Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

apartment hunting with a kid.

insanity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mother of god is it ever a pain in the butt to find an apartment with a child. all week i must have phoned literally 150 places and maybe 20 of them said it was alright that i had a child. i make a really decent amount of money but it seems all the nice apartments don't want kids around. the only ones that are willing to let me and my child live are the crackhouses.

alot of the places that i have lived have advertised on tv and the newspapers that they can't figure out why everybody is moving away. well first if you can't find a decent place to live than why stick around and the other the pay is better elsewhere.

i heard it was against the law to prohibit a family from moving into an apartment but i don't know how to go about this if the landlord says no to me moving in with my 7 month old.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it is illegal for them to discriminate upon you based on your familial status.
http://www.chiff.com/a/fair-housing.htm
http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/enforcement/hudcharges.cfm
http://www.craigslist.org/about/FHA.html
Fair Housing is Everyone's Right!
Stating a discriminatory preference in a housing post is illegal
you must comply with section 3604(c) of the Federal Fair Housing Act. This law generally prohibits stating, in any notice or ad for the sale or rental of a dwelling, a discriminatory preference based on any of the following protected categories:

* Race or Color
* National Origin
* Religion
* Sex
* Familial Status (more)
* Handicap / Disability (more)

(Questions? Comments? Check out the fair housing forum)

When making any posting on craigslist, you must comply with section 3604(c) of the Federal Fair Housing Act. This law generally prohibits stating, in any notice or ad for the sale or rental of a dwelling, a discriminatory preference based on any of the following protected categories:

* Race or Color
* National Origin
* Religion
* Sex
* Familial Status (more)

The Fair Housing Act provides additional protections, and limited exceptions, that are explained in publications from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development ("HUD") and the Department of Justice.
State and local laws often prohibit discrimination based on other factors (e.g. sexual orientation, age, marital status, or source of income).
You may report housing discrimination to HUD at 1-800-669-9777, or to a fair housing advocate near you.

"Familial status" means the presence of children under the age of 18.

Unless otherwise exempted, it is illegal to:

* discriminate against families with children
* discourage families with children from renting a unit
* steer families with children to a particular area of an apartment complex
* establish rules, regulations, or policies that discriminate or have a disparate impact on families with children
* discriminate against pregnant women
* discriminate against anyone in process of securing legal custody of a child under age 18

(Questions? Comments? Check out the fair housing forum)

When making any posting on craigslist, you must comply with section 3604(c) of the Federal Fair Housing Act. This law generally prohibits stating, in any notice or ad for the sale or rental of a dwelling, a discriminatory preference based on any of the following protected categories:

* Race or Color
* National Origin
* Religion
* Sex
* Familial Status (more)

The Fair Housing Act provides additional protections, and limited exceptions, that are explained in publications from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development ("HUD") and the Department of Justice.

HUD has issued guidance on advertising, including for roommates.

State and local laws often prohibit discrimination based on other factors (e.g. sexual orientation, age, marital status, or source of income).

You may report housing discrimination to HUD at 1-800-669-9777, or to a fair housing advocate near you.

If you encounter a housing posting on craigslist that you believe violates the Fair Housing laws, please flag the posting as "prohibited".
Frequently Asked Questions:

What are the laws for roommates and shared housing?
Are there any exceptions to the advertising laws?
What are the "protected cateogries" in my area?
What is "familial status"?
Who is exempted from laws prohibiting "familial status" discrimination?
How does the law define "handicap"?
What should I do if I find a discriminatory posting?
Recognizing a discriminatory posting
Examples of Discriminatory Advertisements
Other Resources
Actual examples of discriminatory postings on craigslist
What are the laws for roommates and shared housing?

[top]

Federal Fair Housing laws for roommates and shared housing have two components: advertising and decision-making.

* Advertising: Federal Fair Housing laws prohibit discriminatory advertising in all housing, regardless of how large or small the property. However, as discussed below, advertising which expresses a preference based upon sex is allowed in shared living situations where tenants will share a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area.
* Decision-making: Although the prohibition on discriminatory advertising applies to roommate and shared housing situations, federal Fair Housing laws do not cover the basis of decisions made by landowners who own less than four units, and live in one of the units. This means that in a situation in which a landlord owns less than four rental units, and lives in one of the units, it is legal for the owner to discriminate in the selection process based on the aforementioned categories, but it is illegal for that owner to advertise or otherwise make a statement expressing that discriminatory preference.

Are there any exceptions to the advertising laws?

[top]

Under federal Fair Housing law, the prohibition on discriminatory advertisements applies to all situations except the following:

* Shared Housing Exemption -- If you are advertising a shared housing unit, in which tenants will be sharing a bathroom, kitchen, or other common area, you may express a preference based upon sex only.
* Private Club and Religious Exemptions -- A relgious community or private club whose membership is not restricted based upon race, color, or national origin may restrict tenancy only to its members in a property that it owns, and may advertise to that effect.
* Housing for Older Persons Exemption -- As discussed below, certain complexes for elderly persons are exempt from prohibitions on familial status discrimination, including the prohibitions on discriminatory advertising.

What are the "protected cateogries" in my area?

[top]

The "protected categories" under state and local Fair Housing laws may differ depending on where you reside.

Federal law prohibits discrimination based on the following protected categories:

* Race
* Color
* Religion
* National Origin
* Handicap / Disability
* Familial Status

State and local laws often extend anti-discrimination protections to other categories, such as age, marital status, or sexual orientation. Click your state below for a brief summary of state Fair Housing laws in your state. Please note that not all states have additional Fair Housing laws.

AR - CA - CT - DE - DC - FL - GA - HI - ID - IL - IN - IA - KS - KY - ME - MD - MA - MI - MN - MO - MT - NE - NV - NH - NJ - NM - NY - NC - ND - OH - OR - PA - RI - SC - SD - TN - VT - VA - WV - WI
What is "familial status"?

[top]

"Familial status" means the presence of children under the age of 18.

Unless otherwise exempted, it is illegal to:

* discriminate against families with children
* discourage families with children from renting a unit
* steer families with children to a particular area of an apartment complex
* establish rules, regulations, or policies that discriminate or have a disparate impact on families with children
* discriminate against pregnant women
* discriminate against anyone in process of securing legal custody of a child under age 18

Who is exempted from laws prohibiting "familial status" discrimination?
"Housing for older persons" is defined as either of the following:

1. Housing occupied solely by persons 62 years of age or older; or
2. Housing in which 80% of the occupied units have at least one person 55 years of age or older, and which meet certain other requirements.

if they were willing to rent to you before you told them you had a child, they must rent to you with a child.

The Sperminator

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I don't think they can do that. I mean pet yeah but not kid. They can't not let you rent it because you have a kid.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one can discriminate you for having a kid. Don't even ask. If they ever say anything cite the law PenKitten just brought up and threaten with a lawsuit.

insanity

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. thanks penkitten for the long page of info.

i finally found a really cool spot to live and even though it is 750$ a month. it is a really nice trailer and it's way bigger than any apartment i looked at plus it has a backyard.

when i do move again. i have copied all the information down. next time a landlord tries to gutterball me....i now have firepopwer.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why would they refuse to rent to a guy with a kid? Dogs and cats I understand, but kids can be reliably housebroken and they don't claw up the carpet!

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WaterTiger said:
but kids can be reliably housebroken and they don't claw up the carpet!
one of my kids set fire to the carpet in his room right after i bought a brand new house... no dog of mine has ever done that hahahaha

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
insanity said:
thanks for the replies. thanks penkitten for the long page of info.
i didn't mean for all of that to copy .... just wanted to copy the just of it... unsure what exactly happened and it is too late to edit now haha.

Analytic

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you moving into some type of shared rooms? if that's the case then I can see why you wouldn't want someone with a baby. I can't imagine anybody would have a problem with it otherwise.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
one of my kids set fire to the carpet in his room right after I bought a brand new house... no dog of mine has ever done that hahahaha
If dogs learn how to make fire, and cats learn how to work the can opener, it will be the end of society as we know it!:cool: