Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anybody Buy A Tailored Suit?

Maximus Rex

Banned
Reaction score
For me, being able to get a tailored suit is like saying, "This is it, I've arrived." I'm very much into the idea of going to tailor picking out a fabric, getting measured, and having some clothes specifically made for me. Like they say used to say in the 70's, "I can dig it."

I was in Davidoff once talking to a guy that worked for Barney's. Dude basically said, tailors are like barbers, once you find one to your liking, you'll go to this same guy for the rest of your life. I was wondering if those of you who get tailored suits feel the same way.

Also if there really a difference between a rack suit and tailored one? Is the quality of the product superior? The immediate benefit would be you know the clothes are going to fit properly.

I'm in the market for a raincoat. They range in price from $140 for a cheap one to the London Fog that was over a "g," and the Burberry that was $1525. What's the difference. I found that median price for a raincoat was $340 to about $500.

Scrumtulescence

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One thing I don't understand about the whole tailored suit thing- you pay so much to make the suit a perfect fit for your body, but what if your weight/shape fluctuates a little? What if you lose weight, or work out and gain some muscle? Doesn't the suit then become off-the-rack semi-good-fit suit?

youknowtherest

Don Juan
Reaction score
You do have to keep going back and getting it tailored. About twice a year I take in my suits; at least, the ones I wear regularly. Costs about $30 per suit to keep them maintained this way.

Grown men do not wear off-the-rack suits.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unless you've worn one it's hard to understand the allure or a tailored suite. Now understand that a tailored suit is different than a custom made suit. Like it was said, it only cost a few extra dollars. The extra money spent would make an off the rack that fits into one that fits well and will actually add to the suit's life.

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "tailored", as you can buy a "tailored" suit from Banana Republic for ~$500, i.e. a jacket with waist suppression and medium to heavy darting with flat-front, slim trousers. A bespoke suit is different, and it seems to be what you're describing. You pick the fabrics, you do three or more fittings, the tailor makes the suit for YOU. There are myriad differences between the two: OTR jackets are fused (the canvas breastplate in the chest is glued to the lining and the outer of the jacket), generally don't have functioning buttonholes, and may not last as long, though this is less of an issue with modern construction. Bespoke jackets are usually fully canvassed (the breastplate floats between the inner and outer, which gives a better fit), has functioning buttonholes, and can last decades with proper care. You can buy a bespoke suit from, say, Anderson & Sheppard on Savile Row for ~£2250.

There are levels between, of course. You can buy a very, very nice OTR suit - Dior Homme or Brioni, for example - for around the same price as an A&S suit, and it will last as long. Brooks Brothers do bespoke as well, for $1500-2000.

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are off the rack, made to measure and "tailored". "Tailored" would be "bespoke" I suppose. Off the rack is annoying if your body is not the same as the one used for the pattern, and let's face it, the average body is not a terribly good one.

I used to get these suits made which were at the bottom end of tailoring. They would measure me then cut it, then fit it, then stitch it. I could get an extra pair of pants, (which is what wears out first) and you often can't get that for off the rack. You pick the cloth. I would always pick English cloth with nice wool, maybe some cashmere.

Alas, they went out of business after 40 years. You can buy an expensive designer suit made to measure. They tell me that Zegna suits are made in Switzerland. You are therefore getting made to measure, but paying $2,500 AUD.

Is it worth it? The problem with off the rack is that it will need a lot of alteration to get it to a good fit (at the bottom end). Some of the more expensive off the rack is designed for a close fit, but it seems to me that when you get to those prices you are paying the same as what you would pay for a low end tailor made suit, so...

I would rather have a reasonable low end tailor made suit than an expensive designer suit which is off the rack.

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I probably have about 10+ tailored suits, and I love every single one of them to death. You can't even begin to compare an off the rack suit with a tailored one. It's like night and day.

Besides being a perfect fit for your body, you feel like a million bucks when walking down the street.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Centaurion said:
I probably have about 10+ tailored suits, and I love every single one of them to death. You can't even begin to compare an off the rack suit with a tailored one. It's like night and day.

Besides being a perfect fit for your body, you feel like a million bucks when walking down the street.
I can see your point, if you dont wear suits too often. If you wear them everyday, you cant wait to get them the fukc off! Tailored suits are only an extra 150 (around) more than one you see in the store. You simply try one on you like that is around your size, gets the legs and arms taken up or down a bit to fit your limbs, and then get the back taken in a bit if you have a smaller waist. Custom made is the kind you are thinking of I think. And I dont see the point of that, since once you get a tailored suit (if your in decent shape), you will look just as good anyways. If you want a custom made suit, go to Thailand! You will get them as cheap as biscuits! Enjoy the great feeling that comes with wearing a suit, because once your used to it, you wont experience it too often again, except when you get a new great suit, that will only end up being a shade different to the ones if your current rack.

oojam

Reaction score
Hie friends... I am oojam...
for me tailored suits are my discovery of this year because i was not happy with my attires finally i got sunnyscustomtailor after someone's suggestion.

Huffman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got one, in Thailand. Now I look like a boss when I go to weddings, or funerals.

Gotta check if it still fits, bulked up recently.