Any tips for someone just looking to lose wieght?

pjtheman

Don Juan
Reaction score
I read alot on this forum about how to loose weight without loosing muscle as well, I'm quite fat and realy couldn't care less wether or not i'm a skiny runt as long as I can shift some of this lard. any tips for cutting the fat without making drastic changes to my diet and exersising to much (I have a pretty hectic sheduale which is why I post at such antisocial hours and need to keep my energy levels up :yawn: )

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
any tips for cutting the fat without making drastic changes to my diet and exersising to much
Well you could start by making changes to your diet and exercising more...

Judging by your post, you're the kind of guy who could stay fat forever. Why? Because you either don't know or don't want to accept that your overall lifestyle is what affects your body the most. Unless you start habitually exercising more and eating healthier, you will be fat for the rest of your life.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eat a huge breakfast. Don't eat 4 hours before bed. Run in the morning before breakfast. Harder than a warmup, less than regular exercise. Pay attention to your food. When eating, only eat. Don't watch TV or drive or.... etc. The food needs to register.

talrock

Don Juan
Reaction score
pjtheman said:
I read alot on this forum about how to loose weight without loosing muscle as well, I'm quite fat and realy couldn't care less wether or not i'm a skiny runt as long as I can shift some of this lard. any tips for cutting the fat without making drastic changes to my diet and exersising to much (I have a pretty hectic sheduale which is why I post at such antisocial hours and need to keep my energy levels up :yawn: )

it sounds like you want the results without putting in the effort. just by simply cleaning up your diet and exercising for 20-30 min several times a week is manageable. start learning to read nutrition labels and avoid sugars and foods high in bad fat/carbs. eat more whole grains and fresh veggies as a source of carbs. nuts, peanut butter, olive oil for healthy fats, and protein can come from chicken, tuna, fish, etc.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cut out all the junk, sugars, etc. Nothing like white pasta or white bread either, stick to the wholegrain varieties. You can have a couple of cheat meals a week, but keep the portions to a reasonable size, and count it towards your overall calories for that day. You shouldn't be starving yourself, you want to raise your metabolism with some cardio and keep your calories 15-20% below maintenance. Look up the Katch-McArdle formula for accurate daily calorie requirements.

Try to eat 4-6 smaller meals a day, and be sure to have a good helping of protein at each meal. Every 4th day bump your calories to maintenance levels to keep your metabolism high.

Start of with weights 2-3 times a week and take a few weeks to learn good form, but don't go too light. Use ironaddicts.com for any weights info.

Add in cardio 3-5 days a week for 30-45 minutes, and you are set. Biking, rowing, elliptical are ideal. Running doesn't go hand in hand with weight training. I would try to do more days rather than less.

When losing fat you can expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week. If you are new to weight training however you may put on some muscle which may be misleading as that will counterbalance the weight dropping on the scale. It is therefore a good idea to measure your waist and look in the mirror. Since you have quite a bit of weight to lose however, I'd also measure chest/arms/legs. There should be noticeable changes every 1-2 weeks, if not something is wrong.

If weight loss is slow, reduce the number of carbs you are eating and eat more protein.

I would also supplement 15g of fish oil per day or one tablespoon to aid in fat loss. Good luck,

Quagmire

a simple path

Reaction score
Wow I think the guys here have pretty much given you some good advice up front.

You know what you need to do. Stop shoveling food into that mouth, for one. How obese are you? If you're morbidly obese, the 1st step is STOP EATING SO MUCH. It's the same thing they tell active alcoholics...the first step is always STOP DRINKING.

You talk about "shifting" the lard. Huh???
Dude, forget shifting it, you gotta dump it. Lose it.
You don't want that fat anywhere on your body. Are you serious about losing fat or are you deluding us and yourself?

yungahdubz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
a simple path said:
Wow I think the guys here have pretty much given you some good advice up front.

You know what you need to do. Stop shoveling food into that mouth, for one. How obese are you? If you're morbidly obese, the 1st step is STOP EATING SO MUCH. It's the same thing they tell active alcoholics...the first step is always STOP DRINKING.

You talk about "shifting" the lard. Huh???
Dude, forget shifting it, you gotta dump it. Lose it.
You don't want that fat anywhere on your body. Are you serious about losing fat or are you deluding us and yourself?
Lol, calm down.

By "shifting" he did mean losing it, not moving it elsewhere on his body haha.

It's just a way of saying it in the UK.

She_feelin_Me

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was 240lbs last year and I was tired of it...im 26 now and 195lbs. I went from chubby to slim. a 42 waist to a 36. I always use to wear 6x long black tees with everything to hide my fat. Now I wear 1x t-shirts, polos and slim fitting jeans. And all I did was stop the complaining and took a stand. Cut back on everything, I eat small portions, more veggies, I work out 3 times a week and if you cant find a gym or afford one then the track at the local high, middle or elementary school is FREE!! or run around your neighborhood! Grind for a month I mean stick to a master plan and set a goal and DO IT! After 1 month I started to shed weight and I was like damn If I keep up with this I can reach my goal.

Every month I set a goal to lose 5lbs(not much) but its something and every month I blew past my goal. When I had extra money I went out and bought smaller clothes that I couldnt fit at that time(MOTIVATION). Next thing I know I was able to fit those clothes and it got to the point I had to buy smaller clothes than before. I did it man and I been fat all my life REAL TALK! Now I surprise anyone that saw me last year and they always say "damn how the **** you get so skinny". I love it! now Im trying to get down to 180 or maybe 175.

And make water your friend!!

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
36 is pretty slim, Im 32 and If I was any smaller round the waist id snap in half, 36 is respectable, and props to the guy for putting the effort in and losing all that weight! thats what the OP needs to do!

To the OP, there is nothing I can add by way of advice, everything you need to know is already in this thread. I would like however to restate the crucial point that there is no result without hard work and dedication.

You cannot lose fat without making changes to your diet and exercising more.
small diet changes and a bit of exercise= small changes.
major diet overhall and an hour of effective exercise a day=ripped to shreds in record time.

how much do you want this? You say you have a hectic shedual? Is it really that hectic? is ANYTHING in your life right now really more important than becoming healthier so you are more attractive to women, more able to live your life to the full and able to live years longer?
I doubt it.

Stop making excuses, find the time, if you cant find it, make it. Follow the advice in this thread. Do all this and keep us updated, we will keep you motivated.

Good Luck

Cure.

blinkwatt101

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Losing weight is all in the food(or not). Honestly the fastest way to lose weight is to not eat and just walk all day on a treadmill but that isn't safe. But that isn't safe. So I would suggest just sticking to a low protein,higher(not really high) heart rate cardio driven by fruits and veggies.

Forget trying to save muscle. Your going to waste time and get frustrated trying to do it that way. Focus on just looking your fat in the eye and saying 'f you'.

You can go in the gym,run five miles,but what good is it if you had salad dressing at lunch.

ALWAYS MAKE YOUR TRIPS TO THE GYM A PROGRESSION FOR YOUR BODY,NOT TRYING TO PLAY CATCH UP.