Anyone here following American Idol this year?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I watch it with my little girl each week. Normally I'm not all that impressed, but this year they have a couple of really good male singers. Elliott Yamin is my favorite...he sounds exactly like Donny Hathaway and an awful lot like Stevie Wonder...and he's a funky white Jewish guy, lol...who'd have thought such a voice would come out of him...amazing, really. My second favorite is a gray haired 28 year old named Taylor Hicks. He's got this Joe ****er/Sam Cooke thing going on.

I'm just curious if anyone follows the show or not and if you don't, it's actually worth watching this year. You can download song files online by both of them. Definitely worth a listen...both will definitely be putting out CDs.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
are u serious :down:

Rovalier

Don Juan
Reaction score
What is American Idol? I heard it involves people singing or something and some British Chap that bash them... Why don't they persue a label/record the good old fashion way?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Americans vote by phone and text message to pick the one they like the best.

For anyone who wants to watch some online clips or listen to remotely hosted mp3 of my favorite...here is a link.

(Oh, and the Brit, Simon Cowell, said that Elliott Yamin is potentially the best male vocalist they've seen in all seasons combined. He's really great.)

http://www.yaminions.com/yaminions/modules.php?name=Media

Rovalier

Don Juan
Reaction score
You syre Cowell isn't overhyping it cause of a ratings drought, aka jump the shark.

Wait so where they get these people? Do people randomly apply? Wouldn't they get overlap from earlier seasons?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Nope...this guy has the best vocals I've heard in a LONG time. I'm talking years.

Every summer they hold auditions in major US cities where tens of thousands of people come to audition. They pick the best 24 (12 girls and 12 guys) and have them sing on television and American votes for their favorites each week until there is only one left.

The show actually beat the Olympics in ratings, beat the Grammys too. It's really popular.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
The show actually beat the Olympics in ratings, beat the Grammys too. It's really popular.
Kinda pathetic that we lie in a country where more people vote for shows than for their next president... America is AWESOME!

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Brian20o2 said:
Kinda pathetic that we lie in a country where more people vote for shows than for their next president... America is AWESOME!
Well, if the political parties would actually give people someone worth voting for as a candidate, more people would vote.

Did anyone listen to the guy I posted a link to? I'd love to hear what you think about him.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
I like Kelly Clarkson. she's the only quality artist to come through american idol.
She has a grammy and all of her music is decent. The rest of them should be shot by your turkey gun.

shydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think ace is good!! He has voice of micheal jackson's!!

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
SELF-MASTERY said:
I like Kelly Clarkson. she's the only quality artist to come through american idol.
She has a grammy and all of her music is decent. The rest of them should be shot by your turkey gun.
Every other year I would agree with you...but they actually have some really good ones this year.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brian20o2 said:
Well, you have to be 18 to vote for presidents, but you can vote at any age for American Idol. Yeah, I saw the commercial for that stupid movie too.

Rovalier

Don Juan
Reaction score
I always hear all these record labels and contracts are extremely tight? They trap you for years.

If the guy is talent he should just do the grunt work, hire the right people and produce it on his own. His talent should sell as it is. I say get his 15 minutes on American Idol NOW, and QUIT in the middle of competition WHILE he produces his own CD/music through some decent indy distributor. Get the best of both worlds.

Anyways, a lot of people don't show up to vote, not because they are inept or lazy, because there is a lack of choices. The American political party system is too its "its either them or me". Two choices are unacceptable.

Democracies should be pluralistic and competitive. I think there should be limits on campaign fundings so people are forced to compete on a more level playing field. This way also, some of the major parties are less obligated to certain people who "helped them".

Bonhomme

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've watched a bit of it, and thankfully it's not plagued by the horrific oversinging that has typically rendered the show unbrearable. What ill wind hath Whitney Houston wrought?!?!?

I like the little chick who really belts it out -- I think her name's Paris, or something like that.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Bonhomme said:
I've watched a bit of it, and thankfully it's not plagued by the horrific oversinging that has typically rendered the show unbrearable. What ill wind hath Whitney Houston wrought?!?!?

I like the little chick who really belts it out -- I think her name's Paris, or something like that.

Yeah, I like Paris too, hard to believe she's only 17 years old with her voice...but Elliott just shocked me with how great his voice is. My least favorites are Ace and Kellie. I swear that girl couldn't get any more stupid. It has to be an act for attention because NO ONE can be THAT dumb. I can't believe she threw a hankie at Ryan and called it a "community snot rag". I like Taylor too...I thought it was hilarious when they did Queen songs and he kicked at the mike stand and missed, lol.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I only watch it for kellie pickler. Shes hot and my penis knows this

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Skel said:
I only watch it for kellie pickler. Shes hot and my penis knows this

Ewww! You watch for the Attention wh*re? Figures, lol. There are 3 girls on there, and only one of them is an AW and that's the one you watch for? You have learned nothing here, lol.

I don't get why the guys don't like Katherine better. She's absolutely beautiful, sweet, isn't an idiot and she comes from a good family.

Kellie Pickler's mother abandoned her, her father's been in prison most of her life, she is dumber than a rock, can't sing for crap, is an attention wh*re and she's not anywhere near as pretty as Katherine. Shame on you Skel...shame, shame, shame.

Vote for Elliott...he's the best singer...and he's a dude who is improving himself more each week. He isn't the best looking guy, but he's getting better looking each week. Show some solidarity for the guys who work on improving themselves...tune in at 8pm tonight on FOX and vote for Elliott Yamin!

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:
Ewww! You watch for the Attention wh*re? Figures, lol. There are 3 girls on there, and only one of them is an AW and that's the one you watch for? You have learned nothing here, lol.

I don't get why the guys don't like Katherine better. She's absolutely beautiful, sweet, isn't an idiot and she comes from a good family.

Kellie Pickler's mother abandoned her, her father's been in prison most of her life, she is dumber than a rock, can't sing for crap, is an attention wh*re and she's not anywhere near as pretty as Katherine. Shame on you Skel...shame, shame, shame.

Vote for Elliott...he's the best singer...and he's a dude who is improving himself more each week. He isn't the best looking guy, but he's getting better looking each week. Show some solidarity for the guys who work on improving themselves...tune in at 8pm tonight on FOX and vote for Elliott Yamin!
yeah shes kind of dumb and Im not really into blondes but there is something about country girls I find attractive. I know she isnt the best singer and I dont know the name but I actually like the bald guy and the guy with gray hair.

Is katherine the brunette? She is also attractive and I prefer dark hair but I wouldnt be into her if I knew her in real life.

dadmonson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire said:

If Gideon and that Asian dude were still on there I would watch but they're not. They were the best, better than Elliot in my opinion.