Article: Is Fructose All to Blame for Obesity?

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score

All sugars are capable of enhancing fat storage in the body. Often those of us into a fitness lifestyle choose to eat fruit a lot to staunch sugar cravings: Do not fool yourself into thinking that you can eat tons of fruit and not see the effects noted in the article.

40,000 years ago humans coming across fruit in late summer and fall enhanced survival helping them deposit fats for winter. Now we do not need that adaptation and it works against us all year long.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fructose is broken down by the liver. If you get too much fructose at once, the excess gets deposited as fat inside your live. Over time this will lead to fatty liver disease and obesity does correlate directly with that. So yes.

Sucrose (aka table sugar) is half glucose and half fructose. Your best bet is just to avoid sugar where possible so that you're not overdosing on sugar at any given time.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All sugars are capable of enhancing fat storage in the body. Often those of us into a fitness lifestyle choose to eat fruit a lot to staunch sugar cravings: Do not fool yourself into thinking that you can eat tons of fruit and not see the effects noted in the article.
Not accurate. You are not going to get T2D / metabolic disease eating fruit. There is too much fiber and water. You’d have to consume so much to the point that it is impractical. Fruit =/= high fructose corn syrup. Not the same!

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Not accurate. You are not going to get T2D / metabolic disease eating fruit. There is too much fiber and water. You’d have to consume so much to the point that it is impractical. Fruit =/= high fructose corn syrup. Not the same!
Read the research. For crying out loud HFCS is why most of the population is obese.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Read the research. For crying out loud HFCS is why most of the population is obese.
HFCS, Trans fats, processed garbage, etc...

It all works together.

At the end of the day if people stuck to eating one ingredient foods 90% of the time and not drinking sugary drinks they would have 0 issues.

Nitrozv20

Don Juan
Reaction score
over consumption of calories per day, lack of physical activity, and un used energy is what contributes to obesity.

Manure Spherian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree. However, the comment referenced implies this is an issue with fruit. Fruit is not causing obesity.
Right. I eat fruit daily and I ate three to four servings per day in the preparation for getting in the condition in my photo here, including dried fruit.