Anyone Have Any Study Tips?

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
title is pretty self-explanatory, im in 3rd year university, and im about a week before 3 midterms in one week. I can just see the pain hovering over me, with all the time im going to have to put in. Ive been procrastinating so hard this year. I think i may have ADD, i can never focus for long at all, and im always playing video games

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude you're in 3rd year uni, all the kids who actually have ADD never make it to high school.

Just make a daily schedule and stick to it. Make it fairly gentle. 2 hour study block followed by 1 hr. video games, 2 hr. study block, 1hr go outside and kick a ball, 2 hrs study, 1 hr video games, etc.

Before you know it you've just spent most of the day studying. Do that every day and you'll be better off than most kids.

Don't listen to all that b.s. about "making study fun". It's a pain in the ass, plain and simple. Accept that it's quite high on the list of ****ty activities, and that girls love it(approval seekers) and guys hate it. Accept that you're going to have to sacrafice a heap of play time to take care of your sh1t.

I have a quote posted up in my room which gets me back on track during the week. "Remember why you are here." Repeat that to yourself a few times. Another good one is "I do today what you won't, so I can do tomorrow what you can't." Crank the music up and get studying.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And keep your schedule as normal as possible.

I had a midterm Monday night awhile ago and monday afternoon I still went to the gym and did a squatting session. That morning I went for a run and I still did all my usual stuff during the day. I just cut out the b.s. that doesn't mean much(socializing, games, internet surfing, etc.)

Even in exam time I still go to bed at 1030pm and get up at 630am. There's plenty of time in the day to take care of studying AND take care of your usual stuff.

Most people are mental and physical wrecks during exams, but if you start working at a good pace a three or four weeks ahead, exams will fly by and you'll barely even care about them.

There really isn't that much work aside from the odd assignment. Two weeks out from midterms start studying 4-8 hours a day depending on workload. Four weeks out from finals, start studying 4-8 hours a day. That's 4 2hr blocks at most. The rest of each day is yours.

This all applies unless you're in Engineering Science, in which case break your day down into 25 hour study sessions :D

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Take all your books and go to the library and sit on your ass there.

When you don't have all those distractions around you such as tv or video games you will actually get some work accomplish.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From someone who has YEARS of experience studying and self-professed "ADD", I can tell you a few things:

-DO NOT STUDY AT HOME!!! There are too many distractions. You will not get any real work done. I prefer the library because it's super quiet and there is no b.s. Just a table, books, and my brain.

-Study in "blocks". Like Quik said, you have to time-manage. Don't try to study for 6 hours straight, you'll burn out. Study for 2 hours, then break to do something physical. Study a couple more, then play some video games. Take 'mini-breaks' if it helps, just like getting a snack or taking a 10 min walk. Exercise will keep your mind fresh.

-Find your own methods. Some people like dead quiet, others like music, others like to study with friends, etc. I personally HAVE to study alone, in quiet, by a window. I take frequent breaks to avoid burnout.

-Depending on what you are studying, making notecards can help, or jotting notes down in your texts. I like to use mnemonics and anagrams...but this is best for tedious science stuff. Repetition is key. Go over all your material at least 2-3 times. Unless you have a photographic memory or are super-interested, once will not be enough.

-If you have trouble focusing, COFFEE!! Not too much though. I also took Ritalin while in college (prescribed), and it helped immensely with concentration. But I'm not advocating this; it can be dangerous and addictive. I stopped after I took my MCAT. I knew a lot of people who took adderall like candy.

There is no magical formula to studying, it is just hard work. Especially if you aren't interested in the material. You should commit to studying 5 days per week, for at least 4 hours per day. That way you get 20 hours a week in and still have 2 days off, as opposed to cramming in one day. You just have to make it a habit.

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
great tips guys, im thinking about going to the library tomorrow. Another problem is, i can never get to the real heart of my studying, until i feel i am under pressure. If ii have the chance to study before hand, i never really put any effort into becuase i feel i will just forget by the time midterms roll around. This is a bad habit.

Just hearing your guys words, reminded me i need to suck it up, get it over with, nice quote btw Quik i like it

Punisha

Don Juan
Reaction score
well i never NEVER studied in my life( and no im not pushing it) so i can't help you guys with studying BUT i can help you with other stuff.

To start off pay attention to classes. I know this is basic but i really mean it.im one year away from university and i can keep my grades medium-high just by paying attention but i really do it.lots of times classmates have told me that i look like a tiger waiting to jump on the prey due to the ammount of attention im paying to the teacher

Another tip is to have music going on. i do this just by hearing music on my brain while im on the classroom.what this does is simple: when i get home and listen to that music i remember almost everything. i had a friend do this thing but he was drawing instead of listening to music so it can be used in many ways.

Yet another tip is to NOT write what the teacher says.you should use your own words.its easier to understand and to remember.also you practice your writing

last but not least: remain calm and relaxed during exams. just take a breath in and if needed/allowed drink some water. This way your brain doesent stress out so its easier to remember stuff.

And remember: cheat but dont cheat.writing important stuff in small pieces of paper that could be used for cheating is a way to memorize things.

Also ive heard that doing a little jogging or any other physical activity before studying/exams helps but i never really tried it

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KillaPetehog said:
I think you're in the wrong forum for what you're looking for. Go on google and you should find a forum that specializes on more academic interests.

The interests here...are different. :D :up: :D

Well ive received some helpful opinions so far, so im glad im made this thread. I think studying habits applies to a large population of SS members, and im assuming most are in HS, Uni, or recently graduated, so i value their inputs. But i appreciate your reply as well:cool:

DJDamage

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KillaPetehog said:
I think you're in the wrong forum for what you're looking for. Go on google and you should find a forum that specializes on more academic interests.

We can always combine the interests together. Anyone remembers the movie Billy Madison??! In order to motivate Billy, his hot teacher/girlfriend was testing him after he studied, and for every right answer she would take an article of clothing off and for every wrong answer she would put something back on. If that's not a good motivation to study I don't know what is.....:D

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
KillaPetehog said:

Good study tips:

1. Be interested in your books, but not TOO interested. The information in them will start to pull away and you won't remember sh!t after that. Also, act a little aloof and c0cky while studying to keep the books on their toes and giving what you want.

2. Always have some other books you're willing to study from, in case the one you're currently with starts playing bullsh!t games with your head and causes you to lose concentration and focus. You've got to get spinning books if you want to be the man.

3. The more books you open, the better you'll be at studying in the future since you have enough prior experience to work on your learning game.

Good luck! :p

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is important you get a lot of sleep. When you sleep, your brain organizes everything that you've learned.

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The above posters provide good advice, but we have heard most of it before.

Get this book:

"What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time. (Paperback)" by Adam Robinson

Amazon @ $11.56

This was perhaps the BEST advice I ever got in how to succeed in school.

"I reckon the principal theme of this wonderful book is anchored on two premises:

- school is a game;
- winning this game is only a question of strategy;

The author, Adam Robinson, co-founder of the Princeton Review & developer of a revolutionary method for tackling the SAT since the early 80's, introduces an innovative & strategic approach to studying, which accentuates the core value of this book. It lies in the twelve powerful 'Cyberlearning Questions' which have been skillfully crafted by the author. These well-constructed questions will help you to think through and navigate the information overload in your text materials. The author gives a lot of specific study/reading examples to guide the reader.

Most students treat reading/studying as a regurgitating process. In essence, reading/studying is a thinking - and reflective - process. Questions help you think and reflect better - and faster. Not only that, they help you retain and recall the learnt information faster. "

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Road Demon said:
The above posters provide good advice, but we have heard most of it before.

Get this book:

"What Smart Students Know: Maximum Grades. Optimum Learning. Minimum Time. (Paperback)" by Adam Robinson

Amazon @ $11.56

This was perhaps the BEST advice I ever got in how to succeed in school.

"I reckon the principal theme of this wonderful book is anchored on two premises:

- school is a game;
- winning this game is only a question of strategy;

The author, Adam Robinson, co-founder of the Princeton Review & developer of a revolutionary method for tackling the SAT since the early 80's, introduces an innovative & strategic approach to studying, which accentuates the core value of this book. It lies in the twelve powerful 'Cyberlearning Questions' which have been skillfully crafted by the author. These well-constructed questions will help you to think through and navigate the information overload in your text materials. The author gives a lot of specific study/reading examples to guide the reader.

Most students treat reading/studying as a regurgitating process. In essence, reading/studying is a thinking - and reflective - process. Questions help you think and reflect better - and faster. Not only that, they help you retain and recall the learnt information faster. "
hahah sorry but that book is BULLSH1T. Maybe if you study 10 hours a day it works, but most college kids got to eat, sleep, party, work, do sports, do extra curriculrs, join clubs ETc.

That advice is bullsh1t. Best advice?

START EARLY

BREAK IT INTO CHUNKS

PLAN IT OUT

WHEN PLANNING ESTIMATE THE AMOUNT OF TIME IT WOULD TAKE FOR YOU TO DO IT

THEN DOUBLE THAT TIME AND BLOCK IT OUT ON YOUR CALENDAR

YOU ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS UNDERESTIMATE THE TIME!!!

so do that and get yoru ass working...PROBLEM SOLVED.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
hahah sorry but that book is BULLSH1T. Maybe if you study 10 hours a day it works, but most college kids got to eat, sleep, party, work, do sports, do extra curriculrs, join clubs ETc.

START EARLY

BREAK IT INTO CHUNKS

PLAN IT OUT

This man speaks the truth.

Road Demon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:

START EARLY

BREAK IT INTO CHUNKS

PLAN IT OUT

Desert Fox:

May I inquire to your level of education obtained and your current occupation? I'm curious why did respond to my recommendation with such emotion?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I'm really curious why you believe it is BS. You must have you read the book cover to cover?

I made a recommendation on the single most important resource that changed my approach to school success, which allowed me to have more time to pursue other activites outside of the Ivory Halls.

I can say with 95% certainity that I have spent more time in academia that you, as well teaching more college students than you. My question here is what is your experience and education that enables you to make such a strong statement?

Please enlighten me.

RD

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Road Demon said:
Desert Fox:

May I inquire to your level of education obtained and your current occupation? I'm curious why did respond to my recommendation with such emotion?

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but I'm really curious why you believe it is BS. You must have you read the book cover to cover?

I made a recommendation on the single most important resource that changed my approach to school success, which allowed me to have more time to pursue other activites outside of the Ivory Halls.

I can say with 95% certainity that I have spent more time in academia that you, as well teaching more college students than you. My question here is what is your experience and education that enables you to make such a strong statement?

Please enlighten me.

RD
I'm a second year college student and it's great you have more degrees than i do. Congrats you were born earlier.

The fact that I am a student speaks volumes because I actually am in the same position as the OP, and I have read that book and it is bullsh1t. I follow a different book's advice: "How to Win at college" and another book with a title along the lines of "How to become a straight A student."

Both excellent books and practical. Of course there is good advice but with my books you cannot do everything they suggest...simply isn't enough time.

Robinson's book is like a science project...it's like dissecting your goddamn classes. You don't have time efor that. I study hard and I still don't have time to do all the bullsh1t he asks you to do.

In college its all about picking and choosing. If you read 100% of the text book you will lose because you won't finiish it and miss out on a lot of the important stuff.

I have read Robinson's book 2 times. Once in high school and before I entered college I picked it up again hoping I could apply what he said some more, but then I picked up those 2 other books and basically they clicked A LOT better because you don't have to spend 80% of your time working on your notes.

Everybody learns differently and I highly doubt Robinson's method will work for the OP who is like me, a college student, and has procrastination issues. It's all about starting early and breaking up your work into small chunks so they do'nt seem looming.

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude you in engineering at UofT by any chance? 3 midterms in one week sounds pretty engineering to me. When I was in 3rd year, I had 2 midterms in a space of 2 hours with a quiz thrown in between on a thursday and a 5% quiz the next day and a lab and an assignment due on the coming monday lol.