Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone got exp in bartering for lost items after i move out?

CMNILS87

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Long story short, Im moving out of my current residence and back up campus to finish school. Currently i pay 500/month for rent to a friend that is a homeowner to rent out the basement and use of the bedroom, downstairs bathroom, living room and kitchen. Now it was a verbal agreement and he also got a brand new puppy and asked if i was ok with that when i moved in 2 years ago. I said that was fine, but also that the dog couldnt be left alone running around during the day in teething phase.

So 2 years later, hes destroyed multiple things of mine.
2 pairs of shoes (60)
xbox controller (50)
rollerblades (70)
pair of crocs (40)
iphone workout band (30)
blueray player (30)
backpack (50)
2 sets of expensive heaphones (50/each)

the other roommate lost a couple pairs of shoes that were on the landing and a few other small items

He felt bad for the dog and he was barking all the time so he started a trial phase to let him out during the day. I said ok, but he needs to be blocked off from the landing and downstairs where all my stuff was. So i yell at him the 3rd-4th time this happens and he finally puts a gate upstairs to block him off. After the gate is put up, then he doesn't chew another thing of mine, just the couches upstairs. Hes never once ever offered to repay any of my things and had stated the first couple times that i need to put my stuff in my room. My rebuttal to that was that myself and another roommate rent out the basement rooms and our area is downstairs like what was agreed when we moved in and the communal area upstairs is for the dog to roam around if he chooses. he bought a new bike helmet for his cousins kid within 3 days after the dog chewed it up, so i dont know why he hasnt tried to repay any of my stuff. Maybe he thinks it collateral damage for having a dog. I mean if this was my dog and the first time it happened, i would have reimbursed them quickly and had that gate up pretty fast.

How do i go about asking for monetary value in this situation? I have most of the items still around and the others i tossed i may have a pic or 2 in my phone. I come of very crass when I'm pissed off and very dominant and these matters can tend to be very sticky situations between friends so thats why I'm asking for help.

The Dog is a lab/ches. retriever and he just doesnt get exercise. The guy works and then goes golfing afterwards or heads over to his GF's and is gone for a day at a time sometimes and asks us to feed him and such. Its just a bad situation for the dog and the owner should really have him.

Alvafe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well the crocs the dog kinda made you a favor :)

in the others well best way would be you talk with him and see if he would, I don't think you caould sue him or make pressure with anything, you could simple hold a month or 2 of month fee for the rent in the verbal agreement as well since your dog eat my things up i'm not paying till I get the money back.

btw I never had my dog do this much damage, but when she was a puppy she would never wander inside the house and stay outside, also dogs a like children you reallly need to teach then how to behave.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would mention the items that the dog chewed, and suggest as an easy solution to pay a smaller amount of rent for one month to help you recoup from the damage the dog did.

....and this is why I don't have a dog. I had enough things destroyed by dog teeth when I was a kid.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
A bit late now.
The time to ask was when the first item was destroyed.
You let things slide too long.

ElCholoYolo

Reaction score
To have that much stuff chewed up is not all on the dog or owner. I would have realized the risk after the first, second, third... items. You wouldn't find my stuff anywhere after that. Agreed, Its too late. I would let it go, it's just stuff.

CMNILS87

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A bit late now.
The time to ask was when the first item was destroyed.
You let things slide too long.
i did originally ask him to replace the two headphones and armband and he said tough **** and he said i had to lock up everything up in my room. It was also agreed upon that the dog was to be locked upstairs before any of this happened while in his puppy phase if left alone

CMNILS87

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To have that much stuff chewed up is not all on the dog or owner. I would have realized the risk after the first, second, third... items. You wouldn't find my stuff anywhere after that. Agreed, Its too late. I would let it go, it's just stuff.
after the first time, i told him to get a gate continually, since the downstairs is where i rent. Thats my area and living room to put stuff. He slow played the gate and put it off thinking it was a one time thing. I withheld rent a full 3 weeks till he finally put it in.

dustmuffin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't look after the dog while he is away unless he compinsates you in some maner.

CMNILS87

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you were to take this to court, a judge would say why did you stick around so long, but nothing wrong for asking worst case he'll say no.
We talked it out and I ended up getting a week and a half free rent before I move out in Sugust here. His statement was that he rented me only a room and yada yada. Dog chewed his stuff up to and he doesn't want to fight over a friendship. A lot of smooth talking personally, but whatever it's over and done with.