Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Article: How Does Snoring Affect Cardiovascular Health?

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
I cannot overstate the importance of snorers reading this:

Snoring>apnea>afib>left ventricular failure = congestive heart failure

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But how do we prevent snoring in the first place?

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
First off talk to your GP, they will probably order a sleep study. You may end up wearing a CPAP or receive training on how to reduce snoring with a special pillow or positioning. It’s a non silent killer.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First off talk to your GP, they will probably order a sleep study. You may end up wearing a CPAP or receive training on how to reduce snoring with a special pillow or positioning. It’s a non silent killer.
Already done, I have mild obstructive sleep apnea and a CPAP. CPAP masks are uncomfortable AF to wear though, I can't get my self to wear the thing. I'm a side/stomach sleeper so there's only so much luck for me here - unless you know something I don't.

A big cause of snoring is being overweight/obese, but especially having a heavy or fat neck.
Last I checked, 17" neck and nearing 10% BF but there's only so much I can do there lol.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Well it takes most people a year to get used to a cpap, you train yourself. If you have the diagnosis tell your doc to prescribe you a machine. Even if you wear it one hour a night, it’ll progressively get easier to wear.

If you do have OSA you must try or you’re shortening your life span.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Already done, I have mild obstructive sleep apnea and a CPAP. CPAP masks are uncomfortable AF to wear though, I can't get my self to wear the thing. I'm a side/stomach sleeper so there's only so much luck for me here - unless you know something I don't.

Last I checked, 17" neck and nearing 10% BF but there's only so much I can do there lol.
Could you possibly invest in a bed that you can adjust, like where the head can be elevated? This is a big reason why I would NOT encourage someone to get into heavily training their neck. BTW, tons of athletes in strongman competitions have this issue, mostly it being because they are legitimately overweight and even obese in some cases.

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@Money & Muscle and @Pierce Manhammer

How would someone know if they even have this issue if they live by themselves? I'm pretty sure I don't snore but there have been a couple times I've woken up doing it because my head was in some really weird position that caused it, if I remember correctly it had something to do with the position of my pillow. I'm positive I don't have this issue because aside from these couple instances I've never woken up snoring.

Money & Muscle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Could you possibly invest in a bed that you can adjust, like where the head can be elevated?
I could, but it wouldn't work with my 8 Sleep cover.

I would NOT encourage someone to get into heavily training their neck. BTW, tons of athletes in strongman competitions have this issue, mostly it being because they are legitimately overweight and even obese in some cases.
I don't do any direct neck training - never have and never will. It's just a byproduct of having a good bit of muscle.

RE obesity... my BMI is 30.3 making me literally obese... with a 6-pack. RIP
I'm leaning out to hit roughly 190 or so - something in the 6% bodyfat range. That might help a bit; I know the 10lbs or so I've leaned out already have helped.

How would someone know if they even have this issue if they live by themselves?
Looking up the general symptoms of OSA and seeing if they apply to you - then going in for a sleep test.
Or set up a video to record yourself sleeping. Still, it could be hard to tell if you have OSA even with a video.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't snore but I do have whole conversations with myself in my sleep, not sure if that's better or worse

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
I'm unfortunate in that the width of my esophagus is very narrow for the size of my neck....my doctor literally told me the one time "you have sleep apnea, I want you to go get a sleep study" when he was looking down my throat for a routine visit.

And he then asked me if I snores or felt tired a lot even after sleeping. And I said I dunno about snoring but yeah, I am tired a lot even after sleeping...

Got tested and I was in the "severe" category with something like 35x an hour I was stopping breathing and waking up. They said they have people who are like a hundred so it's not the worst they ever saw but it was still considered very bad.

However I had an additional issue because once the CPAP pressure got too high I started having Central Apnea, which is basically your brain telling your body not to breathe...so then I had to use a BiPap and now I only have 1.5-2.5 episodes per hour on an automatic pressure setting.

Have an app that I can monitor everything on and it collects all the data every night.

Won't sleep without it, ever, I feel so much better using it.

Sucks because even tho I am in great shape I still will always have to use it due to physical issues of having an esophagus that is too narrow, which means it's not weight related like most people...

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it a marker or a maker? Sounds very much like the former. Associated with CVD, but almost certainly not causal.
I think its definitely a bit of both. Having many episodes of literally not breathing while you are sleeping has to have very unique ramifications towards your health compared to just being obese, having high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, etc. I'm not very well educated on sleep related issues so I can't say for certain. Either way, I'd take it as a sign that you need to lose weight for sure.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Is it a marker or a maker? Sounds very much like the former. Associated with CVD, but almost certainly not causal.
It is a leading factor to CHF and CVD.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
How could not getting enough oxygen and having your O2 levels drop into the 60s or 70s NOT be Causal?

sangheilios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How could not getting enough oxygen and having your O2 levels drop into the 60s or 70s NOT be Causal?
I think what he is getting at is there are multiple factors going on and that snoring or sleep apnea is not the SOLE cause. A lot of people get sleep apnea because they are obese, which typically is from eating a poor diet and not exercising or being active. Such a diet will also likely raise your blood pressure, elevate your cholesterol and even lead to being insulin resistant or full blown diabetic. Disregarding very specific cases of more isolated sleep apnea, such as yours, I think you'll find that many of these health markers are correlated with one another.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Sleep apnea will in 99% of cases cause CVD and CHF.

Do not let it go undiagnosed, do not think “I’m not obese so it’s not me”. Do not be lured.