not even enough for renting a filthy cell on the a neighborhood in this city where they find 5 corpses during the morning ,5 more during the afternoon and the walls reek of crack and rum.
Me? I'll stay as home as long as I please, but i'm sure you get why.

Rex Man

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on the situation. Although I think most would agree that you should be out sometime before you're 25 for men and maybe slightly older for women.

tsmith2334

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In this economy, living at home is becoming more and more common. It's even a trend amongst our generation. I would say at 24 is starts to look bad, and every year it gets exponentially worse.

jclubzzt

Reaction score
I moved out at 18 when I started college, but that's not what many people do. With the current price of living, starting out on your own can be hard, so if you aren't heading to college, moving out could be a few years later. It's not a bad thing, but personally I'd try to be out by 22-23 which is would give you plenty of work experience or you may be graduated from college. It differs from person to person but living on your own has its own pros and cons we must each weigh out. In any case, like I said, 22-23 would be what I would assume the threshold.

DJVladdy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Demographics are changing so...

60 is the new 40 - and 30 is the new 20 then.

so until 30 i would say.

hondo928

Don Juan
Reaction score
23 is way too old to be living with mom and paps, unless you have the fortunate situation of a seperate house, like a guest house

Zerotwoonenine

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
20 latest

JDA70

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
become lazy, needy and slightly AFC?
It matters how much you makeand what your doing with it.
slightly AFC?
I don't see how this has anything to do with being
an average frustrated chump with women.
WHat about a person that is on disability but doesn't
get enough money to live on thier own?

Why in America is there this attitude that if
you ain't out by 25 or so your a loser?

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JDA70 said:
It matters how much you makeand what your doing with it.

I don't see how this has anything to do with being
an average frustrated chump with women.
WHat about a person that is on disability but doesn't
get enough money to live on thier own?

Why in America is there this attitude that if
you ain't out by 25 or so your a loser?
Has to do with "The American Dream"

the prevailing thought in America (and to some degree Canada) is that all you need to suceed is motivation and a dream. This is a silly notion as you need a hell of alot more than that to succeed.

as fasr as OP. I'm 21 turning 22 in Jan, i live with my parents cuz i'm in college and me and my parents get along well. i do wish i had a place of my own but for now it's not possible.

In fact, i figured out the best of both worlds, instead of dropping god knows how much on a condo or house, i've got plans to build my own apartment on TOP of my parent's house :p completely seperate, customized to my preferences, yet still familial.

Though yes, once you hit 23-26 it starts to get a little more pathetic. There are exceptions like anything however.

guywhoneedshelp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live on Long Island, everything is higest priced in the country here. Everyone in their 20's is living with their parents...i'm serious.

Faded Image

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Three years old. Just ask my son, he thinks he's capable of running a household.

Seriously, anything over 21 because that's the age you can do anything you want except get in over 25 clubs and have lower car insurance.

02hero

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It doesn't matter, do what you gotta do. Everyones situation is different. It's only AFC to care about what others think of your living situation....

DonutMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
There's not a golden age, it's a combination of what you're doing with your life, what resources you have available, and your relationship with your parents that help you decide.

If you are out of high school working full time and living with the parents you should be helping them with the bills, with the exception of those who work and go to school while living at home.

If you cannot afford to live on your own and not be in poverty and your parents agree that it is alright for you to stay with them, then do it. Save your money and invest in your future.

If your parents don't allow you to be an adult, you are living with them and older then 22 then get out as soon as possible. Allowing you to be an adult does not include running all over your parents and having people over at all hours of the night, or doing things that would make your parents uncomfortable.

Respect your parents and if someone asks why you live with them or picks on you about it, just tell them it's because you want to save money for your future and you don't mind living with your parents. Don't lie if you really don't like living with them, but once you get older then 20/21 you should really be maturing enough that you should be able to get along with them while living at home still (unless they are crazy).

I moved out when I was 23, but I was going to college from 18 - 22 yrs. When I graduated I moved back in for 6 months while working full time, then got my own place.

Don't move out of your parents house if you're gonna have to live in squalor. Try to move out before 25 though. IF you stay at home learn how to get along with your parents, in the long run you will be glad you did. It will make you a better person.

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are crazy. The standard age for college graduation is 21 or 22, and then you're loaded with debt / college loans, it's standard to live with the parents while paying it off, and saving for your own place. I see no problem with staying at home until 26ish. If you go straight through for an advanced degree, it'll take even longer to get yourself set.

That being said...not many people want to live with their parents while in their 20's. Most people just take their sweet time paying off loans. I live in kind of a "yuppy" part of the city and everyone here is 20-30 years old and trying to balance career ambition with college lifestyle withdrawal.

DonutMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Effington said:
You guys are crazy. The standard age for college graduation is 21 or 22, and then you're loaded with debt / college loans, it's standard to live with the parents while paying it off, and saving for your own place. I see no problem with staying at home until 26ish. If you go straight through for an advanced degree, it'll take even longer to get yourself set.

That being said...not many people want to live with their parents while in their 20's. Most people just take their sweet time paying off loans. I live in kind of a "yuppy" part of the city and everyone here is 20-30 years old and trying to balance career ambition with college lifestyle withdrawal.
Yes, it's a situational issue. If you are not going to school and living with your parents, you better be working and helping pay the bills or moving out. If you are pursuing a grad. education that is totally different, most students only live at home for 2 or 3 months of the year anyways. Living with your parents is fine as long as you are working on improving your life, an eventual result of that improvement will be leaving the parents home and making your own.

Don't let people give you **** for living at home if you have a good reason for doing it.

In2theGame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it really depends on where you live. alot of people stay with their parents until 20 - 28 now a days and with the economy so F**ed up, its tough. Back to my point of depending where you live, Where i live (NYC) is TOUGH! im talkin $1800 - $2200 a month for a 1 bedroom and if your looking for $500 - $1000, you MIGHT get lucky and see a place out in Brooklyn in a decent area, if not... your heading towards the bad areas and you dont really want that. I love New York and i grew up here all my life but sometimes i think about the prices and costs to live here, its F**king outrageous. Seriously, to live comfy in this city you need to be making atleast 80K and thats considered OK here.