Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anybody ever see the 1960 movie 'The Apartment'

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was watching that the other day and I had to give these writers a lot of credit. They had it down, they understood the AFC - alpha/beta - hypergamy - dynamic really well and played it perfectly I thought.

If you havn't seen it its basically about some office worker guy that falls in love with the elevator girl (haha, do we still have them?). She seems really cute, and sweet.. the type any beta might think is a good girl or they have a shot at. You know, the hidden gem kind of thing.

Turns out she is banging the boss who is also married and basically just bangs her here and there. He becomes her orbiter in hopes of her coming to her senses at some point but she claims to still be in love with the other guy. What he thought was this sweet innocent thing even try to commit suicide over her being distraught that she and the boss cant be together. They even showed alpha boss showing AFC tendancies when he sees her slipping away..

And here is my favorite part..

At the end of the movie it looks like she finally has given up on big shot alpha man and you see her at beta's place playing cards as if they are finally together... but the movie never makes that clear, looks like he just continues to be her 'Friend' hahah. It ends with him saying "I love you, Miss Kubelik. Did you hear what I said, Miss Kubelik? I absolutely adore you." and she says "shut up and deal" total friend zone!! lol. It was so refreshing to see as opposed to all these idiotic movies these days where the hot girl finally commits and falls in love with the beta.

If anybody needed this site, it was CC Baxter. Good stuff, i recommend it.

http://moviedex.com/wp-content/uploads/10apartment1.jpeg

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You do find Game (or a sophisticated awareness of how it works at least) in some strange places. My jaw was on the floor when I recently watched The Princess Bride; doubly so because it presents as a classic fairytale romance, but goes on to do some really subversive stuff with those notions, i.e. "And what is that worth, the promise of a woman?".

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You make a really good point about how unusual it is to see the chump not get the girl. Equally rare is the movie or tv series that doesn't try to reform (save) its lovable rogue, i.e. Alfie, Hank Moody, Barny.

I was disappointed to see the writers take Big Bang Theory down that road, not that any of the characters are players by any stretch, but they were happy enough before the girlfriends came on the scene - all unique, interesting individuals. But no, they had to normalise them by degrees. That's the consistent, underlying message in any network sitcom. Guys need to be saved and diverted from their life's passions so they can play "guess why I'm angry with you" with some empty headed trollop - and see, aren't they so much better for it!

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My favorite example of this is the movie "The Principal". The main character is suffering from the ending of his marriage. He eventually quits trying to save his marriage and puts all his effort into turning a 5hitty gang and drug ridden school into a decent place for teenagers to learn. No love scenes, no saved marriage, and no need for a woman. Just full effort into doing his job.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The musical based on this play, "Promises, Promises" has some great songs. The beta dude in that was played by Jerry Orbach, who most folks know as (at least before he passed away) the older detective on Law & Order. Some of the songs he sings have truly cringe-worthy betatude (although he seems to finally get over it with the title track.)

JD57

Don Juan
Reaction score
The Apartment would be a better alpha/beta lesson if the boss were the beta and the schlub worker were the alpha and the worker banging the girl with the boss baying at her.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to see an eye-opening film about game, alphas, and betas, check out In The Company of Men. (Spoiler alert! - Don't read the whole synopsis if you want to watch the movie without knowing everything.)

rambof07

Reaction score
Ya, I have seen this movie and it was really amazing. A true classic. It's about advancement, ambition, corruption and adultery, and it operates as both a satire and a sorrowful romance.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I should add that the latest run of the musical has the very buxom Kristin Chennowith as the female lead. :woo:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It doesn't get any more alpha than Bogart in Casablanca IMHO.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear St,
If you enjoy Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine in this you will also enjoy Irma "La Douce"

Burgess

Reaction score
Hi St_99,
I didn't saw this 1960 movie The Apartment but after reading your post and watching the photo will certainly watch The Apartment on weekend and will share my reviews later with you. Thanks for the recommendation.

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah burgess, check it out, its a great flick,

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Scaramouche said:
Dear St,
If you enjoy Jack Lemmon and Shirley Maclaine in this you will also enjoy Irma "La Douce"
cool, ill look for it on my cable movie listings.