Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any reason NOT to ditch the cell phone?

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lately I've been trying to think of ways to spend less, and to do that you have to give up something. It's easier to give up something if the benefit wasn't that great, and the cost of exit isn't too bad.

When trying to think of it, I noticed that the savings would be large. But, it's easy for me to look at the money, the strictly financial cost factor. I already know about ETF (Early Termination Fees), but since I have a high cost phone that I could resell I can make back most of the fee, if not all of it.

I can see other benefits too, since I will no longer be able to make plans on the fly, talk while driving, or ensure I'm off the phone before reaching the cashier/customer service/whatever. I will also no longer have to ignore the phone while talking to someone.

What I wonder though, is if there will be any negative social impact? Most people under the age of 40 seem to have them, so I would be joining a minority. I want to know exactly what I'll be getting myself into. This is the sort of thing that isn't in the fine print.

COD

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WELL THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR THAT.........its about getting laid but since you asked I will relate it to seducing women.

LOOKING FOR A PIECE OF SCRAP PAPER AND A PEN IS SOOOOOOOO tacky, the cell is great for getting digits on the fly and looks professional.

ITS A GREAT WAY TO GET A CHICS PHONE NUMBER WITHOUT ACTUALLY ASKING HER, it's great for social proof for all the chics you met....camera, It is great if you get lost and cant find your date, looks very cool at nite with all the glowing key pad and screen, great for TEXT FLIRTING, calling for a nooner or booty call on the fly.

The cell phone is like a portable wingman, you can access the internet and get pick-up lines, advice, motivation, etc. How are you going to remeber all the phone numbers/names of women you meet. I could go on here but the advantages are many. It's like getting rid of your computer, T.V., microwave...sure you could live without it.......but it just makes it more difficult. PHONES are not going away....there here to stay and are a great ice breaker, sense of style and are getting cooler all the time. I just palyed with the I-phone today and man this thing rox.

PHONES AND SEDUCING WOMEN...........a much needed tool

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not? I thought being a DJ is beyond how many women you can get. I also thought it was about being better socially. Since I asked about how not having a cell phone may or may not have a social impact, I figured that it belongs here.

Is pen and paper that tacky? I always keep a pen somewhere on my person, though if I go out I usually put it in a trouser pocket. As for paper, I can use paper napkins or paper towels. I wouldn't care if a chick didn't have a cell phone. In fact I can see certain advantages to that. I did think of the "borrow her phone and call myself" method, but then again, I can still call myself. I have Caller ID.

I can use a Rolodex (tm) to keep numbers. Anyway, it's amazing really the number of numbers I can remember.

I also don't plan to lose people, and it hasn't proved to be a problem. As for being stood up/others being late, no difference. If it's a restaurant I'll eat alone, satisfy my own hunger. If it's a bar/club, I'll just find other people. I'll just get the excuses later instead of sooner.

The portable wingman idea didn't occur to me before, but then I'd have to pay $45/mo. more to get Internet through the phone, and I can't be bothered to pay that.

Who actually uses text messages? I thought only pre-teen girls used it, since they can't talk in class. I actually have text message block, so I can't send or receive any. Plus I have a Treo and the buttons are too small to type quickly. I've only had one complaint about it, so I figure that there can't be too many.

Also, isn't showing off your phone like showing off your computer? I can go on and on about how I have an Opteron CPU, how I got more for less since I assembled it myself, and how it can run Vista comfortably despite being three years old without upgrades, but I don't.

socalrunner

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, everyone I know has a cell phone. Its annoying and wierd IMO when someone wouldn't. You'd soon miss emergencies, and can no longer talk to your *****es on the go. Not worth it...try finding something else to save money on like INTERNET

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
internet's too important, imo. Maybe ditch cable tv?

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
socalrunner said:
Dude, everyone I know has a cell phone. Its annoying and wierd IMO when someone wouldn't. You'd soon miss emergencies, and can no longer talk to your *****es on the go. Not worth it...try finding something else to save money on like INTERNET
Why is it weird or annoying if someone doesn't have a cell phone?

Also, you must have a hectic life. Once in winter I slid into a ditch on the highway, but other than that nothing has ever happened to me that qualifies as an emergency. And that one time, there must have been at least half a dozen people who stopped and asked if I was fine or if I needed help, so without a cell phone I would've been fine.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What if some one you know, like a family member is having an emercency? Minutes could be critical if your contact number is a land line and you're not home.

The benifits of a cell phone far outweigh th cost IMO. I personally need one for work. As a promoter, I'm required to have one at all times. If someone on my team or my boss needs to get a hold of me because there's a hot spot around town and they need back up, then I have to be reachable. Otherwise I both let them down and lose out on money for myself.

You should also think about finding people when you're out and about. Cell phones are convient when you're going to an area you're not framiler with because someone can guide you second by second. When you're picking someone up from the airport, you can be kept up to speed with that person as they arrive or if you're getting off a flight as well. If you have to ask some one a question while you're running an erron, you can do it at will.

There are countless reasons as to why having a cell phone makes life that much easier because it increases your ability to communicate important information to those around you. At this point in life, not having one puts you at a serious disadvantage in this face paced world.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think there could be a negative social impact. It could seem a little strange to people that you don't have a cell to some people, but others might think you're cool because you choose not to have a cell. And it would be harder to get ahold of people when you're out without a cell, as people screen their calls and they might not take calls from public phones or whatever you plan to use. It's also more convenient to have a phone on you than depend on a home phone or public phones. It's also easier to carry a phone around than a rolodex or address book. In my opinion, I don't think it's worth ditching

I would save money by getting rid of my home phone. That saves at least $40 right there. Another thing to look into might be a prepaid phone if you don't really spend that much time on the phone anyway. As far as cheap plans go, I know t-mobile offers 300 mins a month for only $30.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, you're rearranging deckchairs on the titanic. If you have finance problems, look at why you do, because your finances suck, not because you have a phone.

If you spend THAT much on it, leave it at home, or turn it off.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cell phones are over rated. But instead of keeping a monthly plan consider switching to a prepaid plan (as lone as you're not a cellaholic).

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
internet's too important, imo. Maybe ditch cable tv?
I agree. For better or worse, it's becoming so. Plus my Internet service also has an ETF that, with respect to the cost, is high. I'd have to pay the aggregate of half the monthly fees for the remainder of the contract. It sucks, but it's the only choice so I'm stuck. It's also a crappy service where I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth, so it sucks even more. I'm making sure my next apartment has more choices. I can't wait until the lease is up.

As for cable TV, I already don't have it. The reason wasn't cost, but because I never had the habit since I grew up without it. Even so, it's a cost most have but I don't. I don't even know what it costs, since I've never subscribed to it.

I do have some good news. I might not have to cancel after all. Why? I have a family plan, where I'm the primary account holder. My parents have the other lines. I ran the idea by my mother, and in her motherly fashion is afraid something bad will happen and doesn't want me to cancel. So, she'll send me some more money each month, to cover the cost, or at least most of it.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Any DJ or aspiring DJ MUST have a celly. Sometimes a girl will ask "what's your cell number", and how bad does that look to say "sorry, I don't have one". Even 5 years ago people were looking at me strange when I didn't carry one.

It's just social proof. Carrying a cellphone doesn't necessarily mean you are important or have it ringing off the hook with friends and girls, but NOT carrying one is a definite sign that you DON'T and that will be a turnoff to a girl who just met you and she's looking for any clue she can detect to size you up. She'll figure either you have no money(turnoff) or that you have no social life(turnoff). You should've bought a cheap phone with a cheap $30/month plan if money is a problem. In fact T-Mobile gave me the Motorola V3 for free with my contract. Keep the phone dude. It just looks cool when you're about the close the set handing the girl the phone and telling her to punch her number in. And if she starts fumbling around with the buttons if she's unfamiliar with your model, there's an opportunity for C&F. "What, haven't you ever punched a number in before? Geez...wink"

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
with all these high tech cell phones out these days.... I have a blackberry..t that's prepaid. and I put about 30 bucks a month on it every 2 months.

I (gasp) actually use my HOUSE phone. I don't use either that much, I'm not a phone person. If I call it's to setup something.. I don't sit on the phone with anyone.

i keep it only because 1) emergencies, 2) with everything, moderation is key. don't get rid of it, learn to live with it. just don't use it. the cell phone isn't the problem. the phone is the problem. talking all the damn time is the problem.

Financially.... I assure you 70 bucks a month isn't driving you to financial ruin.. check over your spending habits.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Any DJ or aspiring DJ MUST have a celly. Sometimes a girl will ask "what's your cell number", and how bad does that look to say "sorry, I don't have one". Even 5 years ago people were looking at me strange when I didn't carry one.

It's just social proof. Carrying a cellphone doesn't necessarily mean you are important or have it ringing off the hook with friends and girls, but NOT carrying one is a definite sign that you DON'T and that will be a turnoff to a girl who just met you and she's looking for any clue she can detect to size you up. She'll figure either you have no money(turnoff) or that you have no social life(turnoff). You should've bought a cheap phone with a cheap $30/month plan if money is a problem. In fact T-Mobile gave me the Motorola V3 for free with my contract. Keep the phone dude. It just looks cool when you're about the close the set handing the girl the phone and telling her to punch her number in. And if she starts fumbling around with the buttons if she's unfamiliar with your model, there's an opportunity for C&F. "What, haven't you ever punched a number in before? Geez...wink"
no it means I don't sit on the damn phone all day waiting for people to call me.. just give them a house phone number. however I do have a cell phone but I don't give my number out when I met people, I give them my house phone.. that way when I don't feel like dealing, I just jack the damn ph one out the wall and be done with it.

you have to earn the cell phone number... seriously

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^^^ You know, you CAN actually turn the cell phone off if you don't want to be bothered at any particular time.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no I can't... because I have actual business contacts that call me, plus family, plus people I actually give a **** about. Could I give it out? sure. but why? Besides it giving me the assurance in knowing when my cell rings, it's important, it gives women another hoop to jump throw.. and we know how much women love hoops.

When you call my house, I have the ultimate control. I can listen to the voice mail, I can call you, I can wait I can cut the house phone all and go to sleep. I don't have to worry about you running my text bill up when I'm not answering, etc. I can say I'm not home. I can say I'm sleep... i could be tapping a girl from the back, looking at the phone while it's ringing and think nothing of it. however you are always expected to to answer your cell phone, because it's always on you.

that's something my dad (who could give everyone here a lesson in handling multiple women) thought me... some things are better kept as simple as possible.. my dad still has.. get this...

A PAGER!!!

why?

because he's married and still gets ass form other women. now, that's neither here nor there and I won't get into it, but he doesn't have ego worry bout them blowing up their phone.... either one house or cell. Only his family, me and his best friends and his wife has his cell phone. he won't even call a woman back from his phone. the only female who has his number is my mom, who is his ex wife.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
..It's just social proof. Carrying a cellphone doesn't necessarily mean you are important or have it ringing off the hook with friends and girls, but NOT carrying one is a definite sign that you DON'T and that will be a turnoff to a girl who just met you and she's looking for any clue she can detect to size you up.
Oh yeah, and we all know about the quality of a woman who judges you by the cell phone that you carry. :up:

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by PRMoon:
What if some one you know, like a family member is having an emercency? Minutes could be critical if your contact number is a land line and you're not home.
It wouldn't matter to me. I live too far away to be useful. But, it does seem like a valid argument, if the circumstances are right (i.e. living in the same town as your parents). As for your job, that makes sense, although I doubt most people have jobs like that. Even if they did, I know employers often provide cell phones.

As far as finding people, I figure that I can just make arrangements before I head on out. I take down addresses and use maps to find out how to get there, if the directions I printed aren't making any sense. If I'm in a new town or city, the very first thing I do is find a gas station or convenience store, and buy a map.

As for fast-paced, I must be different. While I don't believe in wasting time, I also don't think "OK...how can I squeeze as much as possible into this two-hour time slot." I've discovered that being in a hurry greatly increases the likelihood of forgetting things, which means I either waste time or pay dearly (i.e. forgot the umbrella, and then it rains heavily). Plus, isn't it just a horrible way to live? I don't like to think in terms of anything less than half-an-hour, unless for whatever reason I must.

WesCottII:

I'm only trying to think of a way to spend less without dramatically affecting the way I live. I never said that I have an army of collections agents trying to beat down my door, or anything similar. For example, if one wants to drive to Chicago, he happens to live about 130 miles away, and the gas is cheaper where he lives, shouldn't he top off the gas tank before driving, to avoid filling up in Chicago? It's a cost saving measure that doesn't significantly affect his desires or ability to go there. That's actually something that happened to me before. I used to live about 130 miles out from Chicago, and needed to go there. Can I afford the Chicago gas? Yes. Is there any reason to pay an additional $.25 or so a gallon if you don't have to? No. In this case there's no benefit.

Besides, a monthly cell phone plan is a flat cost, unless you go over. In that case you should either immediately start talking less, or upgrade to the next larger plan. Simply not using it won't save any money. You'd have to actually cancel it.

Francisco:

I've thought of that, and it just might be cost effective. I, for one, really dislike long phone conversations. But I have a greater tolerance for them if it's someone who's very far away.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Oh yeah, and we all know about the quality of a woman who judges you by the cell phone that you carry. :up:
Think deeper dude. The cell phone is just an object. But that object says something else about you, at least in the eyes of someone who doesn't know you. Now say you've been in a serious relationship with a girl for 2 years and you tell her you're going to ditch your phone because you don't want the trouble. She'll probably think nothing of it because she knows you well as a person. But a girl who knows nothing about you that you just met is looking at EVERYTHING she can to access your worth, whether it's the clothes you wear, your eye contact, how clean your fingernail are, whether you carry a phone, whether you drive a beat up old car. Sure none of that stuff may be significant to a girl that's known you awhile, but if she doesn't know you, she is going to judge you on superficial things because there is nothing else to judge you by if she doesn't know you. It's competitive as hell out there for a good looking woman we all want. Why do ANYTHING that may f*ck up your game and give her a reason to disqualify you.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
first, i love that handle speakeasy

to my point: here is what most people make the mistake of. I DONT' GIVE A **** WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK.

I've had a woman throw a smart ass remark about "I don't call house phones", so I said "well then you won't be calling me.. bye".

you should never, ever, EVER do something because of the way someone will perceive you. i get piece of mind without my cell phone going off the hook all damn day. My house phone rings so much I cut the ringer off and just check the messages at night or though the day if I am home. I couldn't imagine that being my cell phone.

you do something that YOU want to do BECAUSE you want to do it

if a stupid cvnt thinks I'm "worthless" because I don't have an iphone.. and I do have a blackberry, but it's prepaid and they don't get the number, even thought the phone is right there, and I will tell them why as well... lol, who is REALLY loosing out? it sure is hell isn't me