Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone taking anti-depressant?

Dark Nimbus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dean
your an idiot man, **** off
also dont take 5htp with any form of ssri's.
I just asked a simple question kid, so maybe you should add some sedatives and tranquilizers to your list of pills and calm the fvck down.

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dark Nimbus
Christ, why are so many of you taking these pills? Are your lives really that bad?
That's what I was wondering. Maybe I don't know jack, but I doubt if anti-depresents are the answer.

This isn't a very promising prognostic for the DJ lifestyle.

"you're a DJ huh? so what anti-depresents are you on?"

"oh, I take 5-HTP...blah blah"

wtf?

"I just asked a simple question kid, so maybe you should add some sedatives and tranquilizers to your list of pills and calm the fvck down."

LMAO:crackup:

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: wean.............

Originally posted by cave dweller
Wow.........

No wonder some of you guys are fvcked up in the head..(taking all of that stuff)

You boys need to wean yourself off of that sh1t and go get a life.

Here is a plan:

1..Get a job

2..Get a GF

3..Get a shot of pvssy

4..Start cutting back on the dam drugs and get them out of your system

5..get some friends

ie.....Get a life.

cave dweller
It's so easy for someone who doesn't know what it's like to make negative comments about helpful drugs.

1. I don't need a job. I am financially independent.

2. I don't want a g/f. I am having the time of my life being single.

3. Working on the pu$$y thing.

4. Not a chance I'm going to give up the drugs. I feel like a new person.

5. I have plenty of friends, thank you.

On the surfce it might seem as if I have a perfect life, with or without drugs. But you simply have NO IDEA how much impact social anxiety had on me despite me being able to cover it up. As long as the benefits of the medication outweigh the drawbacks, I will continue my regimen and live a fulfilling life.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sazuki
I've taken in my life:

5HTP
Clonozepam(?)
Seroxat
Paxil

And probably some more junk I can't remember. It was totally useless.

I have to say this, because this medication BS is getting out of hand:

Your blind faith and reliance on medications to make you happy or relief your social anxiety, is because of the pyschological denial of the true reality of your personal situation in your current life. And so by denying it you can shield your self-image from disintegrating and lowering self-esteem even more. It's motivation based on fear.

Unless you are born into this world as a chronically depressed baby, you really shouldn't rely on medications for happiness and wellbeing threw out life.

For a little while during a hard period in life, sure, but extended periods will help no one...
Sorry to hear the meds did nothing for you. In my case however, they have opened up a world free from the anxiety I have suffered from most of my life.

Dean

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dark Nimbus
I just asked a simple question kid, so maybe you should add some sedatives and tranquilizers to your list of pills and calm the fvck down.
i dont take pills 'kid' and again your a ****ing idiot

DJ_in_making

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Juan and only

This isn't a very promising prognostic for the DJ lifestyle.

"you're a DJ huh? so what anti-depresents are you on?"

"oh, I take 5-HTP...blah blah"

wtf?
yo, DJ is about self-improvement right?

And if by taking anti-depressents they are improving themselves what's the problem? I'm not gonna judge somebody 'till I been in their shoes knowhatImean?

Dean

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ_in_making

And if by taking anti-depressents they are improving themselves what's the problem? I'm not gonna judge somebody 'till I been in their shoes knowhatImean?
good man

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ_in_making

The fact is, I don't think they are improving themselves.

ok, maybe I was too quick to judge, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to become too dependant on drugs. To me at least, that is the easy and short-term solution to a deeper problem.

I think sazuki pretty much hit the spot:
I've taken in my life:

5HTP
Clonozepam(?)
Seroxat
Paxil

And probably some more junk I can't remember. It was totally useless.

I have to say this, because this medication BS is getting out of hand....
Exactly. It worries me that so many people on this board are taking anti-depressants.

Dean

Don Juan
Reaction score
depends for what reasons tho, some people may just feel shy and fill up with drugs, this is wronge and i see your concern!
others may be ill and there is a need for medication-this is when the time for comments such as *is your life really that bad* are about as usefull as a cardboard kettle and a waste of webspace.
lack of undertsanding

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
5HTP isnt an antidepressant or medication...its only a dietary supplement just like vitamins, proteins shakes, amino acids, minerals and all the other stuff so many people take to improve their health. 5htp is derived from a plant is completly natural. Even if you are healthy and you dont have any mental problems it could still improve your sleep, make it harder for some bad news to make you feel down, it just improves your health overall. I dont think anyone on this boards takes such a perfect diet or is in such perfect health to not benefit in some way or another from this supplement.

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by undesputable
5HTP isnt an antidepressant or medication...its only a dietary supplement just like vitamins, proteins shakes, amino acids, minerals and all the other stuff so many people take to improve their health. 5htp is derived from a plant is completly natural. Even if you are healthy and you dont have any mental problems it could still improve your sleep, make it harder for some bad news to make you feel down, it just improves your health overall. I dont think anyone on this boards takes such a perfect diet or be in such perfect health to not benefit in some way or another from this supplement.
Alright, I stand corrected. However, you've missed the point entirely - I was just using 5htp as an example, I could've said Effexor or whatever. The point was that too many people [IMHO] are using antidepressants or similar drugs.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Alright, I stand corrected. However, you've missed the point entirely - I was just using 5htp as an example, I could've said Effexor or whatever. The point was that too many people [IMHO] are using antidepressants or similar drugs.
Fact or opinion?

al77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Originally posted by cave dweller
Wow.........

No wonder some of you guys are fvcked up in the head..(taking all of that stuff)

1..Get a job

2..Get a GF

3..Get a shot of pvssy

4..Start cutting back on the dam drugs and get them out of your system

5..get some friends

While I agree with your first idea :up:, it is ceratinly possible to have anxiety problem while you have a good job, a gf and friends.

Look, just friends could be more like acquaintances & colleages.
(We still call them friends, since we may not have any real ones.. we move from city to city a lot, work long hours and in general do not care about something intangible as friendship)
a gf could be an AW or a FB.
The job could be good, rewarding and stuff but maybe not very exciting if you have been doing it for decades.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Here's an article about depression and anxiety from a psychology point of view.

All in the mind?

The number of employees experiencing psychological problems due to occupational stress has increased rapidly in Western countries,(n1,n2) with mental illness now cited as one of the top three causes of certified sickness absence.(n3)

Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) has been shown to be an effective intervention for anxiety and depression,(n4) as well as for occupational stress.(n5) However, research into CB interventions on employees with occupational stress is scarce, and is an area recommended for further exploration.(n5)

Current CB thinking on anxiety and depression suggests that the way in which an individual responds to their symptoms is a major factor in their course and severity.(n6,n7,n8) Yet a review of the literature pertaining to the effect of taking sickness absence reveals a paucity of published material on the topic.(n5,n9)

This article considers the potential role of sickness absence in the maintenance and outcome of mental health severity -- from a CB perspective - for individuals with anxiety and depression.

It examines the following three areas of the potential impact of sickness absence: the absence of the benefits of employment, the development of sick role behaviour, and an avoidant coping.
Absence of employment

Work is said to play a 'major role in a person's past, an intrinsic part of their present and a potential mould for their future'.(n10) Moos outlined the benefits of employment as multi-faceted, suggesting that a job can "provide structure for a person's life, a sense of satisfaction and productivity from completing meaningful tasks, a feeling of belonging to a valued reference group, a basis of self-esteem and personal identity and a way to earn one's economic place in society".(n11)

Research into sick role behaviour shows that the degree to which illness is understood by society, and consequently the societal norms for its management, play an essential role in the individual's coping responses to illness and their ultimate period of delay in seeking professional help.(n12) Again, the literature is scarce but an early study suggests that the sick role (as defined by society) is believed to qualify a sick person with the right to relinquish their usual responsibilities and even their self-responsibility, depending on the extent of the illness.(n13)

The study also found that individuals with mental health problems often tried independent coping strategies, attempted to withdraw from situations, and/or attempted to deny the presence of the problem for an extended period of time prior to seeking professional help, compared to individuals with physical illnesses.

Despite the time that has passed since this research, it is clear that the current understanding of mental health within society remains poor, and that the stigma around it still exists.(n3)

The kind of coping behaviour used by individuals with occupational stress problems often involves avoidance tactics, known as the 'transactional model'.(n14,n15) The transactional model is defined as "cognitive and behavioural efforts to master, reduce or tolerate the internal or external demands created by the stressful encounter".(n16) This concept - based on a proposal by Lazarus(n17) - suggests this kind of 'coping' is one of avoidance.(n18,n19) This means that sickness absence becomes a means of avoidant coping behaviour for the afflicted individual.
Maintenance factors: a cognitive behavioural perspective

Research into CBT refers to the intrinsic role of a 'maintenance cycle' within both anxiety and depression.(n20) Beck proposed that the maintenance factors of emotional disorders fall into three categories: cognition, behaviour and emotion.(n8) Greenberger and Padesky say that in addition to these, physiological and environmental factors also play a maintenance role.(n21)

The symptoms of anxiety and depression, as well as the responses by individuals to these symptoms, can cause them to fall into these five categories: cognitive, behavioural, emotional, physiological and environmental. Each of these components is reciprocal and therefore a change in one area can influence another,(n8,n21,n22) a concept supported by empirical research.(n25)

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Figure 1 highlights this basic maintenance cycle.
Anxiety maintenance

Anxiety is an emotional response activated by fear-based cognition. So when an individual perceives a situation as threatening, has a view of themselves as vulnerable, the world/others as threatening and the future as unpredictable,(n25) their behavioural response will be to avoid exposure to perceived danger.(n6,n22,n24,n26,n27)

This behaviour is actively reinforced if there is a reduction in anxiety symptoms, which will occur initially as a result of the avoidance of the feared situation.(n6,n27)

However, this behaviour ultimately maintains anxiety because it prevents the disconfirmation of potentially faulty negative beliefs, which were responsible for the initial onset of anxiety.(n8,n22)

Figure 2 highlights an example of anxiety maintenance within the workplace. When the employee with anxiety is signed off sick from work, there is an initial feeling of relief, associated with not having to face difficult situations within the workplace (initial reduction of anxiety symptoms). This may develop or enhance the inaccurate perception of the linear relationship between work (environment) and anxiety (emotion).

However, where the anxiety is based on inaccurate negative cognitions (congruent with high emotional arousal), the absence of exposure to the environment at work leaves the negative cognitions unchecked and serves to give rise to further negative emotions (ultimate maintenance and/or increase in anxiety, fear, agitation, apprehension). This is further enhanced when the employee experiences distress at the thought of going back to that environment.

It is natural for an employee to want to avoid returning to work on the basis of this increased distress and to seek further sick leave. However, returning to work is what is needed to help break the maintenance of anxiety when the perception of the environment is inaccurate.

Sickness absence could serve as an avoidant behavioural response. This is further influenced by the societal perception of sickness behaviour, whereby the individual is likely to not only avoid work but many other daily activities, further exacerbating the potential for avoidant coping and the continuation of anxiety symptoms. It is therefore probable that in the absence of treatment intervention, the removal of the employee from work would serve to maintain the disorder of anxiety.
Depression

Depression is an emotional response activated by loss-based beliefs. Depressive cognition's consist of a view of the self, the world/others, and the future as negative.(n7) These negative cognitions then further interact with the individual's lowered physiological drives, emotional and behavioural responses. Specific behavioural responses include decreased levels of motivation to develop and pursue goals and the consequential reduction in activity levels, apathy, lethargy and avoidance behaviour.(n7,n28,n29)

The symptoms of depression are also believed to interfere with normal relationships because the depressed individual tends to isolate themselves from others,(n31) leading to the experience of rejection, which can further exacerbate negative self perceptions and maintain depression.(n31,n32,n33)

Figure 3 highlights an example of depression maintenance within the workplace. When signed off from work, the employee with depression experiences an instant loss of structured and goal-directed activity, which, coupled with the associated loss of social contact, can have a huge negative impact on their already negative view and, hence, the severity of the depression.

The consequential reduction of other general activity levels (sick role behaviour) and/or a low level of motivation (symptom of depression) to develop new routines to fill the void of time that was previously structured with the activity of employment, can have a reinforcing effect on depressive symptoms.
Conclusion

This review considered the potential impact of sickness absence as a maintenance factor for anxiety and depression from a CB perspective.

For anxiety, the most significant coping behaviour is avoidance, as it tends to lead to an initial decrease in symptoms but ultimately maintains the anxiety because it prevents the disconfirmation of potentially faulty negative beliefs, responsible for the initial onset of the anxiety.(n6,n22)

For depression, the most common coping behaviour is also avoidance, which leads to a reduction in general and/or social activity levels. This behaviour ultimately serves to reinforce the activating cognitions and consequently increases depressive symptoms.(n7,n28)

As a result of this review, sickness absence for individuals with anxiety and/or depression may act as a potential maintenance factor, suggesting that signing off an employee with symptoms of anxiety and/or depression without any other intervention can actually be contraindicating to their condition. Such a finding in the context of the current surge of occupational mental health and corresponding utilisation of sickness leave is extremely concerning.

However, although this review has focused on the negative implication of sickness absence on the symptoms of anxiety and depression, it does not underestimate the need for sickness absence in certain cases. It seems clear though that to use sickness absence more positively, we need to further understand some of the processes by which it can impact upon an individual.

The current Health & Safety Executive initiatives actively promoting the awareness of mental health in the workplace for both employers and employees are helpful,(n3) and may help to tackle the current problems pertaining to the societal view of mental health and the sick role. However, in light of this review, such isolated initiatives may be insufficient and further research into the efficacy of interventions for this group need to be considered. For example, the specific role of early intervention to either replace or complement sickness absence for those who are unable to continue to function at work is a priority.(n34,n35)

Last edited:

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Feel like summarising what you just said? I'm too tired to read such a long post, especially when it sounds like it was written by a government official.

If you're gonna copy and paste an entire article why don't you just give us the link?:p

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Feel like summarising what you just said? I'm too tired to read such a long post, especially when it sounds like it was written by a government official.

If you're gonna copy and paste an entire article why don't you just give us the link?:p
Its an entire article written by people with doctorals in psychology.

I didnt post the link because its from a database that you need a password to have access so if i posted the link it would not have worked for anyone else.

The Juan and only

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by undesputable
Its an entire article written by people with doctorals in psychology.

I didnt post the link because its from a database that you need a password to have access so if i posted the link it would not have worked for anyone else.
fair enough

Caesar20

Don Juan
Reaction score
aurorix.

cave dweller i can't get a girl, i beat myself down in my mind that i won't be able to keep a job, i can't get pvssy because i think my life is a wreck and they are too good for me or(and) am afraid that they will just use me, dump me and break my heart (and laugh at me). and i can't get lost of friends because im on computer all day long and actually too afraid to go outside (to pubs, sports....). low self-image & co.

and that was the same before i started taking "drugs".
and i think too much. :cheer: