Are my weight lifts good or bad?

YT827

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 5'9'' 155lbs...goal is 170-175lbs.

Basically, I watch youtube videos of proper lifting techniques and go to the gym and lift. I'm not an expert nor do I have a personal trainer.

The exercises I do are...

Dumbbell Curls - 40lbs
Bench Press - 145lbs
Squats - 185lbs
Dead Lift - 185lbs
Shoulder Shrugs - 70lbs

Reps 5x5

Is this good for someone my body weight? I'm also doing the GOMAD diet. Any tips to put on more weight? How often should I increase the weight?

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
YT827 said:
I'm 5'9'' 155lbs...goal is 170-175lbs.

Basically, I watch youtube videos of proper lifting techniques and go to the gym and lift. I'm not an expert nor do I have a personal trainer.

The exercises I do are...

Dumbbell Curls - 40lbs
Bench Press - 145lbs

start using a low incline barbell add 100 lbs to it for reps in the next 2 years or something and do incline/flat dumbbell work

Squats - 185lbs

Do front squats, leg press, hack squats

Dead Lift - 185lbs

do rack deadlifts to and why aren't you not doing any barbell/db rows?[/B]

Shoulder Shrugs - 70lbs

Reps 5x5

Meh if you're going for size pick a higher rep range...say 6-15 rep range..

Is this good for someone my body weight? I'm also doing the GOMAD diet. Any tips to put on more weight? How often should I increase the weight?

I think designing your own routine is a lot better if you can get in the gym 4-6 times a week and eat big every day to support it DO IT..especially if you're young. 16-30 years old is the best time to just take advantage and pack on a **** load of mass, hit the gym frequently....

here learn all about routines here and how to design one for your goals in mind ....throw up some exercises and ill help you tweak the selection /rep ranges what not.

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1701042

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_.../how_to_design_a_damn_good_program_part_2&cr=

Evzone

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Strongly agree with reading that Christian Thibadeau article that CarlitosWay posted.

Honestly, I'd cut out bicep curls entirely. Hit the deadlifts harder, and add something like pullups or cable rows, or both, and you'll work your biceps just fine.

Aim for squatting 300. Once you've reached that, then aim for 350. Then aim for 400.

RMM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Evzone said:
Honestly, I'd cut out bicep curls entirely. Hit the deadlifts harder, and add something like pullups or cable rows, or both, and you'll work your biceps just fine.
Compound Rows + Pulldowns have never failed to pump my arms hard, forearms included.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Evzone said:
Strongly agree with reading that Christian Thibadeau article that CarlitosWay posted.

Aim for squatting 300. Once you've reached that, then aim for 350. Then aim for 400.
grrr.........c'mon guys. How do you expect most guys to hit 17-18 inch arms with out hitting heavy curls? Pullups and cable rows providing enough stimulation to help them grow? lol c'mon now....

He needs to hit his ez bar drag curls, cable curls, barbell curls, preacher curls, pinwheel curls, hammer curls and reverse curls just as hard as everything.......Ask any guy who got his arms from 12-13 inches to 17+ plus how he did it....most likely it'll be because lots of food,getting strong on everything, especially on his CURL exercises.

ATP

Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
grrr.........c'mon guys. How do you expect most guys to hit 17-18 inch arms with out hitting heavy curls? Pullups and cable rows providing enough stimulation to help them grow? lol c'mon now....

He needs to hit his ez bar drag curls, cable curls, barbell curls, preacher curls, pinwheel curls, hammer curls and reverse curls just as hard as everything.......Ask any guy who got his arms from 12-13 inches to 17+ plus how he did it....most likely it'll be because lots of food,getting strong on everything, especially on his CURL exercises.
Definatly agree on this, the talk of back exercises giving you huge arms isn't true, at least not for everyone. Arm work is essential if you want the arms to grow at their true potential.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe we should ask the OP if he wants arms like popeye before we suggest a routine.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CaptainJ said:
Maybe we should ask the OP if he wants arms like popeye before we suggest a routine.
+1

How can you give advice on what kind of program to do, etc. if you don't even know the guy's goals.

cuzza

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There's never a reason to NOT do curls, unless they aggravate some kind of injury. If you want arms and want to improve your strength in back exercises, why would you ever NOT want to make your arms stronger?

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
YT827 said:
I'm also doing the GOMAD diet. Any tips to put on more weight? How often should I increase the weight?
With GOMAD increase the weight every friggen time you go to the gym

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
cuzza said:
There's never a reason to NOT do curls, unless they aggravate some kind of injury. If you want arms and want to improve your strength in back exercises, why would you ever NOT want to make your arms stronger?
Your biceps usually aren't the weak point in your deadlift...

ATP

Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
Your biceps usually aren't the weak point in your deadlift...
Biceps femoris is usually a limiting factor/weak point in deadlifts yes. :yes:

On a serious note thought I see no reason to exclude a specific major muscle group because it gets worked in other exercises. Back exercises doesn't involve the biceps as much as the triceps is involved in pushing exercises imo which is a reason as good as anyone to do some curls to get the biceps strength up.

What is it with all the people who advocate not to do biceps exercises? Are they afraid to be seen as disco lifters? Is it cool not to work the biceps?

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ATP said:
Biceps femoris is usually a limiting factor/weak point in deadlifts yes. :yes:

On a serious note thought I see no reason to exclude a specific major muscle group because it gets worked in other exercises. Back exercises doesn't involve the biceps as much as the triceps is involved in pushing exercises imo which is a reason as good as anyone to do some curls to get the biceps strength up.

What is it with all the people who advocate not to do biceps exercises? Are they afraid to be seen as disco lifters? Is it cool not to work the biceps?
It depends on priorities. No one will advocate someone not to do biceps work if they want big arms. But when we get someone who wants to generally get bigger and be stronger, then telling him to do preacher curls, hammer curls, dumbbell curls etc is just overkill when something as simple as chin ups/pull ups will do for arm strength.

So before we get into the whole Bodybuilder vs powerlifter argument, let's ask the OP what HE wants, not what we want. So if he wants big arms? Cool, I don't really care what arm work he does, just make sure he is squatting and deadlifting.

Last edited:

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
YT827 said:
Is this good for someone my body weight?
Yes. But I think the weight is too high. You're doing more strength training rather than bodybuilding. I'm betting your body is pretty efficient with what it does but not that much muscular endurance. Lower the weight and increase the reps. No more than 10, 12, whatever works. Control that weight too, slow it down. If you want to add some power, then fast explosive movement on the way up (contracting moevement) and slow on the way down (relaxing movement). 2 seconds up, no pause, 3 seconds down, no pause... repeat.

You should do some more strength training later when you need to break through plateaus.

Any tips to put on more weight?
Eat more. Stay away from easy sources of calories like sugars and simple carbs. Meat, complex carbs and fats are the best for you. Milk is all right, but it only gets you so far.

How often should I increase the weight?
Whenever you get comfortable with the current weight. Stick with it for a little bit, get comfortable and then increase the weight after a couple of workouts when it gets too easy.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alle_Gory said:
Yes. But I think the weight is too high. You're doing more strength training rather than bodybuilding.
Has it occurred to you that maybe, just maybe the OP wants to do strength training rather than bodybuilding?

Again, don't give someone advice unless you know what they want, otherwise you are just going to confuse them.

YT827

Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I've been busy.

I don't want to be a body builder with huge muscles everywhere. I just want to get rid of my "skinny look" (I consider myself now slim and toned).

The reason why I'm working out is to get stronger. I don't want to eat, eat, eat and not work out.

I'm having problems with my diet though. I work 40 hours a week and I'm often on the road going to different locations. I can't bring my lunch in because it's too incovenient to eat, so I eat out for lunch everyday.

Are there any meals I can make in bulk at the beginning of the week, that's rather simple to prepare and will pack on the pounds? I'm thinking something along the lines of "meat and potatoes". Is brown rice \and meat good?

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to diet and working out.

So my goal is gain 15lbs, increase strength with having a solid toned body.