Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone know about the status of this "breakthrough" acne medication in development?

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Found this a while ago and it piqued my interest. My face is fine, and while my back is better than it used to be I'm still a bit self-conscious about taking my shirt off in front of anyone. So this looks interesting. Just too bad it's only in the early stages of development and they have little funds for testing and further research....at least, they did back in april when this article was written.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3643097.stm
Gel 'will end the misery of acne'

A scientist says he can develop a gel which will provide effective treatment of acne without side-effects.

Professor Keith Holland, of the University of Leeds,
said tests showed a virus commonly found on skin could
kill the bacteria responsible for acne.

Dermatologists backed the research, but noted it was
only at an early stage.

The findings come as a survey for the Acne Support
Group showed children suffering from it were often
missing out on schooling as a result.

Current treatments either have side-effects or involve
antibiotics which, if used too much, create resistant
strains.

Certain types of contraceptive pill are sometimes
prescribed to alter hormonal levels responsible for the
acne.

The Acne Support Group survey of 563 people found 40%
of school children with acne suffered a loss of
concentration on their studies as a result.

And 20% took time off school.

Among adults, 83% said their self-confidence was
affected and 80% felt depressed because of the
condition.

Professor Holland, a microbiologist at the Leeds Skin
Research Centre, hopes to use a bacteria-specific
virus, called a bacteriophage, which is commonly found
on human skin.

Tests showed it attacked the bacteria responsible for
acne, Professor Holland said.

He hopes to start clinical trials, testing the
treatment on patients, in the summer.

Professor Holland said: "We are thinking of the future.
We think a possible answer is the use of bacteriophage.

"We want to make a gel which contains the bacteriophage
which we can put in a higher concentration on the
skin."

Because it is naturally present, he believes there will
not be a toxic side-effect in using it as a treatment.

Alison Dudley, of the Acne Support Group, said new
therapies were needed.

Dark ages

"We are still in the dark ages with acne," she said.

Professor Holland does not yet have funding for the
clinical trials he hopes to run.

Professor Michael Davis, of Central Connecticut State
University's department of biological sciences, is
carrying out similar research into the use of
bacteriophage.

He said: "If you are treating bacterial diseases on the
outside of people, I think they are a natural thing to
use."

Dr Debra Jaliman, a spokeswoman for the American
Academy of Dermatology, said there was not yet
widespread research into the use of bacteriophage, but
that it could be a positive development for the future.

She said: "It could be a big breakthrough. There are so
many acne sufferers that it is something that is
definitely needed."
One issue that concerns me is that the cosmetic industry will probably do everything within their power to stifle this product's development, since it would destroy a large part of their business. Hope it makes its way to market soon.

Also, how much of a turn-off is it really for a girl if there's mild, maybe moderate acne on a guy's back? As much as it is on a girl's back for a guy?

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll have grown out of it by the time they've done trials and got approvals.

I've seen research that retinol A definately works and is not hype and there a quite a few products with it in now.

The gold standard for acne treatments is Accutane. You would have to have it really bad though to warrant it's use. It's not something you would use lightly.

I was on tetracyclin as a teenager, it worked for me, but it might not be used nowadays with all the stuff about anti-biotics.

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo

Is there any reason why you can't take Accutane?

Too many damn side-effects.

affliction

Don Juan
Reaction score
Accutane side effects are no big deal, dude. Ive been on it twice (acne came back 5 months after my 6 month treatment) and the side effects were never that serious. You get used to it eventually. I'm considering going on it for a 3rd session, although my acne isnt very bad anymore.

There's no reason to not try it.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The only side effect I noticed with accutane was dry lips and skin for a period of about a month...

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll have grown out of it by the time they've done trials and got approvals.
Not everyone stops getting acne when they turn 20. My dad got it til he was 35. I still have it and I'm almost 22 (just went to the dermotologist again today infact).

Accutane side effects are no big deal, dude. Ive been on it twice (acne came back 5 months after my 6 month treatment) and the side effects were never that serious. You get used to it eventually. I'm considering going on it for a 3rd session, although my acne isnt very bad anymore.
False. It completely depends on the person. Sometimes I felt like killing myself I got so depressed from the crap. On top of that it totally fvcked up my skin so I couldn't tan until a year ago. I looked like a vampire I was so white.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes I'm 40 and still get the occasional spot/s especially when bulking. I was sort of joking about the fact his acne may clear up before the stuff is on the market :D

I still reckon retinol A is worth trying.

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If any of you suffer from severe acne or occasional flare ups, i suggest going to the tanning salon. Although their are potential long term risks, it does improve your skin complextion.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, using a virus that only attacks acne bacteria to treat acne, I must say that's an innovative idea.. Hope this product comes around before I grow out of it.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True - why not just go to the dermatologist and try whatever meds he recommends? Retin-A could work wonders for you, so could BenaClin, PlexionSCT, Lotrisone, Azelex... (I went to the bathroom to find names of some medication in the drawers.. I'm a regular at my derm's ;))

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Proactiv has a little bit of benzoyl peroxide and certain types of acid that help treat acne. The peroxide works great, but you're better off getting more of it from a perscription or over-the-counter that says it has 10% benzoyl peroxide. The acid you can build a tolerance to.

I was on Proactiv for a few months and it worked at first, then stopped working effectively enough to be worth the trouble of putting it on. You have to put on 3 different creams and it's a huge pain.

If you have health insurance it's cheaper to get a prescription anyway.

Aresx

Don Juan
Reaction score
there's this sulfur olutoin i started using that's awesome...

it's called bye bye blemish, and you put it on your hot spot, and overnight it is reduced drastically (can barely see it)

another thing i've started ding is taking vitamin A (the oil caps, not the pills) which is supposed to dilute the sebum that builds up in your pores

although not completely blemish free (i still eat like crap) i have never had a clearer face

affliction

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shiftkey
False. It completely depends on the person. Sometimes I felt like killing myself I got so depressed from the crap. On top of that it totally fvcked up my skin so I couldn't tan until a year ago. I looked like a vampire I was so white.
I suffered from severe depression also & contemplated suicide several times. I just stuck with it, though. The only reason I haven't gone on for a 3rd session is due to the fact that I go to a tanning salon now (having a tan hides my zits & scars very nicely) and I can't give that up.

Right now I take Doxycyclin (2 pills per day) and use a topical form of accutane (Retin-A Micro). Both of these are said to make your skin sensitive to sun, but I haven't had any issues w/ the tanning booths.